does anybody have any suggestions on indie/alternative rock guitars? i want the perfect sound but semi-hollow bodies look ugly as hell and i was thinkin of stickin with the les paul but anyways any suggestions?
What amp are you using?

Your guitar doesn't matter much for your tone. A Les Paul will do most things fine.

Also, what kind of indie/alternative are we talking about here? Noisy, fuzzy stuff like Dinosaur Jr/Jesus and Mary Chain, or gentler stuff? Help me help you.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
There isn't any particular guitar that is especially suited to those genres. Indie guitarists often try to play something that is "different" for the sake of being different. Fender Jaguars, Mustings and Jazzmasters were often popular with indie and alt-rock bands, but you can use anything.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
im using a marshall mg15 (cheap arent i)
herro im yerro just like homer simpson!
Yeah, you need a new amp first. Probably some effects as well depending on what you play.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
also im just talkin bout u know just mild and little bit excitin sometimes like the strokes, interpol, muse, smashing pumpkins, arctic monkeys, etc
i was thinkin of buyin mg30fx and an eddie van halen signature wah just for a mix of genre or an eddie van halen phaser 90 (im a big evh fan)
OK, how much are you willing to spend? Because a Marshall MG won't get you any of those tones.

It won't get you any tone other than the sound of someone taking a dump.
Quote by Cathbard
i was actually focusing on some pickups and effects not really amps but im willin to spend minus the cost of the guitar bout 500 XP
Amp affects tone significantly more than pickups and guitars.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Let me make a suggestion for you - don't worry about a guitar. Get your amp/FX sorted first, because they contribute to the bulk of your tone.

Is that $500US? Because you're in Fender Blues Jr territory there which, with a good fuzz pedal, will get you the sound you're after without any need to mess with your guitar.
Quote by Cathbard
i was just thinkin of gettin a crybaby or just a decent distortion pedal
OK, let me ask a few other questions:
- do you gig?
- are you willing/able to go used?
Quote by Cathbard
no i do not gig lmao and i would rather spend more than go use since used stuff are always dirty as shit and i hate usin stuff other people used since they coulda messed it up or something like that
OK, fair enough.

Here's a few suggestions I have for you then.

Fender Blues Jr + Big Muff Pi
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-hot-rod-series-blues-junior-iii-15w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/electro-harmonix-classics-usa-big-muff-pi-distortion--sustainer-guitar-effects-pedal/153314000000000

This will get you close to the the Siamese Dream-era Pumpkins sound. I believe the Strokes also use a similar dirt setup.

or the Vox AC15

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/vox-custom-ac15c1-15w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp

More of a classic indie rock tone.

After that, you look at whatever FX you see fit. But these are good amps to build on, although I wouldn't use dirt pedals with the Vox.
Quote by Cathbard
ok im focused on the Vox Custom AC15C1 15W 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp
but just a question would the tone cut be the thing controlling the overdrive and gain produced from the amp? and as for the Electro-Harmonix Classics USA Big Muff PI Distortion / Sustainer Guitar Effects Pedal it looks pretty much like the pedal i needed but i also need a new guitar. i was thinking of buying the Epiphone (i know epiphone sucks) Les Paul Royale a couple days before in http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-les-paul-royale-electric-guitar/h64928000001000 and all those items corners 2 around 1200 and i dont know if that overflows or not
i just watched a bunch of reviews and demos of vox ac15c1 and im sure thats wat im getting
epiphones dont suck

and whats the guitar you have right now ?
Epiphone Dot Cherry red
Fender Standard Stratocaster black 1980s model
Epiphone EJ-200CE Natural
Telecaster Fender custom
Roland Micro Cube
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
orange tiny terror
With guitars, it's more a question of what you feel comfortable with playing. You can use almost any guitar for any style if you have the right amp and FX. I used a Schecter C-1 for many years in a grunge rock band.

I would suggest going to a guitar store and trying out a bunch of stuff to see what suits you.

The Vox is a good choice. Get that first, then the Muff and then start looking at guitars.
Quote by Cathbard
im still stuck with my first guitar an epiphone les paul junior special $129
i also had some thoughts of modding my guitar but i turned that decision down a long time ago
do u think les paul standard is okay?
If you feel comfortable playing it and it feels solid, it's fine. I have a buddy with an LP special and it's always felt OK to me, although I find them a bit heavy for my taste.
Quote by Cathbard
well i find fenders and hollow bodies a little too raw 4 my taste. i think LP standard is just my type since i played my cousin's LP standard and it had that really packed a punch to the sound. the vox and distortion pedal will help really pack that sweet noise in the sound
There you go. But don't buy off the internet - go in to a store, play the guitars and take the one you like best. See if you can work a deal also.
Quote by Cathbard
ok thanks man really helped me with the advice im probably gonna go 2 sam ash or guitar center to try the guitars out good night
Anytime.
Quote by Cathbard
For indie-rock I really recommend a Fender Jaguar or Mustang for guitar since most indie bands use those. Like every single one I swear. I want one so badly =/ Seems like Shadow helped you with the other stuff.