I've been really eager to learn guitar, and while I've been learning the basic online, I'm beginning formal lessons in a few weeks. I know its a little early to upgrade, but considering I have very little saved, I'm eying for a new piece around November; so I want to get a few ideas flowing in my brain

So I'm running the most basic rig right now. I have the Squier Strat to learn on, and I have a Marshall (Yes, MG) to get some noise out of. I wasn't real picky, because I know better gear doesn't make better talent, so I went to a cost-friendly rig just to get my foot in the door. I recently grabbed a Boss DS-1 to play around with.

Genres. I'm into a lot of indie punk/alternative/metal types of styles. I listen to bands such as Dinosaur Jr, Nirvana, Throwing Muses, Alice in Chains, and Juliana Hatfield here and there.

So I know better guitars don't sound good through poor amps, so I leaning on the new amp, but I just wanna learn from the pros first. I've looked at the Fender Mustang III amp, and my brother recommended a VOX AD50. But I want an amp that fits a punk rock type of style.

Thanks for the help, and dealing with my long, grammar error-filled post
The guitar is good.
Get a new amp - a Peavey Vypyr or, indeed, that Fender Mustang III will work quite nicely for punk rock.

We need a budget though.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
I would definitely upgrade the guitar personally. I think a better guitar encourages you too learn better than an upgraded amp.
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Quote by PsiGuy60
The guitar is good.
Get a new amp - a Peavey Vypyr or, indeed, that Fender Mustang III will work quite nicely for punk rock.

We need a budget though.

My budget isn't too high; anything over $500 I'd have to really fall in love with to spend that money. Fender Mustangs are around 300 give or take, so something like that. Something good enough that I can play loud, but nothing over-the-top.
I just got a Mustang III and I freaking love it. It's a great amp, and you'll be able to play just about anything on it. It will definitely improve your sound more than playing a better guitar throught that MG. So I'd say get that now, or if you decide on another good amp, that one, and then later upgrade to a better guitar.
I've also just looked at a Fender Frontman 212R, and a lot of people have said that they sound nice. They are the same price as the Mustang; any experience with these?

EDIT: This amp actually has the tones I want; I heard the drive kind of sucks, but I'd run a pedal through it anyway. I might check it out at GC next time I go. The clean is supposed to be fantastic.
Last edited by dkeenan at May 28, 2011,
Save your money and stop buying pedals and crappy amps. The only thing you really need right now is a guitar that will hold a good setup, a tuner and lessons from a good guitar teacher.
I agree with the post above.

As a learner, as long as you have a guitar in your hand, you're set. Over the years you can buy loads of cheap guitars and cheap amps, which at the end of the day, when you're a decent player, you wont want to use. All of the money you spend on those things, if saved, could have purchased something really good and of real high quality.

Save your money, become a better player, and then buy a freakin' awesome guitar a year or so down the line ;P
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR
LTD EC1000 FR
LTD H1007 FR

Bass
ESP Surveyor

Line 6 Pod HD500

Wanted: ESP XJ-6, ESP Classic 400 Strat/Tele or ESP Traditional Series Strat/Tele

Dig Symphonic Metal or Visual Kei < Click.
I'd agree with the saving money part at this point.
A Fender Frontman is just as bad as an MG in my opinion - it's just the opposite of the MG. Decent clean sound, TERRIBLE distortion. Last one I tried didn't get a good tone with pedals either.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
A better guitar will encourage you to learn, but a better amp will improve your sound.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Well as the saying goes; buy cheap, buy twice. Buy quality; buy once.

My only point is that a new guitar would sound better in a decent amp then a basic MG10. I really don't have a problem with my Squier; I'd like better, but better doesn't matter at this point. Thats why I'm in the process of saving, because it would be stupid buying a second cheap amp or guitar. (Thats what this post is for!) I just want to do all of my homework so by the time I have this money, I'll be set on what I want.
Last edited by dkeenan at May 28, 2011,
In a way I agree with most of what's already been said. Sure a better amp will improve your tone but as you're learning, you don't want to spend too much because as your ear develops your tastes will change anyway. Having a new guitar is also a decent idea as a quality instrument encourages you to learn. So, what would I do if it were me?

