http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-13572992

Quote by Article
Railway bosses have banned World War II re-enactors from wearing Nazi regalia during a 1940s wartime weekend.

About 10,000 people are expected at the East Lancashire Railway (ELR) event in Bury, Greater Manchester this weekend.

With a large Jewish population in the borough, organisers have said they do not want to cause offence to any visitors or local residents.

Thoughts on this?

This has really pissed me off in my opinion, it's supposed to be a re-enactment yet they're stopping people from wearing axis uniforms purely for political correctness, it's ridiculous.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Yay for making strict guidelines on dress to show how anti-fascist you are!

I kid, I kid. But yeah, I don't like Nazis.
It's a reenactment.

That's like watering down Civil war reenactments because people are offended by the southern flag.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Primus2112
It's a reenactment.

That's like watering down Civil war reenactments because people are offended by the southern flag.

There's some douche next door to my grandma with a flag pole in his yard, and he flies the Confederate flag over the American flag. That's offensive. This stuff? No. What else are they supposed to wear?
Quote by due 07
Yay for making strict guidelines on dress to show how anti-fascist you are!
I kid, I kid. But yeah, I don't like Nazis.

This.

Also people should be able to wear whatever they want, people are always going on about the rights their forefathers 'fought for'. Well can we not be banning people from wearing things then? I thought it was meant to be a free country.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at May 28, 2011,
Quote by space aids
There's some douche next door to my grandma with a flag pole in his yard, and he flies the Confederate flag over the American flag. That's offensive. This stuff? No. What else are they supposed to wear?

This.
I mean, as I heard Jimmy Carr say...offence is taken, not given. There's nothing inherently offensive about a uniform, people just need to get over themselves for a day. This wasn't even in the light of complaints though? Just the council assuming the Jews are a bunch of sensitive little girls? Christ...
Quote by SkepsisMetal
This.
I mean, as I heard Jimmy Carr say...offence is taken, not given. There's nothing inherently offensive about a uniform, people just need to get over themselves for a day. This wasn't even in the light of complaints though? Just the council assuming the Jews are a bunch of sensitive little girls? Christ...

It's stupid for that reason too, it wasn't just jews that were victims of the nazis.
According to the article, uniforms weren't banned, just nazi symbolism. Granted I do think that's a bit much, especially given it's a historically accurate reenactment, not some sort of nazi celebration or something like that, but it's just the armbands and pins and things like that you'd see on an officer's uniform, which are easily enough removed.

Again, I think it's stupid, but it's not like they're banning any reenactors dressing as a nazi or anything.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Zoot Allures
It's stupid for that reason too, it wasn't just jews that were victims of the nazis.

Exactly. And you'd think that anyone who is part of a "group" who suffered at the hands of the Third Reich, would know full well what to expect at a reenactment of the second world war, if they turned up to it.