I've heard that you need to use bigger strings for lower tunings, but is there a difference between using a fixed bridge and a tremolo like a Floyd Rose.
Ex; I use D'addario 11-49 to tune to Eb, drop C#, dropC or drop B.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
tension is tension
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
you don't "need" thicker strings, thicker strings just help compensate for the lower tuning (less slack) - as long as you are using a fixed bridge, tuning a string gauge doesn't matter much - now if you are using a trem that is a different story since you have to equal out the spring tension first.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
you don't "need" thicker strings, thicker strings just help compensate for the lower tuning (less slack) - as long as you are using a fixed bridge, tuning a string gauge doesn't matter much - now if you are using a trem that is a different story since you have to equal out the spring tension first.

That's what I thought because I only use Fixed Bridges and I've never experience any tuning issues.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>