Hello,

I recently came up with a chord progression that I liked which was G7-G6-Am7-Am9.
However, I couldn't find out the key of this piece. After asking around a lot of people had told me C major. Does this mean I have to solo and end on the C scale and C chord?
C major seems to fit, but you have to realize that when looking for a key, you (mostly) look at just the triad (root, third, fifth). so you're looking at a G, and an Am. Since the G has a dominant 7, we can say it's probably the V chord, which would make the key C if Am fits, which it does.

As for soloing, you don't need to solo in C, but that would work. It depends on how you want the piece to feel.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by Nielsyboy
G mixolydian right?

Yes. G mixolydian. (p.s. you asking that, doesn't answer or fix any problems. You are only creating more, and im guessing the OP doesn't know modes, so more problems.... If you want to help, please expand on what you mean.)

G and Am fall under the C scale, so you could solo over that, but you could also create some harmony line using the fifth of C major, which is the G major. Or pentatonic C/G or blues C/G or blah blah blah blah..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Modes depends on what chords you play over. G mixolydian contains the same notes as C major, A minor, E phrygian, etc. They are essentially the same scale. The modal qualities come out when you play them over different chords.

For example, if you played G mixolydian over a C major progression, it would sound like you were playing in C. However, if you played a G mixolydian over a G major progression, the flat 7th of the G mixolydian scale would pop out.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
Modes depends on what chords you play over. G mixolydian contains the same notes as C major, A minor, E phrygian, etc. They are essentially the same scale. The modal qualities come out when you play them over different chords.

For example, if you played G mixolydian over a C major progression, it would sound like you were playing in C. However, if you played a G mixolydian over a G major progression, the flat 7th of the G mixolydian scale would pop out.

I knew that, I just wanted the person who suggested it to clarify. It was a little vague "G mixolydian, right?"

Just thought that was vague and might confuse the OP
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by AngryDance
I recently came up with a chord progression that I liked which was G7-G6-Am7-Am9.
However, I couldn't find out the key of this piece. After asking around a lot of people had told me C major. Does this mean I have to solo and end on the C scale and C chord?

It's in A minor. It's a simple VII - i progression. The G7/G6 acts as the VII and it resolves a whole step up to Am. Remember, the first chord is not necessarily the tonal center.

By the way, nice use of extended chords, TS. I really like how that sounds.
I'm almost done writing the music for a song in C Major, and I did the solo in A Aeolian. My chord prog. is Gmaj. Dmaj. Am7 and C. So far it sounds pretty awesome, but I also moved around other scales but mostly A Aeolian.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
I'm almost done writing the music for a song in C Major, and I did the solo in A Aeolian. My chord prog. is Gmaj. Dmaj. Am7 and C. So far it sounds pretty awesome, but I also moved around other scales but mostly A Aeolian.

Actually looking at your chord progression I'd assume that it was in the key of G major. Regardless if it is in the key of C, you are playing the C major, not A aeolian. It resolves to C, and uses the notes of the C major scale.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud