So my project (only audio) is peaking a lot, so I need to lower the volume or gain or whatever by the same amount on all objects. By grouping all objects and decreasing gain, the volume is set to the same level on all objects (at least, that's how it seems); I want to preserve the proportions.

Thanks in advance!
Use a limiter/compressor on the Master Output in the mixer.

EDIT: Or use volume automation on the master output.
Last edited by DestructoX at May 28, 2011,
You only need to record quieter if the wave-forms are clipping. It doesn't sound like this is your problem.

Compression/limiting - Yeah, but that's only if you want to compress and limit. If you simply want to adjust the volume, this is not your route of choice.

Now, to address the question....

You want to adjust the volume on *all* of the tracks? That's what the master fader is for. Just turn it down.

But... if you want to adjust the volume, say, on all of the guitars and you have 6 tracks of guitars, then here is what you do:

Create a "group" (also called a "subgroup" - they're the same thing.... it's just referred to as a "group" for short)

Call that group "guitars" or whatever. Then assign all of your guitars to the guitar group. Then you can adjust the volume of that group with the group fader. Or you can add EQ to the whole group, or effects to the whole group or whatever you want.

Just curious... I thought I was one of the last people on the planet to upgrade to C5, and that was a year ago. Why are you still using Cubase 4?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I wouldn't advise ever touching the master fader because that's incorrect gain staging, always leave it at 0 for mixing and mastering purposes.
^ that seems kinda silly. i mean if you are never supposed to touch it, then why have it? grouping some of your tracks and sending them to a group master would essentially do the same thing, right? people do that all the time, using the master fader is just doing that on a larger scale. unless there is something different about the master fader i dont know about.

another way to move all the faders on the same time is to group the tracks. and im not talking about grouping them with a send where you get a master fader. im not sure how to do it on cubase, but i assume it can be, since i can do it on other programs. you just set one track as the master for volume, and the rest as slaves. then when you adjust the volume slider on the track set as master, it adjusts the volume on all the tracks set as slaves.
i can also do the same thing in reaper by simply holding control and selecting each track i want to change. then since i have them all selected at once, when i move the volume fader on one, they all move. only lasts until you click something else, and the selection ends, whereas the master/slave option lasts until you disable it.
Personally I group all my guitars together, all my drum sounds together, all my similar synths toghether ,etc. then I group all of those to an Instrumental Group. Then I group all my vocals to a Vocal Group.

That way I can adjust all the instrumental instruments against each other. Then I can adjust the whole instrumental or the whole vocals if either needs to go up or down.

I don't ever really touch the master slider. I just mixed everything up to the point where I want it.
Ok, thanks everyone. I realize now how blind I was >.< On a sidenote, I'm pretty new to Cubase, and this is my second project.

About me being on Cubase 4 - since Steinberg didn't provide any demo or anything, I committed a sin. This was mostly because I'm on a laptop right now so I didn't want to waste all that money. I'm getting a new computer soon so I'll be buying Cubase 6 in a month or so.
Quote by jof1029
^ that seems kinda silly.

Not silly at all, you're better off using something else for loudness, mostly to avoid digital distortion and all the anomalies it brings. But yeah, decreasing the master fader shouldn't be dangerous, but it's ALWAYS better to get things right at the source.
Last edited by Ascendant at May 29, 2011,