So I've been doing some research into major thirds tuning and the other day I took my seven string and tuned it to it. Its very nice how every thing is moveable and patterns repeat.
The main sites I've found for this have been:
http://www.ralphpatt.com/Tune.html
http://v2p5.m3guitar.com/
I was just curious if anyone else was interested in this tuning and wanted to share ideas and concepts of it. Also if anyone knows any players other than Ralph Patt that uses this tuning that would be great.
i was actually thinking about trying thise a couple months on my 7.
i thought it would make jazz chords with close voicings a bit easier.
i kinda forgot to try it though =[

EDIT: to the guy above me, everything isnt moveable because of the G to B string.
take a G major bar chord shape, move it to the A string. is it C major? no

see what im saying?
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Last edited by musicTHEORYnerd at May 27, 2011,
Never used it, but I think I'll try it! It'd be nice to use some tunings other than standard and drop tunings.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
i was actually thinking about trying thise a couple months on my 7.
i thought it would make jazz chords with close voicings a bit easier.
i kinda forgot to try it though =[

EDIT: to the guy above me, everything isnt moveable because of the G to B string.

see what im saying?

It is really nice for some closed voicings. If you finger pick then octives and tenths that where already easy already in standard become just a piece of cake in Major 3rds tuning. Not to mention invertions are really nice and easy to!
I've also tried a little slide(would do more but my action is so low its crazy) and it works out good there to(though some fretting behind the slide makes it really cool).
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd

see what im saying?

oh i was thinking movable is in anything moved down the frets is the same thing, not like moved accross the strings.

and i tried this tuning, came up with some trippy dissonant stuff, kinda fun.
to the guy above me, everything isnt moveable because of the G to B string.

see what im saying?

Sure it is, just remember you always raise the note on the B string.

Same as from C -> F.

It's a little trickier, sure, but it makes a lot of things easier too.
Personally, I find C# G# B# E G# B# to be quite useful. You get the top 5 strings tuned in 3rds and the bottom 2 a fifth apart. It makes for some great post-metal/post-rock sounds (of course you could play any style, but that's just what I find it most useful for personally).
Quote by canvasDude
Personally, I find C# G# B# E G# B# to be quite useful. You get the top 5 strings tuned in 3rds and the bottom 2 a fifth apart. It makes for some great post-metal/post-rock sounds (of course you could play any style, but that's just what I find it most useful for personally).

i just tuned my guitar to this and realized i did it with absolutely no idea what i would do with it.....
Quote by TMVATDI
i just tuned my guitar to this and realized i did it with absolutely no idea what i would do with it.....

Hahaha. Yeah, it's just major 3rds tuning with the 6th string dropped to C# though.