I have an Ibanez RG3EXfm1 with jumbo frets and I (stupidly) filed down a few frets to get rid of a buzz on the D string. Now I didn't just go straight to filing as soon as the buzz started! I adjusted the truss rod and string height at the bridge, but nothing fixed it. It only existed on the 9th, 10th and 11th fret, so I assumed the problem lied within the 12th-15th fret on the board. I got rid of the buzz by very slightly filing down fret wires on the 10-13th frets with (Don't yell at me, please) a fingernail file.

This fixed the buzz, but created a new problem (Of course...). The fret wires that I filed are now rough, and it makes a sawing noise when I do a vibrato or a bend. The noise isn't what concerns me, since it doesn't pick up on the amp, but I'm thinking this is going to shorten my string life pretty drastically. It's not "jagged" or anything, just not smooth enough to give me a clean bend/vibrato.

In an attempt to fix this problem, I grabbed one of those 4-sided fingernail "block" things with sides for filing, smoothing, buffing and shining fingernails. I took the smoother and the buffer to the fret wires and it did help SLIGHTLY, but the problem still exists. Now naturally, I know that with a fret crowning tool I could fix this, but I don't have money to order on online, and there isn't a guitar shop for 40 miles from this small town I live in, and I don't have a way of traveling anywhere out of town.

Is there anything I can do to fix this stupid mistake for under $20? Something I can grab from a hardware store or something?

This guitar is the only one I've had for nearly 3 years and I definitely cannot replace it any time soon. There must be SOMETHING I can do to fix this! >.<
Try the finest grit whetstone you can find. It'll take a while, but it won't ruin your frets. You may have to break it into narrow pieces. Don't forget to put tape on the fingerboard!
Quote by scorpio2billion
Try the finest grit whetstone you can find. It'll take a while, but it won't ruin your frets. You may have to break it into narrow pieces. Don't forget to put tape on the fingerboard!

Where would one get a fine grit whetstone? Hardware store?
Yep. or Wal-Mart. A hardware store would probably have a better selection, though- depending on where you live.
Quote by scorpio2billion
Yep. or Wal-Mart. A hardware store would probably have a better selection, though- depending on where you live.

Before I spend any money though, is there anything else someone can think of?

I'm poooooooooor with a capital ****.
Also, would the scraping from the fretwire actually hurt the strings? Because if it's just the annoying sound I have to worry about, I'll just wait and get it refretted.
some kind of fret polish, or 0000 steel wool will probably do the trick. using a fingernail file (assume it was ur wife's or ur sister's) was a good idea I think! I think its just hard and rough enough to do a fine job like a fret file! hahaha

but honestly, I bought this thin sandpaper on a stick kinda thing, it reminded me of a fingernail file. haha
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by mbthewisewolf
Before I spend any money though, is there anything else someone can think of?

I'm poooooooooor with a capital ****.

Sandpaper would be a bit cheaper, but you need some real fine grit. 2000 at coarsest. Try for 4000-8000 if you can find it. It would be a fair bit cheaper than a whetstone of that grit. Start with about 2000-4000 and then polish it up with 4000-8000 once it feels smooth to the touch.
I was actually able to get it smoothed out pretty well with a fingernail smoother, but theres still just the slightest sense of roughness on a few of the fret wires. Will this hurt anything? If it won't kill my strings, I'll deal with it until I can get a crowning file online.

Thanks all!