Hey guys, basically I've been wanting to learn as much theory as I can and lately that's been hard.. No matter what I do I can't seem to read about something that doesn't need me to already know abut something that I don't know about.

For example, I'm subscribed to this person on YouTube. (Not sure if I'm allowed to post his name) Anyways, he talks about theory alot and I enjoy his videos but I can never really understand what he means. And whenever I'm bored I'll come ehre and try and learn random things off threads other people here in the MT but again, can't understand most of it.

So long story short, what should I do? I know basically about is what the Crusade columns on here teach you, and a little more but I'm not confident that I know much other than the crusades at all. I want to understand and learn more but honestly I've lost all direction, maybe some one can put me back on path and point me what to learn next??
Sometimes people forget what it was like playing an instrument as a beginner that when it comes to teaching someone it hardly makes sense. There are articles that are easy to understand than others you just have to look for them. I started by learning time signatures and tempo. Then went for scales and so on.
Quote by Kortez3000
Sometimes people forget what it was like playing an instrument as a beginner that when it comes to teaching someone it hardly makes sense. There are articles that are easy to understand than others you just have to look for them. I started by learning time signatures and tempo. Then went for scales and so on.

I've been trying to find them but nothing.
www.musictheory.net. Or .com. I can never remember, but that site is great. It explains everything in varying difficulty levels, so it's pretty simple to get some knowledge.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
Quote by gquady09
www.musictheory.net. Or .com. I can never remember, but that site is great. It explains everything in varying difficulty levels, so it's pretty simple to get some knowledge.

Alright thanks, I'll check it out. Also, does anyone know a sight that can maybe give me simple definitions of words that are used in music?
How is your sight reading? Music theory lessons typically require a fundamental understanding of how to read music (standard notation, not tab). If reading music is tough for you, brushing up on that may help with the theory lessons.

Lance
www.lancevallis.com
The website I listed teaches you everything you need to know about common words as far as musical notation goes, but also check out this Lance guy's website.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
Quote by schism8
Hey guys, basically I've been wanting to learn as much theory as I can and lately that's been hard.. No matter what I do I can't seem to read about something that doesn't need me to already know abut something that I don't know about.

For example, I'm subscribed to this person on YouTube. (Not sure if I'm allowed to post his name) Anyways, he talks about theory alot and I enjoy his videos but I can never really understand what he means. And whenever I'm bored I'll come ehre and try and learn random things off threads other people here in the MT but again, can't understand most of it.

So long story short, what should I do? I know basically about is what the Crusade columns on here teach you, and a little more but I'm not confident that I know much other than the crusades at all. I want to understand and learn more but honestly I've lost all direction, maybe some one can put me back on path and point me what to learn next??

@Kortez - you bring up a good point. I know of very few people that are good at teaching...most people suck badly at teaching, and I say that as a teacher. It's one thing to be a good player, but the skill sets required for teaching are worlds away from that.

No book has done it yet, and very few articles have done it.

@schism8 Teaching yourself saves money but costs you in other ways. Have you considered a private teacher, that really knows how to teach?

Being self taught is the hardest, most frustrating and slowest way there is to learn.

If you feel like you know everything there is to understand from the Crusades, now what? You've ended up with.....?

Why exactly do you want to learn theory? How does that tie in with other goals you have?

@funkyguitar - one of the biggest reasons that most people never get to theory is its traditionally taught using sight-reading. I teach it without any sight reading. There are later portions where I do teach use notes and slash for the purpose of rhythmic notation. That's where sightreading ends. That's not hard. Sight-reading isn't essential to understand and be able to use theory on the guitar.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at May 29, 2011,
Quote by Sean0913
@Kortez - you bring up a good point. I know of very few people that are good at teaching...most people suck badly at teaching, and I say that as a teacher. It's one thing to be a good player, but the skill sets required for teaching are worlds away from that.

No book has done it yet, and very few articles have done it.

@schism8 Teaching yourself saves money but costs you in other ways. Have you considered a private teacher, that really knows how to teach?

Being self taught is the hardest, most frustrating and slowest way there is to learn.

If you feel like you know everything there is to understand from the Crusades, now what? You've ended up with.....?

Why exactly do you want to learn theory? How does that tie in with other goals you have?

@funkyguitar - one of the biggest reasons that most people never get to theory is its traditionally taught using sight-reading. I teach it without any sight reading. There are later portions where I do teach use notes and slash for the purpose of rhythmic notation. That's where sightreading ends. That's not hard. Sight-reading isn't essential to understand and be able to use theory on the guitar.

Best,

Sean

I wish I could afford one.. it's sadly not an option currently.

