So Billy Hyde had a massive clearance sale today... At one of the other stores which I wasn't at.

But either way, I went to Billy Hyde on a mission. And I picked up one of these.

An Orange 4x12? I thought you already had one of those? Look again. There is a Shure SM57 in the image.

So what amp are you recording you ask?

This.

What is your pedal board of doom like to achieve such good tones?

That.

Review:

Well, it does what it is supposed to do. Be attached on a stand and record wonderful sounds. Although from what I've got out of it so far, I am very pleased with it. Like the box says, it is the industry standard of microphones and it is very clear why it deserves that place. 10/10 for what it does, although I'm not one to "rank" microphones since this is the first ever real one I've owned.

Any available clips to listen to your amazing setup? Yup, recorded myself covering Parkway Drive's Carrion. Was slightly rushed since I was keen on hearing what it would sound like. Needless to say, I didn't do any research on positioning or anything. What you see in the photos is what I used to record. So all my secret settings are out in the open.

Br00tz Carrion Cover.

Happy flighting.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Last edited by Mopy at May 28, 2011,
Sounds great! Wish I could cop tones like that on my Valveking.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Sounds great! Wish I could cop tones like that on my Valveking.

Thanks man, I wish that I could have had the post gain up a tad higher. Although for what it was I'm fairly pleased with it.

Have you modded/looked into modding your VK?
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Is the doorbuster still on tomorrow? I had no idea it was today...bastards stopped sending me catalogues.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
A little bit but I haven't done the circuit stuff yet, and I'm still reaching for a cab in the future. Right now I'm just going through a 1x12 so it sounds a little confined... and I need to get better with recording.

You made it sound huge (not that it doesn't already) on that cover there, and that's besides the up front placement in the mix.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
A little bit but I haven't done the circuit stuff yet, and I'm still reaching for a cab in the future. Right now I'm just going through a 1x12 so it sounds a little confined... and I need to get better with recording.

You made it sound huge (not that it doesn't already) on that cover there, and that's besides the up front placement in the mix.

Guess it's just my setup or something along those lines. I winged the mic placement, all I did was guesstimate where the center of the speaker was and then shove it infront of that.

Thanks once again tho man, good to see that I'm not making massive mistakes on my first day of using the damn thing.

Quote by shadow__666
Is the doorbuster still on tomorrow? I had no idea it was today...bastards stopped sending me catalogues.

Make sure you go the the right store, if you live in Sydney go to the one in Alexandria or the City. Or else you'll be feeling as stupid as I did asking for a further more 10% off because the slip they sent me said to do that for all VIP customers...
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Thanks dude. Guess I'll be heading to Alexandria then.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Thanks dude. Guess I'll be heading to Alexandria then.

No worries, I headed to the one at Tarren Point. Man was I pissed when he looked at me like I was an ass...
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy
No worries, I headed to the one at Tarren Point. Man was I pissed when he looked at me like I was an ass...

Taren Point is closest for me, but I'll make the trek.
Quote by Cathbard
Grats on buying an overpriced TS10.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
i bought a behringer OD at the doorbuster sale last year. it was my first pedal.. how things have changed.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by polishedbullet
I've never seen an angled Orange cab before, just the straight "B" style ones. Regardless, the recording sounds pretty good. How would you compare the Maxon to a stock Ibanez TS9?

It's the 'Andy Dunlop' Signature. It has exactly the same specs as the regular straight cabs. Needless to say, I don't play the same style of music as AD nor do I listen to any of his stuff.

Quote by bubb_tubbs

This isn't a NPD. I have had my Maxon for years, and considering the price of the Maxon over here up against the Ibanez TS pedals... I wouldn't call it "overpriced" the slightest.

Ignorance is bliss.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy
This isn't a NPD. I have had my Maxon for years, and considering the price of the Maxon over here up against the Ibanez TS pedals... I wouldn't call it "overpriced" the slightest.

Ignorance is bliss.

I know it's not an NPD, or I wouldn't have said anything about the crappily built pedal.

I have a policy about not raining on people's parades until after the honeymoon is over.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I know it's not an NPD, or I wouldn't have said anything about the crappily built pedal.

I have a policy about not raining on people's parades until after the honeymoon is over.

So you're implying the Maxon is crappily made?

I wouldn't have a clue about that, although I really do like the sounds I get from it so as long as it doesn't break down I wouldn't care the slightest.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Alright, just popped another painkiller and recorded Horizons. Please don't expect too much from this. Only did one take and didn't bother getting it all perfect. So don't eat me!

Horizons Cover
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Last edited by Mopy at May 29, 2011,
Quote by bubb_tubbs

Guess you wouldn't feel like yourself unless you pissed all over someones thread. He could own worse pedals.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Hey man can u explain the shure sm57 an how to use it, do i need battieries or a specific cable, do you hook it up to computer? Does it come with all the cables you need?
Sorry i'm late, but my walk has got terribly silly today
Quote by bubb_tubbs

TS9 $279
http://www.allansmusic.com.au/prod/TS9/Ibanez_TS9_Tubescreamer_Pedal.aspx

OD808 $165
http://d1058730.i105.quadrahosting.com.au/shop/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=28&products_id=104&Global-Vintage=v8hgj5sg6ltggtj2e19l0g65a2

This is Australia, normal rules do not apply.
Quote by stig354
Hey man can u explain the shure sm57 an how to use it, do i need battieries or a specific cable, do you hook it up to computer? Does it come with all the cables you need?

This isn't really the thread to be asking this kind of stuff. It seems as if you are not experienced with any kind of recording (didn't mean to sound mean, I'm just assuming from your post). Go and find some stuff on the internet about basic recording, there's loads of good info out there.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by joe_k

+1

Plus, I preferred the sound of my 808 to the TS9. So it was a win/win.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by bubb_tubbs

you mean there is a TS10 or clone that ISN'T overpriced?

TS - orange cabs make every rig sexy. even that ugly overpriced noisy slo clone head you have there.

i kid i kid. just going with the overpriced and troll theme..
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
you mean there is a TS10 or clone that ISN'T overpriced?

TS - orange cabs make every rig sexy. even that ugly overpriced noisy slo clone head you have there.

i kid i kid. just going with the overpriced and troll theme..

Don't you go speaking ill of my baby!
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3