I have an ols Traynor YBA-1. Nice sounding amp. Anyway I was wondering. It has an 8 ohm output and an extention cab output. I have 3 cabs. Two of which are 8 ohm cabs and 1 is a stereo 4-12 cab thats 16 ohms per side. Should I run the 2 seperate cabs and will that be 8 ohms or 4 ohms run together? Or do I run the stereo cab on both sides for a total of 8 ohms? Or does it stay 16 ohms? I guess my ? really is do the ohm's stay the same when i plug in 2 cabs or does it lower it? I hope you know what I mean...Thanks!
it depends how you plug them in. speakers are resistors.

in series you add all the ohms together

in parallel 1 / R = 1 / R1 + 1 / R2 + 1 / R3

if you do it right you can get an 8ohm final output but you will have to use all the cabs in a combination of series and parallel.
OK what im lookin for is if i plug one side of my stereo cab into the main output (16ohm) and the other side of my cab (16ohm) into the aux output will that be an 8ohm load? or 16? if its 8 ill use it, if its 16 ill have to run my 2 seperate 8 ohm cabs.
Quote by stankepanck
OK what im lookin for is if i plug one side of my stereo cab into the main output (16ohm) and the other side of my cab (16ohm) into the aux output will that be an 8ohm load? or 16? if its 8 ill use it, if its 16 ill have to run my 2 seperate 8 ohm cabs.

yes, the 'speaker outs' of your head are just outputs of the 'output transformer' (OT) of the amp. the OT has multiple outputs to facilitate different output loads (different impedance speakers). your amp has 2 outputs wired in parallel coming from the '8 ohm tap' on you OT. this means you can use the convenient parallel formula mentioned above to find out how your head is going to 'see' those cabs.

in particular, you are looking at:

1/Rtot = 1/16 + 1/16 = 2/16 = 1/8

1/Rtot = 1/8

take reciprocals

Rtot = 8 ohms

you're good.

edit: if you ran 8 ohms cabs then it wouldn't match up:

1/Rtot = 1/8 + 1/8 = 2/8 = 1/4

Rtot = 4

which would mismatch your OT and speakers.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at May 28, 2011,