Well, here's my second attempt at throwing something together in mixcraft. I'm still learning, but I'm having a great time. I did the beat in beatcraft - sent that to mixcraft, then layed down a bass track and another little guitar solo (both recorded USB via boss gt-10). Like I said earlier, I'm mostly just trying to learn the programs. However, I thought you guys might like a glimpse into what I've been goofing around with.

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=0vCAQx

C4C obviously.. and I'd also appriciate it if you checked out my other recording I just posted:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445980

Thanks urrbody

Edit: I listened to it through headphones just now, and I realize that the hi hat is still panned right. It was dead center in beatcraft - I didn't even intend to record the thing with a stereo image at all. Yet some is panned L and some is R. anybody have any idea why this might be happening?
Last edited by cm880999 at May 28, 2011,
cool song, really funky bluesy feel to it. it reminds me of a 90's sitcom intro theme song if that even makes sense. Also, you should consider getting a soundcloud or something, it's easier to keep track with stuff.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Warned for having the wrong opinion.
not bad at all. needs to be fleshed out into a full song. some of your licks made me think of jimmy page, guitar tone was good.

my latest is The Land Unknown found in my profile.
Quote by crypticslaughtr
cool song, really funky bluesy feel to it. it reminds me of a 90's sitcom intro theme song if that even makes sense. Also, you should consider getting a soundcloud or something, it's easier to keep track with stuff.

Thank you! The guitar was all improv - and my style has developed from many different styles including but not limited to.. funk and blues! I'm getting really into recording these days, so I'm going to make a soundcloud on the double here. Thanks for the suggestion and the kind words!

Quote by monwobobbo
not bad at all. needs to be fleshed out into a full song. some of your licks made me think of jimmy page, guitar tone was good.

my latest is The Land Unknown found in my profile.

I know, my next project will be a full length song. This was just one of a couple tracks I wound up with as I was learning the ins and outs of the software, thought people might be interested to hear it. Jimmy page is a champ - to say some of my improv reminds you of him is beyond a compliment to me. Thank you so much! The guitar tone was just a Boss drive amp model that's built into my pedal board, I EQ'd it a bit but other then that I left it as is. I never was big on effects or anything - I've always thought that your "tone" is created just as much by the attitude you play your guitar with as it is by any amp or gear that you are using. In any case, Thank you for the kind words. I listened to and commented on "The Land Unknown" in your profile.
Quote by cm880999
Thank you! The guitar was all improv - and my style has developed from many different styles including but not limited to.. funk and blues! I'm getting really into recording these days, so I'm going to make a soundcloud on the double here. Thanks for the suggestion and the kind words!

I know, my next project will be a full length song. This was just one of a couple tracks I wound up with as I was learning the ins and outs of the software, thought people might be interested to hear it. Jimmy page is a champ - to say some of my improv reminds you of him is beyond a compliment to me. Thank you so much! The guitar tone was just a Boss drive amp model that's built into my pedal board, I EQ'd it a bit but other then that I left it as is. I never was big on effects or anything - I've always thought that your "tone" is created just as much by the attitude you play your guitar with as it is by any amp or gear that you are using. In any case, Thank you for the kind words. I listened to and commented on "The Land Unknown" in your profile.

thanx for your comments. the rhythm is intended to be a bit quirky but it doesn't always work. i often go for feel over perfection ( i do a ton of takes most of the time as it is sometimes you just have to live with things that aren't 100% right.

your tone is as much in your fingers as any piece of equipment so yeah the attitide you play with will always come through. as for fx they're great when used corredtly or crap if they are just slapped on like makeup on a cheap hooker.
Sweet song. What are you using to create the hat? A vst plugin like EZ drummer or just a regular sample?
Quote by CSMusic
Sweet song. What are you using to create the hat? A vst plugin like EZ drummer or just a regular sample?

