Poll: Can drums be considered melodic?
Poll Options
View poll results: Can drums be considered melodic?
Yeah
198 72%
Nah
78 28%
Voters: 276.
Page 1 of 4
A thought occured in my head today. Can drums be considered, or do something that is considered melodic? In a way, drums don't really have a definite pitch, but in a way, they do. You can hear a tone/pitch difference between the snare and floor tom for example. There is also drum solos and the like. Some people might have a different opinion and say drums are solely a rhythm instrument. So what do you think, pit? Discuss.

EDIT: Im speaking solely about a DRUM SET.
pinga
Last edited by Cb4rabid at May 28, 2011,
Timpanis maybe kinda not really but sorta.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Yes.

Timpani, talking drums etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4oQJZ2TEVI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKmK-nFdMXM

Anything that can resonate can have a pitch. So of course they can be melodic.
Steel drums definitely.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
If you're talking about a drum kit, then no. Melodic = melody = notes = drum does not have.

As everyone else stated, you've got things like Timpani which do have pitch, or steel drums. In that sense, then drums can be melodic.
Yep. Like they said timpani and talking drums, and having a huge rack of toms all tuned to different pitches.
you're a stone fox
Absolutely.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
They have a definite pitch, just not a sustained pitch at the usual range. But drums have frequencies, which is why they can be tuned based on sympathetic harmonic resonance.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by aCloudConnected
If you're talking about a drum kit, then no. Melodic = melody = notes = drum does not have.

As everyone else stated, you've got things like Timpani which do have pitch, or steel drums. In that sense, then drums can be melodic.

It kinda does have notes. Not like a guitar, but terry bozzio pulled it off
pinga
Strictly speaking for regular drum kits, yes. Not quite literally 'melodic', but certain styles exude a similar feeling. I would call Ringo Starr's drumming melodic.
Well according to some American dictionary (Merriam Webster) melody is defined as 'a sweet or agreeable succession or arrangement of sounds', so um, yes, in that sense drumming can definitely be melodic (I'm thinking some Brann Dailor here).
But to be fair, American dictionary, ehhh...
Quote by L2112Lif
Two words...

Terry...

Bozzio.

EDIT:

Yes. Grr, you technically ninja'd me...

I thought his set was bigger than that...
Quote by THEdevilYOUknow
No, it's plain science, women are evil

Quote by MB343
Women = time x money
time = money
Money = √evil
women = √evil x √evil
women = evil
Is the main riff in ...And Justice For All melodic??? It kinda has a tune to it, and it's what the main riff was based around, but I'm not sure. I can't really think of any other beats or patterns that are melodic though.
Quote by Xiaoxi
They have a definite pitch, just not a sustained pitch at the usual range. But drums have frequencies, which is why they can be tuned based on sympathetic harmonic resonance.

Way to say exactly what I said, man.

Listen to Jazz. During drum solos players will often play their own version of the "melody". take this song for instance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4DTR0I7xhA
Just listen to the first 20 seconds if you're not familiar with the tune and then you'll know the melody. Then skip to around 7:00 and listen to the drum solo. You'll hear little snippets of the melody all throughout the solo. Obviously this is more of a rhythmical thing, but the pitch of specifics pieces in the kit also play a part in giving his melody lines disctinction.

I recommend listening to the whole thing by the way. Great tune, and very accessible even to non-jazz listeners.
Balls.
Last edited by rmr024 at May 28, 2011,
Quote by TheBurningFish
Way to say exactly what I said, man.

I'm talkin bout any drums, not just timpani!

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Yeah, if your playing with a band your drums should be tuned to concert pitch just like anything else.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm talkin bout any drums, not just timpani!

It was a joke, bro.

Stop knowing so many things and stuff.

Or upload and torrent your brain.

Quote by TheBurningFish
It was a joke, bro.

Stop knowing so many things and stuff.

Or upload and torrent your brain.

Sir I am sorry but as per compliance with RIAA, my brain is available only for download on iTunes. $1.99 per knowledge cookie with DRM protection. You should BE so lucky!

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Sir I am sorry but as per compliance with RIAA, my brain is available only for download on iTunes. $1.99 per knowledge cookie with DRM protection. You should BE so lucky!

Only on iTunes? You sell out *****.

Quote by Xiaoxi
Does the iTunes version come with bonus knowledge?
Quote by due 07

Probably has 'album only' under the price
pinga
Quote by due 07

Yes! The special edition (for a limited time) comes with shit that you never knew you cared about!

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yes! The special edition (for a limited time) comes with shit that you never knew you cared about!

Do I get a coupon code for a free half of your brain's capacity when I sign up for your e-newsletter?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by necrosis1193
Do I get a coupon code for a free half of your brain's capacity when I sign up for your e-newsletter?

...I have an e-newslet--I mean, of COURSE!!

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Oh look at the time, I gotta eat!

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
...I have an e-newslet--I mean, of COURSE!!

Greatest deal ever.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Page 1 of 4