Is it necessary to polish a guitar for maintenance? Or some kinds, but not others? Or--is it just for looks?

Is there any difference between using furniture polish or a specialized guitar polish?

If the latter, which brands are better?

Different kinds for different brands of wood, etc.?
I just go over mine with Pledge or something similar. All ya wanna do is remove fingerprints and any sweat or personally deposited acids/salts. Most modern finishes need and want no [abrasive] polishing. If you have scratches or dings, normal polishing won't cut it. Professional help may be required for that sort of thing.
Of course, this does not consider fretboard or electronics

HTH,
D-10
This is all you need.

You can pick up a bottle for about four bucks at any guitar store, and it'll last. Use a flannel or microfiber cloth and you'll be good. Don't use this on your fretboard though, unless it's finished maple.

DON'T use furniture polish on your guitar anywhere. If you want to clean your fretboard, there are a number of different products that people swear by, but this is what I use.

It's called Gerlitz Guitar Honey. A moderate application is all you need. I think I paid about six bucks for the bottle I have. If you go this route, you'll want to use a different cloth than the one you use for cleaning and polishing the rest of your guitar.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Last edited by Jazz Funeral at May 28, 2011,
I have the Dunlop 65 polish and the 65 Lemon oil. I think the Gibson polish I used to have was better. The Lemon Oil seems fine - and that is not for use on varnished maple fretboards.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
even if you dont polish a guitar but are nice to it, it could easily still last you a lifetime. i never clean my guitars. when i do clean them it makes them feel weird to play,
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Does it not matter--what kind of wood, laminate or solid top, satin or gloss finish? Do folks use the same polish on all their guitars?
Quote by Cathbard
I have the Dunlop 65 polish and the 65 Lemon oil. I think the Gibson polish I used to have was better. The Lemon Oil seems fine - and that is not for use on varnished maple fretboards.

Greg and I had the opposite experience of yours.

I thought the Gibby polish left gunk on the R8's finish, but the 65 stuff was excellent.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I also use that dunlop polish. I hate polishing my guitar but love how it feels/looks after its had a good polishing after a string change.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Dunlop stuff rules
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by maikii
Does it not matter--what kind of wood, laminate or solid top, satin or gloss finish? Do folks use the same polish on all their guitars?

Don't use polish on satin finishes. A damp (not wet, just damp) cloth is best for satin finishes. For anything with a gloss finish, regular guitar cleaner (NOT household products) are fine. I use the Gibson stuff, and it's alright. I want to try out Dunlop, as Dunlop has never let me down with anything else.

For ebony and rosewood fingerboards, guitar fretboard cleaner works (again, NOT any household/ furniture cleaners). Maple fretboards should also get the damp cloth treatment. I have the Dunlop fretboard cleaners, and I really like them. I also have Gibson cleaner, and I like it a little but more.

It's best not to clean bare wood with any chemical substances. That said, guitars shouldn't ever be bare wood to begin with. Any mass production guitar will have some kind of clear coat finish over it, even if it's thin.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Greg and I had the opposite experience of yours.

I thought the Gibby polish left gunk on the R8's finish, but the 65 stuff was excellent.

You have to use more elbow grease with the Gibson polish but if you do you get better results imo. A little goes a long way too, my last bottle lasted for years. The trick is to use it sparingly and expend a bit of physical effort.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I wax my guitar tops. It gives them a mirror finish plus a hard coating to protect the wood.