what makes a great headbanging riff? i can write hundreds of riffs but nothing really makes me really wanna headbang. is there a secret?
this signature has my gear in it. nothing more, nothing less

Gear
Ibanez S770PB
Jackson Rhoads
Custom Strat
Agile Al 3100
Rainbow Music Shop Custom Les Paul
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Spider III
Quote by meow1992
what makes a great headbanging riff? i can write hundreds of riffs but nothing really makes me really wanna headbang. is there a secret?

That's a pretty good question, but to answer your question I'd have to go with something like a really repetitive fast rift, or something slow and brutal, also easy and repetitive, well I don't really head bang to technical stuff lol, it's like trying to head bang to Necrophagist, it's almost impossible because of the fN Time signatures.
learn how to chainsaw, chainsaw = headbang!
Quote by Macabre Lullaby

Wait, so not only did I NOT get drunk, I also got PREGNANT and didn't even get any homosex out of it. Worst night ever.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
My girlfriend's doing a double degree in law. I think dick jokes are funny.
Quote by meow1992

Yeah, so I like thrash metal a lot, and I had the intention of writing thrash metal, so I start writing music and none of it grabs me until my wife is like "try less distortion and play a little slower" and it was like holy crap, I've been writing more laid back progressive rock and playing it at thrash metal speed...no wonder it never seemed to grab me.

I'm not necessarily saying that is what is happening with you, but you never know.
Headbanging involves something which makes you go "fuck yeah". Usually higher speed, too technical stuff, makes you go "woah". The rhythm plays a big part - you want the headbanging to be accentuated on the beating of the drums, maybe even the bass. For example, think Angel of Death: the middle is IMO more headbang-appealing than the rest of the song, because it's quite more sustainable. Also, mandatory Bohemian Rhapsody mention . Just make it groove.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Some of this is going to sound obvious but whatever.

Simple riffs, that fit well with the drums, enough to make you want to like go crazy.

When you want to headbang to what you are writing, try not to make it crazy and have weird time sigs and shit.

Make it heavy, and sometimes chugging, though overrated(overhated too) works in a song if you want to headbang.
who the hell are the first 6 posters

i give up

you headbang when the riff is like heavy and crushing but like groovy and fun but still evil and shit i think like slayer and metallica had it down pat you know etc etc

close this shiiiiiiiiiit
Philosophy > Life