So, I'm thinking of getting a Condenser Mic and a mixer as well as probably a phantom power supply.

At the moment I was thinking of getting the Audio Technica AT2020 or a MXL990, and also either a Behringer Xenex 802, or a Lexicon Lambda [only really cause it has phantom power], and then a Nady Phantom Power supply if needed.

However, I am open to suggestions as to other mics to possibly get. Bear in mind though, I'm kind of on a budget, so keep it in the same price range total [around 200 bucks, maybe a bit more]
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Last edited by Burning_Angel at May 28, 2011,
Honestly I dont care much [mainly cause I dunno what the difference is]. I guess a large diaphragm, but I just want both acoustic guitars and vocals to sound at least pretty good when recorded through it, if that helps.

EDIT: Thanks to amazon, an MXL770 also seems to be an option suddenly.
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
I'd get the AT2020 before anything MXL. MXL is hit or miss when it comes to product quality. Go with an AT2020 and the M-Audio Fast Track MKII and you're set
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
acoustic guitar and vocals - large diaphragm definitely. and a phantom power supply thingie wont be needed if you buy a soundcard or mixer with it built in, which it should be.
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
In my opinion MXL is shit, you're better off dual micing with some 57's then using that MXL crap. Your best bet is to check your local craigslist for used mics, or consider some of these:

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/blue-bluebird-large-diaphragm-cardioid-condenser-microphone/279013007000001#used - Decent all around mic, best for Vox

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/sterling-audio-st33-small-diaphragm-class-a-fet-condenser-microphone - Sterling Audio I have heard are good quality for price, this mic is best for micing a cab or summat

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/sterling-audio-st55-large-diaphragm-fet-condenser-microphone/271356000000000 - Probably better suited towards acoustic instruments (including voice)

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/akg-c-1000-s-condenser-microphone/271131000000000 - This one's decent for vocals, but I'd use it to mic a cab or use a pair of them as drum overheads
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
Last edited by MoonBoots432 at May 28, 2011,
I dunno, judging from the recordings I've heard of both from friends, I'm highly tempted to go for the MXL770 [especially cause it's like 100 bucks off the price], because I like the sound of the MXL recordings I've heard better...
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
Akg perception 220. Best mic I have! And I have some higher dollar mics. Wayyygbetter than the at 2020.
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
Quote by Burning_Angel
I dunno, judging from the recordings I've heard of both from friends, I'm highly tempted to go for the MXL770 [especially cause it's like 100 bucks off the price], because I like the sound of the MXL recordings I've heard better...

Purely circumstantial. If you take your recording any farther by buying more gear you'll recognize that cheaper is usually not better, and you'll eventually come to never use the MXL again.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
As in, it's usually 170. It's cut to 70 for some reason amazon for a deal or some shit. It's the most expensive mic I'm looking at anyway, and for the most part, aside from here [and even from the friends I know], MXL gets pretty good reviews...

Any reason you think they suck so much?
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"

Because they do. Look I have a degree in Recording Engineering. I'm not saying that makes my opinion better, but what I am saying is that I am more sure of my opinion. MXL mics are cheap because they are CHEAP. They lack versatility and any kind of tonal character. If you wanna record some sweet songs to give to your f'in mother who has no idea what sounds good and what doesn't, get the MXL. If you plan on actually doing some RECORDING, get a mic you'll use forever (The Bluebird or the C1000), that has tonal characteristics, and has years of industry knowledge behind it, not some "good reviews" on f'in Amazon or Musiciansfriend, written by some guy who has no idea what the hell he's talking about.

Or for that matter written by the very people that make the MXL mics. Most reviews on those sites are biased or not worth a 10 lb bag of crap.
Look, honestly? You're just kind of being a dick about it. I'm by no means a pro, nor do I want PRO quality. Hell, ****ing look at my favorite bands. Some of my favorite recordings ever are... well, pretty much anything recorded by Burzum. Darkthrone. Scald. Etc. Not exactly great quality recordings. I dont really give a **** about any of what you said, all that matters to me is that it sounds good to me. Which my buddies MXL does. So.

If I was getting a degree in Recording Engineering I might have a different opinion, but for me, I dont need great quality. I dont need a mic that's just this amazing quality thing, basically what I'm recording to any engineer will probably sound like a shitty demo cause that's exactly what it is/will be. If I ever had/have a band or want to really record professionally, I'll just save up and go to a studio who can do it vastly better than I can. But for now? I think I can settle, thanks.

EDIT: You know what? I'm just gonna say it straight and clear: I'm on a budget. So, I'm not going to spend over 100 bucks on a mic, I'm just not. I'm also thinking the same way about mixers and what have you.
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
You basically changed your entire tune since your OP says $200 or maybe a bit more.

Good ahead and get an MXL mic man, but it seems more like you made up your mind before you even started the thread.
However, I am open to suggestions as to other mics to possibly get. Bear in mind though, I'm kind of on a budget, so keep it in the same price range total [around 200 bucks, maybe a bit more]

Total being a key word there. Total meaning, 200 or a bit more combined. As in, when I add the price of the mixer/phantom power/mic, I can live with 200 bucks or so.

