I was hoping for suggestions on buying an amp.

I'm looking for something reasonable bout $100 - $200, $300 aboslute max, I only play at home but I do play loud, Id like it to be able to keep up with some drums but thats not crucial, I mainly play with mp3s or backing tracks.

I play heavy metal, Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Iron Maiden, but I also play some subtler things like Van Halen, Satriani, Eric Johnson etc.

I have always used a digitech RP7 for my distortion so gain presets and such are foreign to me I have always used a clean channel.

I need something simple and not so expensive but able to provide the volume but at the same time provide a rich tone.

I have browsed a few sites but man there are way too many options, could somebody maybe point me in a direction? I am kinda privy to marshall but I really haven't experienced many other brands, especially with the selection nowadays.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
If your looking for something with a nice clean channel, you could probably find a used Peavey Valveking in the $250 - $300 range.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
I'd say get something like a Blackstar HT-5. Not sure what they go for nowadays though.

Also, flog your RP7 for whatever you can get and get an OD pedal instead to boost the gain channel.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I second the valveking recommendation.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
The Valveking is nice, but IMO it's a bit too loud just to play at home and get the best sound out of it.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I looked up the valveking and blackstar, I know Im not gonna know until I try them but as far as price goes its a bit steep, as shadow_666 just said...too loud.... I have never had to put an amp above 4 to get what I want.

That being said tho, I set my amp volume and digitech volume according to the tone I want, with the experience with the amps I have had, the louder I crank it the shittier it sounds but at the same time the amp has to take care of that volume without cranking up the digitech.

I like the digitech, I am very dubious about stepping into unknown ground with effects or pedals because its the only thing that has worked for me and I know it. Soon I will switch that out but for now I need something that will project that sound I already have.(Why I don't want to spend a lot, and I might get 50 cents for the digitech)

I used to own a 30 watt marshall and it was great but when I search for that now I get ridiculous prices and too much junk that I can be bothered to fool with.
Are you willing/able to go used?

Cause you're not very likely to get much nice stuff new at that price range. Used, you'd be looking at the stuff we've talked about.
Quote by Cathbard
I am always a little cautious with used electronics but I am looking at everything, Id buy used if its what I am looking for and could rely on it. Where would you recommend buying from?
Where do you live? Craigslist is a good place to look because it gives you a chance to look at the amp first and see if it suits you.

EBay also works but it a bit riskier for obvious reasons.
Quote by Cathbard
I am in virginia I was thinking of musicians friend, I have never used craigslist I have heard only bad things. What equivalents are there nowadays of a 30 watt solid state marshall just out of curiosity?
Quote by BFI
I am in virginia I was thinking of musicians friend, I have never used craigslist I have heard only bad things. What equivalents are there nowadays of a 30 watt solid state marshall just out of curiosity?

Is the Marshall you're thinking of an MG? Cause that's a pretty lousy amp.

If you wanna play metal, tubes are probably your best bet.
Quote by Cathbard
I guess so I have no idea, I used to live in england and that was what I used. The problem I have is all the buddies I have played with have always tried out so many amps and have all sounded like shit to me because its just the guitar and the amp.

I am new to the possibilites that many amps can offer and I am very lazy in regard to settings and effects. I put my guitar volume up, find a sound I like on my digitech(preset always the same), set my eq on the amp and adjust its volume to get the tone I want. Reverb/delay/effects is taken care of, and enough for me, by the rp7.

I just don't want to spend a bunch of money on something that will suck, although I think that almost anything will do, I would also like to move on a bit with what I am adjusted to. I feel that I could buy a 4*12 stack and it would still suck by itself.

EDIT - My wifes cousin bought a 4*12 something or other with a head and all these knobs and buttons, nothing I could do could make it sound good, but put it on clean turn it all the way down, hook up the digitech and it sounded awesome.
Last edited by BFI at May 28, 2011,
peavey ultra 2x12 used it blows the ht5 and vk away
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II