OK, I'm being over dramatic.

The thread about the new Fender stuff made me drool over a couple of the new bassman products at the same time as reminding me that I really need a new bass cab.

I probably just need a 4x10, but humour me in this thread because I have some major 6x10 GAS going on. I'm not sure if a 4x10 and a 2x10 or a straight 6x10 would be the better way to go, I suppose it sepends on what I can find.

/rambling

My problem is basically that my amp is stupidly high wattage and cabs usually aren't.

These are the specs I'm after:
-700+ watts @ 8 ohm or 1100+ watts @ 4 ohm
-not bigger than a standard 6x10
-as light as possible
-10" speakers (probably have to be NEO since ceramic won't have the power handling)
-Not aluminium.

As I said a 6x10 or a combo of a 4x10 and a 2x10 is both fine.

Ideas, guys?

EDIT: and if I could keep it under $2000AU please, $1500 if possible.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Is that the same as the 6x10 on this page?

http://basscentre.com.au/index.php?module=Website&action=Text&content=1123913202640-4647&parentContent=1122957391234-8397

If so, that seems perfect. That 1200 is RMS, right?

And idea how heavy it would be?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

I'm thinking a Carvin BR410N-4 should fit your needs though I don't know how much they are down under.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Weight isn't as much of an issue with a 610 as the size of the stupid thing is. Do you have a trailer or a bigger car? I struggle to fit mine across the back of my Falcon but it gets in there... eventually.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Weight isn't as much of an issue with a 610 as the size of the stupid thing is. Do you have a trailer or a bigger car? I struggle to fit mine across the back of my Falcon but it gets in there... eventually.

I havn't got a car yet, but one of the top requirements will be able to fit my gear in.

As long as I can get it in the back seat sideways, I reckon I'm good.

Quote by dark Mass
I'm thinking a Carvin BR410N-4 should fit your needs though I don't know how much they are down under.

Hideously expensive. Especially since I'd want a 2x10 too.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90

Hideously expensive. Especially since I'd want a 2x10 too.

Okay.

I can't think of any anything else other than Epifani, Ampeg, Aguilar, and Mesa Engineering. I suspect that they are out of budget right?
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by dark Mass
Okay.

I can't think of any anything else other than Epifani, Ampeg, Aguilar, and Mesa Engineering. I suspect that they are out of budget right?

I've never really liked anything Ampeg. I suppose I could look at them.
I can't find anywhere that does Epifani in Australia but theirt 6x10 looks really nice.
I've foind a couple of Aguilar stockers but no 6x10s.
The mesa 6x10 is both $3000 and not enough power handling.

I'm definitely leaning towards the SWR.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
Is that the same as the 6x10 on this page?

http://basscentre.com.au/index.php?module=Website&action=Text&content=1123913202640-4647&parentContent=1122957391234-8397

If so, that seems perfect. That 1200 is RMS, right?

And idea how heavy it would be?

Yes, it is the same cabinet. 1200 watts RMS at 4 ohms. 115 pounds.

http://www.swrsound.com/products/search.php?partno=4410300010
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Bass People in Sydney do Epifani. I completely forgot about Bergantino, Bass Gear Direct do them along with Glockenlang and EA. Ask about the Berg stuff on OzBassForum heaps of people there own them and have massive hard-ons for 'em.

EDIT: The MarkBass 610 is under 2k as well iirc. If you can't find something on a shop's website just do the ring-around. Dave and Guy at Bass Centre are really helpful dudes and the only person I've delt with at Bass People is Joel and he's a really helpful dude too.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at May 29, 2011,
Pfft, wimp. 2x15 is where it's at

Why dont you try looking at EBS neoline pro cabs? I heard they're pretty good and it has 1000W RMS power handling. Not sure how much it would be though, but it's an option.
pinga
Youll be fine with a cab thats not 1200 watts rms. If you do go done the road Epifani, Berg etc they will work really well with a bit more juice then there rated for, it will open them up a lot more.

I would go for a 6x10 over a 4x10 and a 2x10 unless you can get a 16 ohm 2x10. Youll be driving the 2x10 alot harder then the 4x10 putting equal amounts of power into them both. The 2x10 will underperform trying to keep up with the 4x10.

