Hey guys... Okay I am in the process of writing and I'm totally confused. I had a chord progression start on D then go to C the B. Then it went D to C to G. I figured i was writing in Am, all natural notes. But it sound very major? I was looking around and found iron maiden's number of the beast is in D major! why is this in D major when there are no sharps or flats, would that be Am/ c major. I am very confused about keys now. I'm just trying to write some metal with the chords of scales that I know, could some one please help. Btw does anyone know what key deadnight warrior by cob is in thanks guys.
well just quickly, in Number Of The Beast the 4th heard note (or the 2nd different note) is an F#, hence D major (although it's not strictly D major as straight after that chord comes a C major chord, suggesting G major, or D mixolydian, but in practice it's really neither, it's nothing as complicated, just Iron Maiden using whichever chords sound 'good')
There are no rules, just guidelines.

You can write a song in the key of C and just use natural notes. You can also write a song in the key of C and throw in a C# in there somewhere. As long as it sounds good, who's gonna care if a note or a chord is in the correct key.
A callous exterior isn't an uncommon way of protecting ideals; it hides the idealists from the derision of fools and cowards. But it also immobilizes them, so that, in trying to preserve their ideals, they risk losing them.
Quote by patdillon222
Ahhh makes sense. So would my song be major or a minor

What song?
A callous exterior isn't an uncommon way of protecting ideals; it hides the idealists from the derision of fools and cowards. But it also immobilizes them, so that, in trying to preserve their ideals, they risk losing them.
I don't know. Are you playing single notes, power chords, major or minor chords? Be more specific.
Last edited by Attenuare at May 28, 2011,
The melody could be written in the key of C since the root notes of all those chords are natural. You will find an accidental in that B5 chord (a B power chord is a B and an F#) so your melody could be written in the Key of the C with an accidental note in the melody.

Quote by patdillon222
I figured i was writing in Am, all natural notes. But it sound very major? I was looking around and found iron maiden's number of the beast is in D major! why is this in D major when there are no sharps or flats, would that be Am/ c major. I am very confused about keys now.

C major, D major, and A minor are chords and scales, they are not key signatures.
Last edited by Attenuare at May 28, 2011,
Yup no problem. Anything else you want to clear up?
Since you can write your melody in the key of C, you would resolve to C.
Quote by Attenuare
C major, D major, and A minor are chords and scales, they are not key signatures.

How ridiculous. What would you consider to be a key signature then?

Quote by patdillon222
I had a chord progression start on D then go to C the B. Then it went D to C to G. I figured i was writing in Am, all natural notes. But it sound very major?

You have created a progression in G major. This is why it sounds very major. You are playing power chords, but they're actually major and minor chords with the 3rd omitted. The full progression would look like Dmaj - Cmaj - Bmin - Dmaj - Gmaj. This is a very common chord progression in the key of G major, all diatonic chords.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
How ridiculous. What would you consider to be a key signature then?

Damn, I just re-read what I wrote and realized how stupid that sounded.

Patdillon222, please ignore the comment I said about A minor and G major not being keys.
Last edited by Attenuare at May 29, 2011,
Are you talking about fully-rendered triad chords, or root-fifth power chords.

If you are using only power chords, that could be disguising some information.

Here are a few things that might help sort out your sharps and flats:

D major triad: D F# A
D minor triad: D F A
D power chord: D A

A major triad: A C# E
A minor triad: A C E
A power chord: A E

B major triad: B D# F#
B minor triad: B D F#
B power chord: B F#

C major triad: C E G
C minor triad: C Eb G