Has anybody ever heard of this website?

It's basically a website where you can gather funding for creative or technological projects from random people by promising them something in return depending on the amount they're donating.

The catch: You need to state an amount you need, and if you can't raise the money in a certain amount of time, the project is booked as "failed" and no money is taken. (also, you can only submit a project if you have a US address and bank account)

linky

Apparently, tons of projects have gotten large sums of money from benefactors anyways, sometimes upwards of 5 times as much as was initially needed.

Has anybody ever tried financing a project over this, or do you know of anyone who has done so? Have you ever helped bring a project to life?

Notable projects that got financed include the Minecraft Documentary (received over 200.000 dollars) and the game "There's No Time to Explain" (I think somewhere around 6k)
That's really great! It kind of reminds me of the microloan system that's used in some developing countries.
Honk
Quote by throwshapes
There is a movie being produced about the famous philosopher Alan Watts that was funded completely through kickstarter. It raised a SHITLOAD of money. 57k so far. http://www.facebook.com/alanwattsfilm

and sadly, I just found out that Ryan Sohmer is also trying to raise 75k to make an animated episode of Least I could Do.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/537261515/least-i-could-do-the-pilot?ref=discover_pop

Reached 25k in less than two days. Holy hell.

Quote by Mukersman
That's really great! It kind of reminds me of the microloan system that's used in some developing countries.

Wasn't there a simpsons episode on that?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at May 28, 2011,
I would've funded something if I had a bit of extra...DAMNIT!
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by Grimriffer
I would've funded something if I had a bit of extra...DAMNIT!
It's pretty good, there have been some albums funded by it i think on a pay now get later basis
I think it's cool. There's a lot of bands that fund recordings through this. It's kind of a way of buying an album upfront (assuming the band is cool and gives you it when it's finished).
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
I think it's cool. There's a lot of bands that fund recordings through this. It's kind of a way of buying an album upfront (assuming the band is cool and gives you it when it's finished).

I'm pretty sure that everything the people offer as incentives are binding, in the sense that if you DON'T give the people who donated what you promised them they revoke whatever that person donated or at least block you from ever posting a project again.
Quote by CrossBack7
This is cool. I kinda want to come up with a project for it.

Why not? Do it and post it, we can get a kind of collection of projects going that people can donate to if they like it!

I'd greatly approve of having a collection of UG projects that we could promote.

Hell, if we get the UG office involved, they could also submit projects that we could fund that could help build up UG. I think this is a great concept, not only for the users but for this website itself.
Quote by CoreysMonster
huh? what's to facepalm about that?
He was referencing his stupid thread.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why not? Do it and post it, we can get a kind of collection of projects going that people can donate to if they like it!

I'd greatly approve of having a collection of UG projects that we could promote.

Hell, if we get the UG office involved, they could also submit projects that we could fund that could help build up UG. I think this is a great concept, not only for the users but for this website itself.

Missile bunker?
I just need an idea. I'm attempting to more or less build a portable recording studio so that I can record various groups, etc. I'd only need a few hundred more dollars to pick up some mics. I guess I could offer free mixing/master of a track for anyone who donates, and free recording and such for anyone near me who donates.

I'm under the impression that would be breaking the rules though, as I WOULD plan to make some money off of it eventually, but I do want to be a cheaper solution to recording for artists in the Louisville/NKY area.

I'll start an idea if anyone can come up with a good one.
Quote by CrossBack7
I just need an idea. I'm attempting to more or less build a portable recording studio so that I can record various groups, etc. I'd only need a few hundred more dollars to pick up some mics. I guess I could offer free mixing/master of a track for anyone who donates, and free recording and such for anyone near me who donates.

I'm under the impression that would be breaking the rules though, as I WOULD plan to make some money off of it eventually, but I do want to be a cheaper solution to recording for artists in the Louisville/NKY area.

I'll start an idea if anyone can come up with a good one.

The way I understand Kickstarter is that it doesn't matter if you end up making money off of your project, but that the project can not be the base of a business. If you are looking to buy mics for a portable studio, you are looking to finance your business, instead of a single project.
Quote by CoreysMonster
The way I understand Kickstarter is that it doesn't matter if you end up making money off of your project, but that the project can not be the base of a business. If you are looking to buy mics for a portable studio, you are looking to finance your business, instead of a single project.

Yep, that's more or less how I saw it too.

But this would be cool if the Pit really got a good idea going.