Also you coulod go down the route of 2 4x10's. One for smaller gigs or practise or whatever or the two when you want to rumble the place up.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Cb4rabid
Pfft, wimp. 2x15 is where it's at

Well you're a wimp too until you get one of these 4x15s

EDIT: he does have 4x15s but they may be 8x12s in the picture, I'm not sure.

Why dont you try looking at EBS neoline pro cabs? I heard they're pretty good and it has 1000W RMS power handling. Not sure how much it would be though, but it's an option.

I'll have a look, but I have to admit I'm not all that comfortable using something rated under the power it'll be recieving.

Quote by consecutive e
Bass People in Sydney do Epifani. I completely forgot about Bergantino, Bass Gear Direct do them along with Glockenlang and EA. Ask about the Berg stuff on OzBassForum heaps of people there own them and have massive hard-ons for 'em.

EDIT: The MarkBass 610 is under 2k as well iirc. If you can't find something on a shop's website just do the ring-around. Dave and Guy at Bass Centre are really helpful dudes and the only person I've delt with at Bass People is Joel and he's a really helpful dude too.

Thanks, mate, I'll definitely look into all of those ideas.

Quote by fatgoogle
Youll be fine with a cab thats not 1200 watts rms. If you do go done the road Epifani, Berg etc they will work really well with a bit more juice then there rated for, it will open them up a lot more.

I would go for a 6x10 over a 4x10 and a 2x10 unless you can get a 16 ohm 2x10. Youll be driving the 2x10 alot harder then the 4x10 putting equal amounts of power into them both. The 2x10 will underperform trying to keep up with the 4x10.

Also you coulod go down the route of 2 4x10's. One for smaller gigs or practise or whatever or the two when you want to rumble the place up.

As I said, I'm not really comfortable overpowering, but I'll still have a look.
Also thanks about the 2x10 advice, I'm probably going to avoid that option now anyway.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Last edited by gilly_90 at May 29, 2011,
A lot of these higher end cabs with actual good speakers them work better with more power going into them. I know it for barefaced and berg cabs anyway.
Last edited by fatgoogle at May 29, 2011,
Yeah, but Al is Al...I don't even think i'd be able to fit a 4x15 and move it without snapping myself in half.

@EBS, 1kW is still alot of power, probably more than you'll need. They don't make a 610 but they do have a 210 extension.
pinga
I might recommend an Avatar setup. Their 4x10 is rated at 1000w rms, weighs 65lbs, and is just under $600 including shipping. You could even get the 2x10 to top it off as it's rated at 500w rms and is only 44lbs. You could easily snag both for under $1000.

They are neo cabs, very reliable, transparent, and sound hella good.

Plus you can customize them to any color you want.

EDIT: Link

Love the Low end
Last edited by Zeelod at May 29, 2011,
^ Holy shitballs, I'll have to call their Aus stockist tomorrow.

I wish they had a 6x10 though <_<. If their Australian prices are anything like the US prices, I'd be stupid not to I reckon. I know someone who bought a guitar cab of theirs and it was amazing.

How much would I lose by being 400w lower and 2 speakers less than I was considering? As in, how different would it actually be?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

You should totally go for EBS man. Mainly because I dont hear about them at all on this forum and I just wonder what they sound like
pinga
Australian prices for Avatar aren't bad, for here anyway. There's a few of their guitar cabs on eBay the 212s go for $1200 which is pretty ehh. Pretty sure you can get a new Orange PPC212 for less than that. I know which one I'd go for
Have you thought about a 412? Mids ahoy.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at May 29, 2011,
Quote by Cb4rabid
You should totally go for EBS man. Mainly because I dont hear about them at all on this forum and I just wonder what they sound like

Tal Wilkenfeld plays them. Listen to her stuff for a good idea of what EBS amps and cabinets sound like.
Ebs are very transparent with a huge amount of topend, but really good amps overall. Wouldnt mind me a fafner.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Wouldnt mind me a fafner.

I want this VERY much!

Tone to die for!
A fafner powering a 2x12 and 1x18 for all my dubstep needs.

The fafner is a bit more growly as you can imagine. The Td 650 or 350 (i think thats what there called) are both more transparent and clean and as i said i thought they had a lot of high end sizzle but are really great variable amps. Id have no hesitation in buying one if i had the cash.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Growly high end sounds like Dick Lovgren from Meshuggah no wonder he uses EBS.
pinga