Sell your MG because it's awful and sell your pedal because you don't need it. Go onto Ebay and buy a used Roland Cube 30X. The Peavey Vypyr and even the Mustang III may be a bit better but not by much and the beauty of the Cube is that there will be loads on Ebay in excellent condition and going for peanuts. In this country you can easily get a mint condition Cube 30X for less than £100 and it will do everything you need at your stage and be good enough to last for a while as you improve. I imagine most of the cost of it would be covered by the sale of your amp and pedal. I'd then save for a decent guitar that isn't a ludicrous price like a Michael Kelly Patriot Custom or Washburn X50 Pro.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Electric guitar is a package deal. Amp+guitar+operator=electric guitar tone. If you are just starting out you are going to sound like crap.Period. I have yet to see a single beginner that can make the best rig made by man and sound like anything other then a steaming pile of shit. That goes for everyone we all start from scratch. There really is nothing wrong with your guitar or amp as your skill level.A good player can make ANY guitar and amp rock.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I guess it depends on the model Squire you have. They range from starter pack/beginner crap to useable level insturments.
Without actually seeing it & feeling it, it's pretty hard for a more experienced player to assess whether it's OK or not. Do you know someone who has played for longer that can (without bias) assess whether your guitar is worthy of using for now? Perhaps your propestive teacher might give it a go over for you?
Then if deemed not up to snuff, spend the money on something that'll do you for the first couple of years.
Moving on.....
its really what u think u need. if the guitar feels good, then the amp is worth the upgrade. but, the quality of the guitar can hold you back in the learning process.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I'm just saving up for the fall; I have no intention for buying anything this summer. I'm more than happy with my basic rig, and I know I'm trying to get ahead of myself.

However a lot of people are suggesting the guitar, which seems like a wiser choice because I don't think I have to worry about my amp quality for a while. I'm just afraid if I buy a new guitar, my taste may alter enough where it doesn't suit me; atleast with the amps I'm looking at their highpoint is clean tones, which would make a guitar sound that much different than the next.

As for selling the MG and the Stomper, I'd get peanuts for that. Combined, the amp and the pedal retail new at about $130; used would probably be less than half. I just got the pedal to use when I'm screwing around. I really love the thing to death, mainly because it is my first and the effect seems like day/night.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
personally i would just wait it out....the gear you have is great for a beginner, but if your serious save up and get something awesome, if you don't get a really good guitar/amp then you will just end up buying another one in a few years
Stage Rig:

Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 Soapbar

MXR SuperComp
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 (Keeley Electronics mod)
DanElectro FabTone
Line 6 DL4

'78 Fender Twin Reverb
an amp and some pedals would do you good. people can make squiers sound like PRSes with good pedals.
Wait..
You have a Marshall.
And you havent began lessons yet.
Wait a 6 months or so, a year, then get a new guitar.
There's no point if you cant even play properly yet.
Your amp's epic.
METAL!
Thanks for all the help. In about 3 weeks, I'm getting my first (formal) lesson, and they are also going to check out my instrument. I don't have any tuning problems besides the occasional de-tune of the high e-string.

I've certainly heard bad about the MGs, so I'll stay away from the 212 [But I did hear running a Distortion pedal through it is still fine].
Quote by Ultraussie
Wait..
You have a Marshall.
And you havent began lessons yet.
Wait a 6 months or so, a year, then get a new guitar.
There's no point if you cant even play properly yet.
Your amp's epic.

No it isn't. Nothing except it's ability to suck is epic about an MG
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
someone should honestly make an marshal mg sticky
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
someone should honestly make an marshal mg sticky

You mean like a pubic service announcement on how much they suck?
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by BobDetroit
Save your money and stop buying pedals and crappy amps. The only thing you really need right now is a guitar that will hold a good setup, a tuner and lessons from a good guitar teacher.

+1. Serious dude, a good feeling well setup guitar is what you need when you start playing. You don't have an ear for tone yet anyway most likely and a good guitar will keep you interested in playing.
Quote by DamagingExcess
You mean like a pubic service announcement on how much they suck?

now from being on these forums for a while, ive learned nothing sucks, but everything is preference. just a sticky saying that an MG is not an upgrade from anything and people need to stop buying MG halfstacks.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED