Im going to record my acoustic guitar and im thinking of getting the M-Audio Fast Track MKII USB Audio Interface and the rode 3 condenser mic. Does it sound like a good choice? I also been watching the Tascam US-200 interface but what would be best? Also do you need a high end pc to use it and how do you time your video and audio recording?
Last edited by Walkyro at May 28, 2011,
Not familiar with the Rode microphone, but a condenser is a good choice for acoustic guitar. I occasionally record my acoustic guitars with either a Behringer B-1 or a Neuman TLM102.

The Tascam US-2000 is a decent interface and has more control/options than your standard interface. It's a decent cross between a basic interface and a full-blown mixer. I've been using one for over a year now, but am getting ready to buy a full mixer.

You don't need a high end PC to run it, but USB 2.0 is a MUST. It will not work with USB 1.0. I use a dedicated PC for my audio recording. As such, it is a bare bones installation of Vista and it's optimized for recording audio - no AV software and some other tweaks.

How do you time video and audio? I believe you can import video into Cubase 4. The Tascam interface comes with Cubase 4 or 5 LE. At the start of the recording, clap or make some other distinctive noise. During synch, look for the audio waveform and match them by grabbing and sliding one to match the other. That's how I do it.

Edit: Just discovered there actually is a US-200 interface. DOH! I thought you did a typo and forgot a zero. Well, if nobody gives you any good advice here, I'd check the reviews for both and go with the best one. The US-200 still requires a USB 2.0 interface. Since it's only 2 channels, it won't require a super fast computer.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at May 28, 2011,
i dont know much (or anything) about the tascam interface, but it looks ok. dont know how the preamps or anything are, but it does give you a bit more options for inputs than the fast track. however, i do know the fast track is a pretty solid piece of gear. either should be fine, but i personally would choose the fast track just because i know more about it. but if you do the research and see the tascam is getting good reviews, might be worth trying.

as for the mic, which rode are you talking about? i cant find any called just "3" but i see the nt3, ntg3 and m3. was it one of those, or something else?
you can also look at the audio technical at2020 for a solid mic around the $100 price range. not sure if that is your range, but it seems to be most peoples, so i figure its worth throwing out there.
Quote by jof1029
i dont know much (or anything) about the tascam interface, but it looks ok. dont know how the preamps or anything are, but it does give you a bit more options for inputs than the fast track. however, i do know the fast track is a pretty solid piece of gear. either should be fine, but i personally would choose the fast track just because i know more about it. but if you do the research and see the tascam is getting good reviews, might be worth trying.

as for the mic, which rode are you talking about? i cant find any called just "3" but i see the nt3, ntg3 and m3. was it one of those, or something else?
you can also look at the audio technical at2020 for a solid mic around the $100 price range. not sure if that is your range, but it seems to be most peoples, so i figure its worth throwing out there.

Rode m3
I have the Tascam, and it's a fantastic interface for the money, imo. I don't think you can find anything else with that number of inputs/outputs and controls for $300. I use Ableton with it, but the Cubase that it comes with is by no means bad. It just depends how much you plan on recording, really. If you think you'll need the extra inputs, then I would say go for it.

Also, I know when I export in Ableton that I have the option as exporting the song as a video, though I haven't really tried it.
Last edited by CrossBack7 at May 29, 2011,