Okay,

So I currently play an Ibanez Performance Series acoustic-electric. Not a bad sounding instrument, per se, but I'm not really in love with it and at some (unspecified) point in the future I'd like to upgrade. Rather than simply complain about what I don't like about it, I've tried to identify what those things could tell me about what I do want. I've got a pretty good picture of what this dream guitar looks and sounds like, and I've been looking for something close as something to work towards. I haven't found much. I don't know if this is because I'm too picky, or if some aspect of it wouldn't work in real life, or just because I don't know where to look.

I am looking for:
-A solid top, if not all solid wood. A cedar top sounds like something I'd like, but I haven't played one (knowingly, anyway).
-A jumbo body. I like the aesthetics.
-A Venetian style cutaway. I prefer the cutaway for playing reasons, and the style of cutaway for aesthetic ones.

I'm not really limiting myself price-wise because this is a "someday" purchase.

I can't find all three on one commercially available guitar. Can anyone point me in the direction of one or tell me why one can't be found?
I have found 2 guitars you may want to check out. I've played both, and they're both Great guitars.

The first one is the Simon & Patrick Cutaway GT Mini Jumbo Cedar A3T. This guitar has everything you asked for. Solid Cedar top (back and sides are lam, but S&P make really nice lams), Venetian cutaway, and jumbo body (well Mini-Jumbo, so same styling just thinner and more comfortable). This one retails for about $700-$800 depending on where you look.

The next one is the Takamine EG523SC. It has a solid Spruce top (the only thing that doesn't fit your criteria), venetian cutaway and jumbo body. Comes in a couple finishes, while the S&P only comes in Natural. This one is in the same price range as the S&P.

Both are great guitars, it's up to your preference in sound now. Happy hunting!
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
The one thing you need to know about cedar is that you can only strum on it so hard before the sound starts to get muddy. If you're not just grinding out chords on it hard, cedar has a really nice smooth sound to it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Sorry to bump this back up, but after you guys showed me that there are actually options out there, I did some more digging. And I found something I want an opinion on- the Epiphone EJ-200CE. Here's how I'm seeing it-

Pros:
-It has the aesthetics I'm looking for. I do think that matters, since a pretty guitar is going to make you want to play it more often.
-I can afford it right now. I'm kind of in need of a little retail therapy for various reasons.

Cons-:
-I have no idea what a "select spruce" top means. Is it a solid top? Might be a stupid question, but since having a solid top is a selling point, and they seem to conspicuously avoid the term "solid"... I have my doubts. Guessing the sides are laminate, since practically nothing is mentioned about them.
-I haven't played one. Anyone know how they sound? I've heard suprisingly good things about several Epiphone acoustics, But I'm not about to assume that applies to all of them.
The rule of thumb is that if it doesn't say "Solid", it isn't. "Select" is just a fancy word they use to draw people in. If you're looking for that style, then try looking for a used EJ-300SCE. They're out of production, but you can find them pretty cheap used. Found one in L.A for $300 with case! The 300 SCE has a Solid top.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
That's what I thought too, but Epiphone's website actually says it has a solid top... I probably should have checked there before posting (that was a "duh" moment).

Maybe I'll see if I can get my hands on one. I tried some Takamine mini-jumbos, although the Guitar Center I was at didn't have the EG523SC. They didn't sound bad, but they weren't the sound I was looking for.
Quote by Vlaco
. And I found something I want an opinion on- the Epiphone EJ-200CE.

The EJ-200 is a solid-top guitar, but I'd advise against buying it for two main reasons: the sound and the electronics. The guitar just sounds small, very much like a grand auditorium-style, which is significantly smaller in size (play an Em on the Epi J-200, a Gibson J-200 and a Taylor 314 and you'll see what I mean). On the other hand, the Epi has been rife with electronics issues, from shorts and wiring failures to the electronics plain falling out of the guitar.

Granted, it is a decent guitar for this price range and I really like the models I've played, but there are some serious pitfalls here. However, if you like it $450 worth, then by all means, buy it.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Quote by jwd724
The EJ-200 is a solid-top guitar, but I'd advise against buying it for two main reasons: the sound and the electronics. The guitar just sounds small, very much like a grand auditorium-style, which is significantly smaller in size (play an Em on the Epi J-200, a Gibson J-200 and a Taylor 314 and you'll see what I mean). On the other hand, the Epi has been rife with electronics issues, from shorts and wiring failures to the electronics plain falling out of the guitar.

Granted, it is a decent guitar for this price range and I really like the models I've played, but there are some serious pitfalls here. However, if you like it $450 worth, then by all means, buy it.

I'm really not sure how you can compare guitars that are at least 4x its price and say that it sounds bad. I mean... you're only paying like $450 for the guitar. A Taylor 314 is $1600+ and a J-200 is even more than that.

Epiphones are decent for the price. And lets be honest now, you're not paying a whole lot to begin with.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
If it does sound small, then that kind of rules it out. I like a big sound, and if I ever sing and play unplugged, I'll kind of need one. I tend to sing loudly.

If anyone has any other suggestions for me to try out, I'd like to make a list by Monday. I have the day off and may spend it trying to make it to every music store in a decent radius to see how many of them I can try. Mostly because that sounds like a fun way to spend a day off...
im not well versed in a variety of guitars like the other people on here. ive had a few, played a few, and like a few. but i can say i love the ovation style backs - plastic and rounded - for sound. i have an elec-acoustic ovation 12 string that has great depth in sound. its loud and clear, and not all trebley.
also in my sig is my applause (made by the same company as ovation) with the same rounded plastic back, but retopped with a martin steel string blueprint. it sounds great IMO, theres a link in my sig fora small sample, although its short and not recorded very well.
there are ovations with cutaways out there too, but ive never played one. other people have thoughts on ovation?

but on that note if you sit and play a lot, ovation may not be for you. they have a tendency to slide down your leg sometimes because of the shape
Last edited by xadioriderx at Jun 4, 2011,
I bought the Takamine today. I am very pleased. Pictures will be forthcoming.
Sweet, always loved the 523. My favourite Tak.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals