I enjoyed a day in Brighton today, and Ben (my very good friend) and I went to GAK, a very well known guitar store.

Firstly, Ben took me up to the accoustic section, where I cried and ran downstairs. I asked if I could play an Ibanez Prestige 2550z, and the Aussie man plugged me into a JVM. I can't help but mention I was a little disappointed with the JVM considering Dave Mustaine uses one, it's not nearly metal enough considering I had gain on full. The Ibanez was a beauty though, played wonderfully.

Then I played an Epiphone "Masterbilt" model. Yes, it was reduced by £100 or so because of the misprint on the truss rod cover. It was nice, but I'm not an accoustic fan.

Anyway, after enjoying a subway, trolling in HMV, inhaling what was probably weed in a shop with a smoke machine effect and nearly purchasig a jazz album (despite wearing a Slayer t-shirt), we went back. I asked a man who was either high or had some mental disorder if I could play a DBZ Bolero. He plugged me into an Engl Fireball, we had a brief discussion about the amp as he tuned it. He wasn't sure if it had a built in noise gate.

I played. I didn't just play it, I enjoyed it. It felt like the guitar was trying to make me play. It was so fun and was a dream to bend on. Neck felt perfect. The Fireball was just as good. Noiseless. At one point I put my ear up to the cab to check if it was actually making any hum. I held the guitar up to the amp and was wondering where the feedback was though... Every single EQing I gave it for my metal tone, I liked. Mid scooped, mid boost, bright, everything. Tight, tight tone.
In my hands was my favourite guitar plugged into my favourite tube amp (I prefer the tone from my 8200, but the Fireball was probably better...).

Anyway, the point of this thread is this: does anybody else like DBZs?
And also: what is their durability like?
Last edited by Banana Wedgie at May 28, 2011,
I played a couple DBZ in my local shop and I ****ing love them. I was gettin some crazy harmonics on the stock pups and amazing cleans. Im def getting a cavallo ST FR lambo yeallow with floyd as my next guitar. My friend who is an avid schecter fan almost sold his right after he tried out a Bolero but i told him not to and just save up so he can hav the Bolero and a schecter as a backup.

idk bout their durability tho.
Last edited by ampoverload at May 28, 2011,
Quote by ampoverload
I played a couple DBZ in my local shop and I ****ing love them. I was gettin some crazy harmonics on the stock pups and amazing cleans. Im def getting a cavallo ST FR lambo yeallow with floyd as my next guitar. My friend who is an avid schecter fan almost sold his right after he tried out a Bolero but i told him not to and just save up so he can hav the Bolero and a schecter as a backup.

idk bout their durability tho.

I tried to make the point in the whole thread comment that it seriously outplayed an Ibanez Prestige :P

I seriously need to get that guitar...
Quote by Banana Wedgie
I tried to make the point in the whole thread comment that it seriously outplayed an Ibanez Prestige :P

I seriously need to get that guitar...

def. like you said too they feel amazing when you play. The is just perfect. On the Bolero the contour of the body is perfect for comfortable playing. i was surprised how the cavallo felt too. My dean V can be uncomfortable on the picking arm to play sometimes but the cavallo felt amazing. and it had an actual Floyd Rose not a licensed floyd which made me def get that when i hav enuff money and after i get a new amp.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Screw that, I'm getting it before I get a new amp.

Do you know where they're made?

I believe they're made in Korea unless u get the more expensive USA models which r built in the USA.

Yeah i only have a 15 watt amp and 2 suitable guitars to play so Im savin up to get a halfstack
Quote by Banana Wedgie
:P What amp are you going with?

i dont have a huge budget but ive heard great reviews for the Ibanez tbx150h head and then I will probably get a b52 ls412 cab for it. All that is around 500 and then i will have to get the footswitch separately which is 50. so it will be $550
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Screw that, I'm getting it before I get a new amp.

Do you know where they're made?

I don't know but this place might know
http://www.dbzguitars.com/

Sadly, no music shops around me carry them but the Barchetta and Cavallo have both caught my fancy.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Quote by Bottle of Dirt
I don't know but this place might know
http://www.dbzguitars.com/

Sadly, no music shops around me carry them but the Barchetta and Cavallo have both caught my fancy.

Same here. I wanted to try out a Halcyon, but I'm glad they came down in price. The Cavallo is a bit thicker than the venom, which is actually what caught my attention about them, and it looks like fuller body.

I love the shape of both of those. (Cavallo + Barchetta)
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Anyway, after enjoying a subway, trolling in HMV, inhaling what was probably weed in a shop with a smoke machine effect and nearly purchasig a jazz album (despite wearing a Slayer t-shirt), we went back. I asked a man who was either high or had some mental disorder if I could play a DBZ Bolero. He plugged me into an Engl Fireball, we had a brief discussion about the amp as he tuned it. He wasn't sure if it had a built in noise gate.

ur so lucky, no one ever tunes the guitars at my guitar store
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Dean Zelinsky is supposed to be a hotshot guitar maker- his early axes and the mid/high-end ones made during his return to Dean Guitars are well-regarded, at least from what I read (I own a Time Capsule Cadillac).

And DBZ is supposed to be his return to doing things "his way.". Looking at them, I can believe it.

Personally, I'm jonesing for one of his Imperials- doublecut, beautiful finishes & thin as an iPhone. What's not to love?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I played a DBZ Venom last week. Loved it. The neck profile was really interesting... I'd love to get a DBZ guitar. They're quite amazing!
I'm very interested in a Bolero myself, either the Calavera or AB Plus. Really a shame that Guitar Center doesn't carry them, otherwise I'd probably get one for the memorial day sale.

Thing is, I've also seen quite a few online that have factory blemishes, which concerns me a little when I contemplate buying one. Also, for the price range around $800 I'd hope for some locking tuners and high quality pickups (I'm not familiar at all with DBZ pickups).

Beautiful guitars though, I absolutely love the metal logo on the headstock.
I think the more extreme shapes are a bit absurd but I could definitely catch myself playing a bolero or a mondial. Definitely a blue mondial. If the designs are all his there's no question where some of the dean designs came from.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
I've played one of those DBZ Barcheta and boy was I impressed. Great action, the neck felt like butter, great upper fret access my only complaint would be the stock pickups werent that great.

oh and DBZ > Dean Guitars
I leik music
I've tried a Barchetta Eminent FR, a Cavallo ST, A Pird of Prey, and a Venom and my favorite thing about DBZs thus far is that they're consistently awesome. The necks are smooth as silk, and they're just the right thickness (for me, at least). The bodys are a good weight; not too heavy, not too light. And the tone is ****ing sweeeeet. Very metal.
Quote by col50
I've played one of those DBZ Barcheta and boy was I impressed. Great action, the neck felt like butter, great upper fret access my only complaint would be the stock pickups werent that great.

oh and DBZ > Dean Guitars

Yep. The same day i tried the DBZ i also tried a Dean ML Dime Slime or whatever its called and it felt so cheap compared to the DBZ which were a couple hundred cheaper than the Slime
Anyone know where DBZ guitars are made?
THIS IS FOR COWS!
Quote by Amakir
Anyone know where DBZ guitars are made?

Most are made in Korea.
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
I am gutted that I didn't wait a little longer before I got my Godin LGHB. As much as I love it it I tried out a dbx bolero when I got my blackstar and wow what a guitar. Loved the neck I didn't even mind the fact that it was glossy , I much prefer satin necks.
Love the imperial as well but it's big.