For just a mic though? No.

And no, I was hoping someone might sway me one way or the other. Or, that someone might have suggestions of a similar price from another company/mic or whatever. Or, alternatively, suggestions about mixers and such of a similar cheap price.
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
Alright children, let me clear something up. MXL is hit and miss on the quality. As in, some mics make it out of the factory and into your hands and they sound good, others come out and sound like absolute shit. I've A/B'd my and my buddies MXL 990 and they are completely different sounding monsters. Yes, same mic, same room, same cables, same interface, ect. They didn't even sound remotely close to the same. In fact, the one I got was so bad, I actually ended up throwing it away and using a SM58 on my vocals. Its pretty bad when 2 identical products sound completely different.

With other mics like the AT2020 or the AKG Perception, theres better quality control. Its not as good as a $1500 Neumann but its better than a $170 MXL which could sound like shit out of the box. If you're willing to spend some extra cash, get the Rode NT1-A. Its about $100 more (though you can find them used for $150) and its comparable to a $600 mic.

Look I have a degree in Recording Engineering. I'm not saying that makes my opinion better, but what I am saying is that I am more sure of my opinion.

No, thats exactly what you're saying. Thats like trying to say that 2+2=5 in Base 10 and I'm right because I have a Doctorate in Mathematics and you're in college
As far as MXL goes, I've only had experience with the 990/991. I personally hated it and was very happy that I was only borrowing it and didn't own it. I'm sure that MXL's more expensive mics will be a lot better than those. How much better, I can't say, but if you can get that one for $70 I'm sure it will be worth it for a first mic. Even if it's not better than a $100 mic, you didn't pay $100 for it so chances are you'll at LEAST get your moneys worth.

I would put money on assuming all the MXL hatred that this thread has seen is based off of their cheapest mics or from hearing other people bash them...

I cant complain too much about MXL hatred though, because I have a severe hatred for Behringer. Personally, I think I can back it up since I've used an awful lot of Behringer gear in the past. My problem with it is that every piece of Behringer gear I've used has either died WAY too soon, sounded awful, or a depressing combination of both. I have yet to find a Behringer product that I didn't immediately want replaced. Needless to say, I recommend getting the Lexicon if you're trying to decide between that and a Behringer.

EDIT:
Quote by lockwolf

No, thats exactly what you're saying. Thats like trying to say that 2+2=5 in Base 10 and I'm right because I have a Doctorate in Mathematics and you're in college

Thank you for saying that. I couldn't think of a way to put it nicely so I kept my mouth shut, but someone needed to do it.
Last edited by sandyman323 at May 28, 2011,
THANK YOU for a reasonable honest couple of posts.
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"

No. It is not like that at all. Mic choice is totally subjective, mathematics are not. All I was trying to illustrate by saying I have a degree is that I might have a bit more experience than some other posters. I am not going to say that what I say goes because that is silly. If a mic sounds good to you who would I be to say you are wrong? No one, and I am not doing that.

I'm not here to get in a pissing match. My final advice to the OP is to save some more money to buy an overall nicer mic, because I think you will be more pleased overall. I wish I had saved the money I spent on my first mics for the same reason.
Quote by lockwolf
I'd get the AT2020 before anything MXL. MXL is hit or miss when it comes to product quality. Go with an AT2020 and the M-Audio Fast Track MKII and you're set

My setup exactly
Quote by MoonBoots432
No. It is not like that at all. Mic choice is totally subjective, mathematics are not. All I was trying to illustrate by saying I have a degree is that I might have a bit more experience than some other posters. I am not going to say that what I say goes because that is silly. If a mic sounds good to you who would I be to say you are wrong? No one, and I am not doing that.

I'm not here to get in a pissing match. My final advice to the OP is to save some more money to buy an overall nicer mic, because I think you will be more pleased overall. I wish I had saved the money I spent on my first mics for the same reason.

Well thank you for the suggestions in any case. I may yet do that, it really depends upon what else I want to do with my setup and stuff, and what else I have to save and pay for that is more important life related stuff. I can always resell stuff on craigslist and such anyway.

Anyway guys, thanks, I have some more thinking to do obviously.

And sandyman and everyone else, what else would you suggest as far as mixers/interfaces then, as opposed to either the Behringer/Lexicon/M-Audio gear, that's in a similar price range?
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
M-Audio Fast Track MKII
Presonus Audiobox
Focusrite Saffire 6 (if you got the cash)
Damn. There's a Saffire 6 up on Amazon for 166 instead of 250 or whatever. Seems like a steal... As long as it can run on Windows 7, would that be a deal I shouldn't pass up? Cause I feel the same way about the deal on the MXL770, provided I get lucky enough to get one where it doesnt suck out of the box...

EDIT: And i see it has phantom power... [Saffire 6 that is]
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
If you're looking at mxl 990/900 set. I picked up 2 of the sets for $35 so if your tight on budget that might work. I recorded a whole demo just with them mics. I'll give you a link in a minute. Link to demo
Last edited by Kyleisthename at May 29, 2011,