Hey guys,

My bass is tuned to DGCF (D standard) and the low D string (110 gauge) is floppy. Its volume is lower compared to the other strings, and it sounds like it's buzzing against the fretboard, but it doesn't actually happen. What can I do to fix the problem? I can provide a sound sample if you guys want.

Thanks.
Tuning a bass down - especially if it is a 34" or shorter scale - is likely to give you a floppy "E" string. Short of using a much heavier string, there isn't a lot you can do about it. You could try increasing the tension on the string by running it through a short length of metal pipe (slightly larger than the string so it still catches the ball end) and then run it through your top-loader bridge. This is said to work, but I can't vouch for it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
There's nothing that can be done to help that other than getting strings made for Dropped Tunings.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
A 110 string should be fine in D though. It might not be as tight as some people's tastes (*cough*cb4*cough*) but it shouldn't actually be a problem.

I have a bass tuned a half step down from that and the 110 is still perfectly fine.

How's the set-up apart from that?

I'm assuming it's a 34"?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90

I'm assuming it's a 34"?
Yes, the scale is 34". I did the whole setup myself when I changed the strings and I think it's pretty good, yet the string is still floppy. I will try a 115.
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Don't use stupid thrash tunings unless you own a bass made for generic metelcore music? Not that hard of a problem man.

Just shut up. I've never seen you do anything but troll and/or say stupid things.

Thrash tunings? Most thrash bands that I know of play in E anyway. Since when are thrash and metalcore the same thing?

And why would you buy a different bass for every specific genre? If I did that I'd need at least 10 and that's not counting sub-genres.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

troll harder
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by FatalGear41
Tuning a bass down - especially if it is a 34" or shorter scale - is likely to give you a floppy "E" string. Short of using a much heavier string, there isn't a lot you can do about it. You could try increasing the tension on the string by running it through a short length of metal pipe (slightly larger than the string so it still catches the ball end) and then run it through your top-loader bridge. This is said to work, but I can't vouch for it.

genius.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Don't use stupid thrash tunings unless you own a bass made for generic metelcore music? Not that hard of a problem man.

I want you to read what you wrote and try to form a coherent argument as to how this isn't being a douche.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by bass-boy-garith
No trolling here, fella. Just you getting way too upset over an opinion you saw on the internet. Seriously, calm down. There's a whole world outside of your computer screen, just waiting to be discovered.

Blatant trolling ≠ Opinion.

Quote by the_perdestrian
I want you to read what you wrote and try to form a coherent argument as to how this isn't being a douche.

Also this.

Also, for the record, they aren't my favourite genres of music. By a long shot.

And for the suggestion of getting a life? I'm not the one who spends time trolling a bass guitar forum.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by FatalGear41
You could try increasing the tension on the string by running it through a short length of metal pipe (slightly larger than the string so it still catches the ball end) and then run it through your top-loader bridge. This is said to work, but I can't vouch for it.
I don't see how. To get the same frequency out of the same length of the same string you're always going to need the same tension. The only way to change the tension is to use a string of different mass per unit length or use a different scale length.
Quote by gilly_90
A 110 string should be fine in D though. It might not be as tight as some people's tastes (*cough*cb4*cough*) but it shouldn't actually be a problem.

I have a bass tuned a half step down from that and the 110 is still perfectly fine.

I'm assuming it's a 34"?

Haha, first time I see this. If it ain't tight, it ain't right

Also, it's probably not the string, just the tension. If you could take it to a shop to get set up or adjust the action and tension yourself, it'll be okay.
pinga
Quote by bass-boy-garith

*reported*

You didn't need to bump the thread purely to be a jackass.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Get a good setup., along with a higher gauge of strings this will help a lot.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
^

basses aren't like guitars. I can use a Fender jazz for dropped F deathcore if I wanted to.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
^

basses aren't like guitars. I can use a Fender jazz for dropped F deathcore if I wanted to.

But you can use a Strat in dropped F if you wanted to as well.

So he's really wrong

...and trolling.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Well, I see someone trolled here. Anyway, I did the whole setup again myself (same strings) with a higher action and now it's slightly better... not perfect, but still better than before.
Quote by Cb4rabid
^

Was that at me man.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by gilly_90
But you can use a Strat in dropped F if you wanted to as well.

So he's really wrong

...and trolling.

Though the scale might be a bit loose for the F

Quote by fatgoogle
Was that at me man.

No, it was a bass boy gareth, he deleted his post. Sorry about that.
pinga