I realize that everyone really has their own voice, but who/what are you influences?
Any genres you specifically write like or enjoy writing for? Or how bout lyricists that you really like to emulate or idolize? And why?

Honestly I think the biggest influence on my writing right now Eminem, especially his latest CD. Just his delivery and his internal rhyming and his lyrics are just so damn powerful, brutal and elegant all at once. But then combine that with how I'm heavily influence by Nu Metal/Hard Rock/Metalcore in my music taste mostly and playing style. But also recently I've been dipping into Folk and Bluegrass and so thats influencing me also in my lyrical style and writing style.

So really I'm in the process of redefining myself I guess. What about you guys?
my main influences for both lyricism and voice are eddie vedder, dave matthews, and george harrison. they all define who i really am as a singer.
Everyday things change..

Basically they stay the same.
Avenged Sevenfold and All That Remains. The harmonies of A7X with the riffs of ATR. Maybe some outlying influences in Megadeth and Alter Bridge. Lyrically, my influences are Bullet for My Valentine style. Not in delivery or subject matter but the ratio of vocals to screams. Lyrics are straight from the tormented thoughts and memories in my head.
Last edited by booby50 at May 28, 2011,
Guy Picciotto, Jordan Dreyer, Cedric Bixler-Zavala are possibly my three favourites, though I like countless others. I've also been reading a lot of Edgar Allan Poe and Sylvia Plath lately, so their influence tends to leak into my writing. I don't sing much, but when I do, I'd say my delivery is influenced by Guy Picciotto, Henry Rollins, Jon Vance, and a bit of Kurt Cobain.
well i like the writing style of james maynard keenan. i liek the darkness and poetry in his lyrics and how some of them evoke strong images. i like the lyrics of a french artist: francis cabrel allso.

and musically i have been influenced by quite different things lately: porcupine tree and periphery being my 2 favorite bands atm i tend to mix djenty stuff with soundscapes of echoing sounds and crystal clean harmonies.

allthough i don't make djent music at all and the only djent bands i will ever listen to probably are periphery and tesseract
Last edited by AEnesidem at May 29, 2011,
Lyrically, I'm influenced more by writers than lyricists. Charles Bukowski, Hunter S Thompson, William S Burroughs, Sylvia Plath are all major influences on me.

My vocal ability is a bit lacking. I've heard Billie Joe Armstrong and the All-American Rejects guy in the past, which isn't really what I want.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Lyrics: Cormac McCarthy, Dave Wyndorf, Jerry Cantrell, Benjamin Bidwell, Citizen Cope, etc.

Music: Stoner rock, grunge, blues, classic rock, country, etc.
Lyrics: Trent Reznor, Imogen Heap, Robert Lowell, Kele Okereke, Matt Berninger
My lyrics are deeply personal and not overly dressed-up. I don't use straightforward rhyme much, yet I try to pull together some sort of hook. I also like to use a lot of half-rhymes, assonances and alliteration so that my lyrics will sound decently catchy without sounding cheesy.

Vocals: Michael Stipe, Chris Martin, Ben Gibbard, Dave Matthews
I have a fairly limited range (up to the E above middle C on a good day), so I try to make my voice really clear so I don't sound like I'm mumbling all the time. I usually end up sounding kind of half-nasally (in a Michael Stipe or Dave Matthews sense), which I've found works. I also find myself in falsetto a LOT, hence the Chris Martin and Ben Gibbard influence.

Music: The National, Bloc Party, Imogen Heap, Sonic Youth, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Switchfoot, Porcupine Tree, Keane
I approach songs from a "melody first" standpoint. If a song doesn't have a strong melody, what's the point? I leave a lot of space, as well, between vocal lines and lead instrument parts, which makes for songs with very few lyrics. I also try to keep a balance across the pitch range, which usually means only one guitar part.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Dylan, Hendrix, Clapton, Green, Bowie, Cash, Morrison, and also reading books, and things that truly amaze me all influence my lyrics.
On the riff/chord progression side. I really don't know, I just jam till I get something good.
With vocals, I don't know, I'm not keen on my voice, I definitely have good and bad days with my singing. I'd love to get to a point where I can sound like Ray Charles every day, but that just won't happen for me at the moment. I have been told that I have an emotional voice that fits the music well, but I'm not so sure.
Last edited by TrueBlues at Jun 1, 2011,
Quote by shadow__666
Lyrically, I'm influenced more by writers than lyricists. Charles Bukowski, Hunter S Thompson, William S Burroughs, Sylvia Plath are all major influences on me.

come hang out with me. hahaha.

but yeah, a lot of really great songwriters are avid readers. so grab a book! any book. stories, novels, poetry, nonfiction. really anything will help.
that doesn't mean you have to write about what you read, but the things you take from your reading will find its way into your writing.
John Darnielle, Justin Pierre, Charles Bukowski, Maynard James Keenan, Nicole Krauss, Isaac Asimov, Phillip K. Dick, Charles Manson (his work is amazing), the whole beat poet and new beat poet movement, the Weakerthans, Kristian Matsson, Colin Meloy, Death Cab For Cutie...

I could go on, but it's quite a lot longer and I'd be writing for hours. Pretty much everything I read or listen to has a way of changing the way I write ever so slightly.
Lady Gaga. Not The Fame, but Monster and Born This Way have alot of meaning that hits home.

EDIT:

Quote by IommiPage
Guy Picciotto, Jordan Dreyer, Cedric Bixler-Zavala are possibly my three favourites, though I like countless others. I've also been reading a lot of Edgar Allan Poe and Sylvia Plath lately, so their influence tends to leak into my writing. I don't sing much, but when I do, I'd say my delivery is influenced by Guy Picciotto, Henry Rollins, Jon Vance, and a bit of Kurt Cobain.

Sig! SIG.

That's so weird.
My main influences writing wise are Bob Dylan, Jim Morrison, and Ben Gibbard. Music wise I would say George Harrison or Hendrix. I'm not much of a singer, so I try to do a talk/sing style like Bob Dylan.
I'm a huge fan of Tommy Rogers of Between the Buried and Me. I love his first person prose style, always sounds like he's telling me a story. Also, Arif Mirabdolbaghi, bassist of Protest the Hero and main lyricist, never fails to impress me. Kezia with it's ethically and morally challenging themes, and he just paints a massive picture with Fortress, or so it seems to me.

As for vocal inspirations, Myles Kennedy of Alter Bridge is one of my idols, as well as Daniel Gildenlow of Pain of Salvation. To me, they are two of the greatest vocalists right now.

Oh, and Devin Townsend.
Language is the heart's lament, a weak attempt to circumvent the loneliness inherent in the search for permanence.