I've been thinking about this for quite some time, and the majority of metal artists when they write lyrics, in some cases it does end up poetic, but point is, they pretty much throw in a bunch of random stuff and expect ppl to find some deep symbolism in it. To be more specific, I was reading Nightwish lyrics, and some black metal lyrics, and some other stuff, I realized that; everything does sound good, but I also write the same way of lyrics, and I just pretty much do what THEY do, just throw in some random phrases and stuff and expect ppl to find some deep meaning in it, when all along it's some meaningless random gibberish.

Just felt like saying that, I'm sure there are some who agree, I doubt all metal artists write this "deep meaning" bullshit of lyrical format, and I know it's not always like that, but there are ppl who convince themselves that the stuff they write is deep when it is indeed just there to convince people to think in a deeper manner in comparison to the lyrics....I guess it raises the sales up or something. I honestly don't care if u ppl disagree or if you don't care, it's what I've learned based on listening to all types of music for such a long time.
I agree
James Hetfield (backstage) - "I'll do all the solo's as long we play all of St. Anger"
Yep, I pretty much share your opinion - Also what I do most of the time when writing lyrics.
"On a microscopic level, these tiny, sharp particles move through your system, attracting everything from bacteria, fungi, protozoa, viruses, endotoxins, pesticide and drug residues, E-Coli, and heavy metals."

\m/\m/
You have learned this upon listening to all types of music, well obviously you havent heard of Immortal Technique.. his lyrics are not even close to "gibberish"
Quote by Andrew2k
You have learned this upon listening to all types of music, well obviously you havent heard of Immortal Technique.. his lyrics are not even close to "gibberish"

I havn't said all lyrics just a great majority of them, take Megadeth, the early lyrics feel so primitive, while later Megadeth, they actually had good structure and meaning, just because productivity went up.
Often times, it sounds that way because many lyrics are only perfectly decipherable by the lyricists themselves. That's the way it is for me; my lyrics have a lot of personal meaning, but I'm sure a lot of people don't get much out of them.

In other cases, though, you're absolutely right. A lot of bands go into the studio without any lyrics written, and just write lyrics to... well... have lyrics.

But ultimately, I don't think we can be the judges of whether a band intended their songs to have actual meaning or not.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Why make a thread then?

Because I like to plant in seeds in ppls minds so they think about it which they eventually do no matter what.
Quote by Laprevraven
Because I like to plant in seeds in ppls minds so they think about it which they eventually do no matter what.

Oh shut up.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
God forbid we have to think about lyrics in a deconstructive and rigorous way...

Also, Nightwish isn't exactly the best band to listen to for good lyrics, although I'm sure they have some interesting stuff.
Black Metal almost always has some sort of deep meaning behind it... Well I wont say always, but a lot of the time.

And sometimes it's because someone shouldn't be discussing touching moments in their life or ideologies in Thrash Metal or something. And where would Power Metal be without dragons and unicorns!?

Plus really good songs that are about weed...
Strike down Saturn
You shall never consume me
Strike down Saturn
For soon I shall be purely of the eleven!!!

Thrive vesseled man, evolve towards the sublime
Reconcile the numbers long lost in pneumatic cohesion
Blackest bile, PURIFY
Shining one, ILLUMINATE
Ensanguined, UNIFY
God within, CRUSH THE MELANCHOLIC ONE

Terrorize the great malefic
The devouring black obstacle

Strike down Saturn
You shall never consume me
Vitriolic wisdom
Curse the crescent below the cross

Darkness bringer I shall overcome
When isolation reigns over the unified
Fear imbalanced knowledge to transform
Descend the steps towards darkness, and to thus spirit become

Here, Drink to the blood of stone
Here, Thirst to the bile of ash
Here, Feast on the flesh of iron
COME! We shall reap and ignite the impure

Insurmountable perfection is the unity of all that is opposed
When one becomes the work, and when then work is the ONE
Cast out dyscarastic stigmas, balance the aeonic four,
Exaltations rearrange in truth nihil extraneum
Quote by Ironic Maiden
someone shouldn't be discussing touching moments in their life or ideologies in Thrash Metal

Most 'Thrash Metal' was highly political from the influence of Hardcore, and the proto-Death / Black Metal bands certainly carried ideologies and 'heavy' material in their lyrics.
Nobody listens to metal for the lyrical content. It's just typical not there-even the songs that have messages/meanings aren't the most well written. Just the way it is.
Quote by NotFromANUS
Most 'Thrash Metal' was highly political from the influence of Hardcore, and the proto-Death / Black Metal bands certainly carried ideologies and 'heavy' material in their lyrics.

Yeah, and that's why Thrash Metal political ideologies get old since it's the same shit.

Also, OP, do these words not speak to you, man?

Eight times of fel-an-fo-fi
Like cobalt cast and clean
I got a mojo felt the wheel
Real fashion feel
Tri-Jack it, black it for more
Handcuffs with special keys
Triple locked and been down defiled
It's a V. S. I.

Throw a case of plasticine down
Baby I can immolate
And it's rotten in my rounds
Sister's in my way
I'm as fast as my home town
Green glass it most of all
Been around this foreign cage
Villiage in the wall.

Quote by FifthHorsemen
Nobody listens to metal for the lyrical content. It's just typical not there-even the songs that have messages/meanings aren't the most well written. Just the way it is.

wrong.

Primordial has some of the most heart wrenching lyrics I've heard.
Quote by FifthHorsemen

Well yes, just because there are many, many bands, but most musicians, if they feel inspired they will look at the lyrics, especially those who want to sing along to them.
Quote by Laprevraven

Philosophy > Life
Quote by MoogleRancha

Great movie, I was about to quote from the movie but I was like nahhh, but no I was somewhat always like this, Idk about what anyone says, except what i say and as long as ppl here it because I knew they were always going to think about it.
Just like Hitler's disdain for the Jewish race makes me constantly consider whether the Aryan race just may be supreme.
Philosophy > Life
Oh no
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.