Thanks! I'm not sure what a VST plugin is - the hi-hat is just the stock sample in the rock/blues kit that came with beatcraft.
this is a very groovy song, the guitars and the bass sound very good.
the guitar is not exactly tight, but musically its definitely cool.
maybe add some more instruments in the background, to fill the sound up?
and see if you can change the dynamics of the drums a bit, to make them have a more human feel, instead of a robotic one.
im interested to know what a full song by you would sound like.
The ideas were funky as all hell, I wish this was my style, haha, I probably would have enjoyed it more, you add some good vibrato in the beginning, and sounds like it has soul. The only real complaint I have, it might just be me, is that the guitar sounds thin, probably because it's JUST a lead.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
thats pretty cool for something that came out of messing with a program i definitely consider making it full length. i was feeling the funk vibes and the tone of the guitar played into that well. the idea you had in the beginning with the guitar and bass kind of trading off riffs sounded really cool to me so that might be something you want to experiment with more in the future
Quote by cm880999
Thanks! I'm not sure what a VST plugin is - the hi-hat is just the stock sample in the rock/blues kit that came with beatcraft.

VST stands for "Virtual Studio Technology".

The hat may be panned in the sample itself. Meaning it was recorded panned. A few hi-hat samples that I have are panned a bit right or left. Try linking the hat to one of your mixer channels and then just mess with the panning till it sounds center. If that doesn't work then I have no idea lol.
i'm guesing that the drum track is stereo to begin with. the preset tracks i use from my drum machine are in stereo. the other thing that can happen is when the track is converted sometimes weird things happen. one of my songs had the guitar and bass for a good part of the song all panned to the left even though the original recording wasn't like that when converted.
Quote by CSMusic
VST stands for "Virtual Studio Technology".

The hat may be panned in the sample itself. Meaning it was recorded panned. A few hi-hat samples that I have are panned a bit right or left. Try linking the hat to one of your mixer channels and then just mess with the panning till it sounds center. If that doesn't work then I have no idea lol.

I can pan it within beatcraft - but are you suggesting that I send each drum track to the multitrack individually to mess with the stereo image? Because I've just been making the full drum track in beatcraft, then rendering the whole sequence into MP3 format and loading it (as one track) into mixcraft.

Quote by monwobobbo
i'm guesing that the drum track is stereo to begin with. the preset tracks i use from my drum machine are in stereo. the other thing that can happen is when the track is converted sometimes weird things happen. one of my songs had the guitar and bass for a good part of the song all panned to the left even though the original recording wasn't like that when converted.

Yeah, that would make sense - that's definitely what it sounds like. The crash's are the same way, one's panned hard right and the other is hard left. Seems strange to have it panned 100% left (or right, from the listeners perspective).. when recording drums, I know that panning everything a bit is typical to create the 3d stereo image, but all the way? I guess I just have to mess with it.
Quote by cm880999
I can pan it within beatcraft - but are you suggesting that I send each drum track to the multitrack individually to mess with the stereo image? Because I've just been making the full drum track in beatcraft, then rendering the whole sequence into MP3 format and loading it (as one track) into mixcraft.

Yeah, that would make sense - that's definitely what it sounds like. The crash's are the same way, one's panned hard right and the other is hard left. Seems strange to have it panned 100% left (or right, from the listeners perspective).. when recording drums, I know that panning everything a bit is typical to create the 3d stereo image, but all the way? I guess I just have to mess with it.

it sounds strang when wearing headphones but if played on a normal stereo setup it sounds better and more live to your ears. the panning isn't as noticeable. if you listen to many CDs you'll notice this is the way the drums are recorded.
I Dig it man

You've got a real funk vibe going on and that guitar tone sounds like Clapton in his more bluesy pieces.

The chords were nice, I think you should come up with a chord progression following that form, and then let it grow into a complete song. I think your solo pieces would sound great over those chords.

You are my first given and received comment on UG Thanks man
Sounds pretty good, the soloing sounds pretty soulful and i like the overall feel to the song. all in all i think its pretty solid. The drums might need some work though.
Sounds nice. I think it'd sound even better if there was a little bit of gain there in the tone. I really like the whole blues/jazzy concept though. Nice work over all.
short, but nice licks going on there. everything blended well together. extend it a bit longer it'll be pretty cool to listen to.