Hey all there are a lot of various ways to paint a guitar,whether to change colour or repair chips or scratches I find this is the most effective method of preparation and application.

Determine the reason of painting i.e change colour or repair.

Once guitar is fully stripped of all components and body is a shell sand any chips or scratches using a 400 grade sand paper(I use this on an orbital sander).Any deep chips or marks should be filled using a suitable filler like a body filler or a wood filler.I prefer a car body filler as it is easier to work with and easy sandable.Once filler is dried smooth to shape with a 180 grade paper then over with a 400.
Next key the rest of the body so no shine remains (this ensures the paint will grip to the body). I generally use a 600 wet and dry or a 1500 disc in a sander.
Once keyed primer should be applied to repaired area or coated all over if u can still feel saome sanding marks.I use a 2k high build primer/filler mixed 4-1 with an activator." coats should be plenty and once dried flat with a 600 grade wet.
A smooth finish should now be there.
next the paint. I use a water based product made by max meyer called aquamax.3 or for coats drying each coat thouroughly using air(ie hair dryer ,I have a spray booth with an oven.
Once covered I apply 2-3 coats of ultra high solid clearcoat which achieves a uultra high gloss finish.
If any bits of dust or imperfections can be seen in the clearcoat I use a 2000 grade paper (wet) to nib out the pieces and then polish back to a shine using a buffing machine and compund before using a polishing mop on buffer with a finishing compound.

Any questions contact me
I never thought of using something like bondo on a chipped guitar, I'll have to remember that one. Thanks for the clear directions, I plan on getting a project guitar soon and giving it a cool paintjob. You hit some steps that I definitely would have missed!
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
How about this one.

I have a guitar with a good sized chip. No bigger than a lighter and not too deep.

Anyway the rest of the guitar is great. Anyway to fix the chip and repaint that area with leaving the rest of the guitar alone?

If so price? Im interested
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
The answer is no though.Heres why...
You could repair the chip and keep the repair as small as possiblle but when the primer and basecoat is applied obviously the area will get bigger and my method of clearcoating a guitar would not blend into the rest of it and would highlight the area in question.
I have also in the past tried masking out the repair and just painting the affected area but it never works.
I have a car bodyshop and if a car has a scratch on a door for example I would repair it,colour the area and then clearcoat the full door to blend in.
Quote by lennybi02
The answer is no though.Heres why...
You could repair the chip and keep the repair as small as possiblle but when the primer and basecoat is applied obviously the area will get bigger and my method of clearcoating a guitar would not blend into the rest of it and would highlight the area in question.
I have also in the past tried masking out the repair and just painting the affected area but it never works.
I have a car bodyshop and if a car has a scratch on a door for example I would repair it,colour the area and then clearcoat the full door to blend in.

Ok but the subject guitar is Sunburst...So im confused. What about the rest of the guitar? Can you paint exact sunburst patterns? Or is this technique for 1 solid color only?
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Last edited by maddnotez at May 28, 2011,
sorry m8 we have our wires crossed.
Colour would be apllied to area of repair then once repair is covered all the body would be clearcoated
Can you also tell Techniques on Painting a Bridge & Tailpiece thanks .... i wanted to mine black so yah is this OT hehehehe