http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPdShWevWoU

And no, I don't mean imitate him but rather to get a feel of how he sings.

How should my throat feel? Where should I be aiming all that 'energy' to, if you will.
He sounds very resonant but I can't tell if he's singing from the throat or if its all coming from his diaphragm. Maybe he's doing a mix of both??

Anywho, it becomes really frustrating sometimes because I think of a certain way he sings, try it, and then later find out that it's wrong.

Any exercises that would help me sound as resonant and have a pretty powerful voice like this fellow? I know it takes years but god...some words of wisdom could sure help me now!!

Thanks
Van Morrison is a great "bad" example. I love his voice too. But.... he sings completely from his throat. He gets projection by pushing his voice. Like Brian Johnson from AC/DC, I consider it a small miracle that that man can even still speak.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Oh wow, well thank you for clearing that up! I do know that before he went solo, he really did wreck his vocals a lot with Them. During Moondance, I think he started with a different singing approach but I guess it is still coming from the throat.

And yes, I am surprised too that he can still sing (with the amount of alcohol he's consumed over the years)