I've decided that I want an OD pedal that can get a good Marshall sound, and I was recommended the Jekyll and Hyde, which I can get for $80, (used, of course). Does anyone have any other recommendations? I'll be buying from GC as I have a gift card.
(usually I avoid the place; the staff annoys the hell out of me)

As for the sounds I want, pretty much the tone in the intro bit before the fuzz kicks in;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcm_QvrKlGU&feature=related
it looks like he's using some Marshall stack.
the bit before the fuzz appeared to be the audience cheering...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the bit before the fuzz appeared to be the audience cheering...

What? He plays the intro riff twice, then hits the power chords, which (to me) sounds like he has fuzz on for. Unless I'm totally mistaken.
the first guitar noise i heard sounded like fuzz...

maybe i should've listened a bit longer...

hang on...

EDIT: yeah... i could be wrong, but even the first bit sounded like fuzz to me as well. maybe he kicked on another boost pedal or something for the slightly louder/heavier bit after the first couple of run-throughs of the riff?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 28, 2011,
it might be

it definitely has that slightly fuzzy thing going on (i don't really know the black keys but i think they have a bit of a rep for using fuzz a fair bit?)... i wouldn't want to say for sure it is fuzz, but it might be, kind of thing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Now that I think about it, they actually record with small amps that are cranked up most of the way, resulting in a rather 'fuzzy' overdrive.

ANYways, I want a pedal that gets me that sound. I already have a Big Muff Pi for heavier parts, but I need something a little less... destructive, that can be used for rhythm sections. The Big Muff doesn't clean up particularly well with the volume rolled off.

EDIT: Yeah, the Black Keys are known for fuzz. Trying to play a Black Keys song without fuzz is like banjo music - It's just wrong.
Last edited by Frank_Black at May 28, 2011,
Check out the EHX Germanium 4 for getting that tone. The J&H is a good deal at $80. Great pedal. I like both sides.
Quote by Frank_Black
Now that I think about it, they actually record with small amps that are cranked up most of the way, resulting in a rather 'fuzzy' overdrive.

ANYways, I want a pedal that gets me that sound. I already have a Big Muff Pi for heavier parts, but I need something a little less... destructive, that can be used for rhythm sections. The Big Muff doesn't clean up particularly well with the volume rolled off.

EDIT: Yeah, the Black Keys are known for fuzz. Trying to play a Black Keys song without fuzz is like banjo music - It's just wrong.

yeah that can sometimes happen (smaller amps).

maybe look into some of the less full-on fuzzes? fuzz face clone? tonebender clone? Not too well up on fuzzes, so don't take my word for it...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?