i currently have a Valveking Head and a marshall 1960a cab and with a boss eq pedal it gives me a really great sound i like...but im moving to an apartment and need to get a smaller amp set up....

i play mainly metal core/ but still want a decent variety in sound

budget will be what i can sell my current rig for maybe about 100-200USD on top of it

and i need to be able to keep up with a drummer still so 15+ watts

needs to be a smaller 1x12 - 2x12 amp

i wont go down i tone (I.E. better than a valveking) all tube...

any suggestions?

are the blackstar amps comparable in tone?
i dont really like the marshall haze its doesnt have enough gain
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
a Randall RM20 combo?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Blackstar amps are great amps, also you might want to check out a smaller line 6 amp. THey are decent quality and affordable.
honestly, anything tube will be as loud as the valveking, If you're gigging, and use your current amp, keep it and just turn it down when you need it turned down. a 15+ watt tube amp will barely be quieter (idk if you know, but it takes 10x the wattage to get 2x the volume) and the valveking can get just as quiet.

If you're just playing in your room, but a Line6 pod and good headphones, if you want an amp, don't plan it around using it an apartment, no amp will be a good fit for that.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Quote by sexybacon
Yeah, the Blackstar ht-5 is right up your alley

would that keep up with a drummer though? I know my Dual Terror (30 watts) just barely does it. Plus, low wattage and metalcore don't really mix as well as other genres. It's hard to get the same oomph out of your tone if you can only shake the speaker with 5 watts.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
would that keep up with a drummer though? I know my Dual Terror (30 watts) just barely does it. Plus, low wattage and metalcore don't really mix as well as other genres. It's hard to get the same oomph out of your tone if you can only shake the speaker with 5 watts.

if 30 watts couldnt at least match your drummer your drummer is playing too loud
im not really worried about how loud it can get, i know 15 watts tube is plenty...im not some kid that plays in my bed room , im not going to rent a space to play..

i just dont know anything about al the new small "studio" tube amps that have come out over the last few years. i really havent cared what was out there because i liked my set up. but due to space issues i have to get a smaller amp.

ive kinda been looking into the small krank amps but guitar center doesnt ever have them so ive never checked them out.. are they the same tone wise as a full size

any good input is very welcomed as i know that GG&E is flooded with this threads but ive really havent stayed in touch with all the gear that has come out...i guess thats what happens when you get a bit older

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Don't bother with the Blackstar.

Look into the Randall RM22, it's a 20 watt head with two channels. You can get custom modules and so on from the Randall MTS forum, they're $150 - $250 apiece.

The best thing about the Randall RM stuff is that they're modular - what this means is that you can get modules, which are basically miniature amp preamps, so it's like paying $200 for an entire amp.

You can get a clean module like a Blackface, which is based off a Fender, and pair it with a Dual Rec or some other high gain module if you're playing metal, or get something like a Plexi module for mid gain.

The Krank Rev Jr. is a great amp as well. You should also check out the new Jet City JCA22.

I use a 50 watt Valveking in my apartment as well, and have no problems, but I think it's because my apartment is actually really well designed so you don't hear much, if anything, from the neighbors. I doubt they can hear me either.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at May 28, 2011,
Is because of space or volume issues that you want to get rid of the valve king half stack?
A smaller valve amp wont sound much better then your valve king at apartment volumes really..
Last edited by coolstoryangus at May 28, 2011,
Used Mesa combos. DC-2, DC-3, Rocket 44, the F-series. All can be had for less than $1,000 and they all have great versatility. Plus they'll probably sound better than your Valveking.
Sig What?
its only space issues its kinda hard to fit a half stack in a good place for playing and just sitting there when not playing...as of right now id have to hide it in the closet when not in use

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
looking at the VHT special 6 any good ?

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by numbfinger
looking at the VHT special 6 any good ?

I don't think that's high gain...

If you wanna get any volume out of an amp (regardless of wattage) without pissing neighbors off, you're gonna have to stick it in a closet. It's what I do, keeps the sound down pretty well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??