I play the electric guitar and have no problems as far as pain goes for my finger tips, but sometimes when I pick up the acoustic, I feel like my callouses aren't thick enough for them even though they are good enough for the electric. Do I need thicker callouses for the acoustic?
Last edited by musicandthewave at May 29, 2011,
The bronze and steel acoustic strings are a bit harder than electric strings so you will develop thicker callouses over time. I began playing guitar on acoustic and had trouble with that too. I went to a lighter set of strings and that helped quite a bit.
1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
standard acoustic strings are heavier gauge than electric strings. also most factory electric guitars are set up on the high side, so it makes sense to have them set up lower - it's amazing how much more comfortable a well set up acoustic guitar is to play.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
my guitar teacher started me on acoustic,it trains u up easier so when u pick up electric u really feel the improvement.
Quote by XianXiuHong
You don't need strong callouses to play, you just need to know how much pressure is enough pressure to sound a note cleanly.

And how much is enough?
Play. Play until your fingers burn and your veins pump battery acid. Then play some more.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
your fingers hurt? Oh, well now your back's gonna hurt. Cuz you just pulled landscaping duty.

seriously though, just practice more and you'll learn how hard you need to push. Also, as patticake said, a well setup guitar is amazing compared to one not well set up. its one of those things that truly does make a difference.
Quote by Tinderwet
And how much is enough?

Exactly 32.342 grams of force.

What kind of question is that? You can't quantify it for each and every single note or figure you're playing, you'll need to have enough control over your fingers to be able to get the best sound with the least effort.
Quote by XianXiuHong

What kind of question is that? You can't quantify it for each and every single note or figure you're playing, you'll need to have enough control over your fingers to be able to get the best sound with the least effort.

I'm glad you finally realized how vague your original statement was.

I like girls too btw, so cheers!
Quote by Tinderwet
I'm glad you finally realized how vague your original statement was.

I like girls too btw, so cheers!

It's pretty obvious what I meant in my post, perhaps you shouldn't take things so literally.
Quote by austhrax
my guitar teacher started me on acoustic,it trains u up easier so when u pick up electric u really feel the improvement.

Exactly. I tried telling some people that on UG but they don't want to listen in the electric forums. To train your hand, get an acoustic beater with crappy action and play the hell out of it. Then when you pick up the electric it will feel like nothing.

When Albert Pujols stands in the on deck circle he doesn't just swing a plain old bat -- he swings one with weights on the end. Same concept.
Quote by Spud Spudly
Exactly. I tried telling some people that on UG but they don't want to listen in the electric forums. To train your hand, get an acoustic beater with crappy action and play the hell out of it. Then when you pick up the electric it will feel like nothing.

When Albert Pujols stands in the on deck circle he doesn't just swing a plain old bat -- he swings one with weights on the end. Same concept.

I totally agree. My first guitar was a Johnson acoustic I bought for $70. I could have parked my truck under the strings on that stupid sucker! I didn't know any better though, I just wanted to play so badly. By the time I bought a new Epiphone PR-150 that was setup well I couldn't believe how much easier it was to play. Then I bought a Gibson Les Paul studio when I decided to go electric and playing it was so easy I could play 50 songs without a break when on my original Johnson I was lucky to bang out 10 without pain!
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
Quote by 1500 meanstreak
I totally agree. My first guitar was a Johnson acoustic I bought for $70. I could have parked my truck under the strings on that stupid sucker! I didn't know any better though, I just wanted to play so badly. By the time I bought a new Epiphone PR-150 that was setup well I couldn't believe how much easier it was to play. Then I bought a Gibson Les Paul studio when I decided to go electric and playing it was so easy I could play 50 songs without a break when on my original Johnson I was lucky to bang out 10 without pain!

I basically said that in the electric forum and the responses were mostly, "If you start with a shitty guitar you're just going to get discouraged and quit." Which I guess means you need to start out on a Gibson LP Custom. If you quit you were never really serious about it in the first place.
when I started playing the acoustic guitar (I teached and still teaching myself) sometimes my index finger bleeded due to the fact that it was not very thick.. now it's ok.. keep on playing
Play so u get big lines in your finger haha .i play all the time and now even my 12 string feel s easy you just need a good and well setup guitar
Quote by XianXiuHong

LOL.

And all these years I've been wingin' it..
"Because hoes don't trust anyone.. especially me."