This one is realllllly stumping me. We all know about midi effects boards and what not but here's my big question:

Is there some kind of software (or anything) that can be run through my rig and automatically switch to different effects or patches for me at a certain time?
I know I sound pretty lazy haha, but I'm just wondering. That kind of technology has to be out there, and google refuses to inform me of it.

Just in case the question was worded badly... What could I use to automatically switch my effects while playing live? and not have to stomp on a single button at all.

Thanks gurus.
hmmmm im sure there are some programs that would do that maybe even a DAW and a MIDI out could do it, not 100% sure tho.

Also unless you guys play to a click track how are you gonna make sure it changes at exactly the right time?
Well I assume you are playing along with some sort of sequencer? Most VST effects can accept MIDI commands as if they were an actual device. You just add the appropriate command to the sequence on the channel you assigned the effect to.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i dont remember who did this or what they used, but i watched a demo of some kind of amp modeling/effects stuff where the guy had it change automatically throughout the song. He would be playing a clean part with some chorus, for example, then at a certain point in the song it would get heavier and distortion and delay would kick on, completely done by the computer. I'll have to try and find it
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
i dont remember who did this or what they used, but i watched a demo of some kind of amp modeling/effects stuff where the guy had it change automatically throughout the song. He would be playing a clean part with some chorus, for example, then at a certain point in the song it would get heavier and distortion and delay would kick on, completely done by the computer. I'll have to try and find it

That's easy, I've done it that way in the studio. All my patch changes were programmed into the sequence. Even done some really tricky stuff like changing the low/high frequency decay on the reverb tails on the fly using real time controller info. Never tried to do it that way live - I hate playing with sequencers. It's ok in the studio because everything is set in stone when multitracking but live; it sucks all the spontaneity out of the performance.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
well there you go. Good ole cathbard knows how to do what I'm talking about haha. If you want to do that and have further questions, I suggest directing them towards him.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Man your timing would have to be dead on to pull that off. Even a half second off and you'd have changes happening noticeably early/late.

Is it that bad using a midi pedal? With most amps these days you can have external switching and program rack FX modules so that one stomp on the midi board changes like 10 different parameters... Or more.

I've thought about what you're talking about, but it seems to me that it would be very impractical for playing live.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I found that the switching delay between receiving the MIDI program change and the GP-8 switching was enough to throw it out. That's fractions of a second, so yeah, you have to be precise. Live, it means the drummer has to be playing perfectly to a click track, you have to do your lead and whatever parts you program, exactly on time exactly as programmed. No room to move about within the song - you do it as programmed or get off stage.
Even though I'd have the song programmed perfectly and using the same equipment, did I ever do it on stage? Hell no, I aint no robot.
You are right though, you just do it with a midi board live. You program everything you want, write the patch numbers on your set list and you're cooking - and you don't have to sell out your creativity to the great android. How many effects you switch or parameters you change is all down to your imagination. You can assign flange regen to an expression pedal if you like on most decent MIDI FX units. If there's one knob on a stomp box you sometimes have to reach down to, assign it to a pedal.

In short brain/foot > sequencer/midi
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Its possible using MIDI sequencing, but like Cath said, it really isn't worth all the trouble. There would be a huge amount of programming to do, and programmed changes don't account for spur of the moment things that can happen on stage.