So I've just started playing in a band with a few of my friends, just as a fun thing over the summer. I'm doing the vocals and rhythm guitar parts. I've never really been in a band or anything like it before, so this is all pretty new to me.

I'm a decent singer, but the problem I'm running into is not being able to hear myself. On quieter parts of songs I can hear myself somewhat, but during loud parts when everyone is playing, I can't hear myself at all. So I really can't gauge how well I'm doing at certain times.

Any ideas to help fix this problem? We run everything through some kind of mixer(It's my friends, don't really know much about it) and then the sound comes out of a couple of PA speakers too.
[]
get floor or in ear monitors
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
I dont know much about singing, but I believe if you get some earplugs of any sort they would block out the outside noise and you would be aqle to hear yourself in your head.

Probably a bad answer but its the best I have
[Insert something clever here]
13kelly knows what he is talking about. Plug those ears and you can hear yourself just fine. I'm in a metal band and it gets loud and many places we play don't even have monitors (or janked up ones at best), but I can hear my pitches in my head as a certain buzz. Takes a bit to get used to but it works great.
If you don't have a way to amplify your voice over the other instruments, then tell your band to play quieter so you can be heard.
A callous exterior isn't an uncommon way of protecting ideals; it hides the idealists from the derision of fools and cowards. But it also immobilizes them, so that, in trying to preserve their ideals, they risk losing them.
Last edited by Attenuare at May 28, 2011,
Monitors would be a good thing. Also, make sure that the audience doesn't have the same issue you are- vocals should be the strongest sound in the mix.
turn it up
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Quote by acade365
get floor or in ear monitors

If you've got a spare amplifier, run your microphone through it. level the tones, and make sure it isn't distorting, and it makes a decent vocal amplifier so you can hear yourself. I used to use a crappy bass amplifier, but a guitar amp would probably work too with the highs rolled off a bit (Like, the knob at 11 o'clock).
If you can't turn the vocals up, then you need to turn the band down. It's that simple.

Running vox through a guitar amp does not work too well. If you're going to run them through anything other than a proper PA, then you should use a keyboard amp, and they typically even have XLR inputs for microphones for just that purpose.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.