I'm making a cross from guitar to bass, and I was wondering if there was a difference between guitar picks and bass picks. anyone know
I like shotguns. thats all you need to know
I use thicker picks for bass (if I use picks for bass at all), though I like to use thick picks for guitar as well, but thicker picks work great with bass.

My advice to you is to try to play with your fingers, even if it's tiring, you'll get used to it and build stamina and strength. When I started playing bass it was tiring for me, but now a year later it's hardly any tiring at all.

But if you prefer playing with picks for a slighly different sound I'd say you should use thicker picks. Try to see which ones works out best for you.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Generally bassists use the big triangle ones. But anything goes really. I've even heard of some guys using Jazz IIIs.

Those are a good place to start.

These are the ones I use, both for bass and guitar, they're great!
When I do use picks on my bass (almost never) I use a random 2 mm pick I've had for quite a long time now :P You can play bass with any pick really, but thin picks give a way too pointy sound, which is why you're gonna need at least 1 mm when looking for a bass pick.
I hate picks but when I use them I use Clayton 1.9m triangle picks. Small picks move around too much with bass strings.
pinga
thanks guys

Quote by Low Man's Lyric
I use thicker picks for bass (if I use picks for bass at all), though I like to use thick picks for guitar as well, but thicker picks work great with bass.

My advice to you is to try to play with your fingers, even if it's tiring, you'll get used to it and build stamina and strength. When I started playing bass it was tiring for me, but now a year later it's hardly any tiring at all.

But if you prefer playing with picks for a slighly different sound I'd say you should use thicker picks. Try to see which ones works out best for you.

thanks for the advice I just find that a lot of my inspirations bass wise use picks.
I'm not a pick fan but I occasionally use one of those stubby 3mm ones.
Used Jazz IIIs for awhile, they work, but there isnt much on those things to hold onto, just switched over to 1mm Big Stubbys and have really enjoyed them, will probably be trying the 2mm soon though, see if i can get rid of that slight clack thinner picks give on bass. Experiment would be my best advice of course. Picks won't break the bank
again going to chime in and say learn to use your fingers, especially because you might not always have a plectrum on you
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Guitarists can manage...

What do you know? You're a guitarist
pinga
Quote by CrazyDavey
again going to chime in and say learn to use your fingers, especially because you might not always have a plectrum on you

pretty sure no one uses the word "plectrum" to describe a pick anymore.
A pick is a pick, it's all down to preference. Personally I use .73mm for both guitar and bass. I tend to use Tortex but I'm trying out Ultex at the moment.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>