From the crusades I feel like i understands alittle of the basics. I know how to create Min/Maj scales and how to harmonize them into Maj/Min, 7ths chords, what ever it teaches. I would say the basics if anything but I don't know what to learn.

And the reason I want to learn is because I enjoy music a lot and have always since the beginning of my playing wanted to understand music and what's happening. My goals are to be able to write(I can to an extent, but once again with only what the crusades taught.) my own songs. I'm not sure how learning theory exactly fits in but regardless, I want to learn it.
Take your time, imo. Use that time to let the concepts settle in, and make them your own. You have to make sure when learning new things that you understand the previous material for the full 100%. Otherwise you're just getting ahead of yourself, and it will slow the learning process.

You'd be surprised how far a good understanding of triads and seventh chords can bring you, and how vital it is for the rest of the learning process of being a musician.
Quote by schism8
I wish I could afford one.. it's sadly not an option currently.

From the crusades I feel like i understands alittle of the basics. I know how to create Min/Maj scales and how to harmonize them into Maj/Min, 7ths chords, what ever it teaches. I would say the basics if anything but I don't know what to learn.

And the reason I want to learn is because I enjoy music a lot and have always since the beginning of my playing wanted to understand music and what's happening. My goals are to be able to write(I can to an extent, but once again with only what the crusades taught.) my own songs. I'm not sure how learning theory exactly fits in but regardless, I want to learn it.

What/How many songs have you written using theory?

How many songs have you analyzed using theory?

First of all you don't need theory to write songs or do any of the things that you are wanting to do. Theory sure makes the progress a lot more...easier I suppose, in terms of giving you some intelligent options, and explaining what's working and why. But that's not a blanket endorsement for claims of the results of knowing theory equating to "I'm a good songwriter".

If you want to learn theory, I don't know what to tell you man. You say that lessons aren't an option. But at some point, I think any meaningful progress in this area will only be realized when and if you can afford to/are willing to make that investment.

What would you tell me if I wanted to learn the best way to become a heart surgeon, or an attorney but couldn't afford school?

At some point, what you want and what you can afford are going to meet a reality check. How many articles of Pentatonics and CAGED scaled do you need before you realize its the same thing? How many Circle of Fifths articles does it take before you understand it's use? How many articles for free will you need to find before you have a strong grasp on theory?

Do you really think that it's possible to achieve these goals using these means? If so, how long do you think will it take?

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at May 30, 2011,
Quote by Sean0913
What/How many songs have you written using theory?

How many songs have you analyzed using theory?

First of all you don't need theory to write songs or do any of the things that you are wanting to do. Theory sure makes the progress a lot more...easier I suppose, in terms of giving you some intelligent options, and explaining what's working and why. But that's not a blanket endorsement for claims of the results of knowing theory equating to "I'm a good songwriter".

If you want to learn theory, I don't know what to tell you man. You say that lessons aren't an option. But at some point, I think any meaningful progress in this area will only be realized when and if you can afford to/are willing to make that investment.

What would you tell me if I wanted to learn the best way to become a heart surgeon, or an attorney but couldn't afford school?

At some point, what you want and what you can afford are going to meet a reality check. How many articles of Pentatonics and CAGED scaled do you need before you realize its the same thing? How many Circle of Fifths articles does it take before you understand it's use? How many articles for free will you need to find before you have a strong grasp on theory?

Do you really think that it's possible to achieve these goals using these means? If so, how long do you think will it take?

Best,

Sean

One song and have analyzed nothing.

Like I said, even IF i don't need theory to write songs I astill want to learn it and be able to understand music. I don't care how long it takes either, I never said I wanted to learn it right away and know all about it within days/weeks/months/years whatever.
I simply asked what to do next, so I don't get a head of myself and start learning something that I won't ultimately understand.
Last edited by schism8 at May 30, 2011,
start with intervals = the distance between notes.

move to chord construction using intervals u can form chords.

major and minor scales are intervals. the chromatic scale is intervals.

what really got my ball rolling was this

1 b2 2 b3 3 4 b5 5 b6 6 b7 7 1 the chromatic scale intervals

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 the major scale intervals

Now what?

play the chromatic scale resite every interval back to 1. look at it notice the major scale. play that.

play the minor scale 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 1

this applys on any note the exact same way theres no differences.

want to learn the same scale everywhere?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 etc

this means if you start on C major play the same scale from D (2) then from E (3) then F(4)

The great thing about C major is it has no sharps and flats so learn A B C D E F G all those notes play them everywhere.

Work all this stuff out yourself dont look up tabs for scales. If you havnt learned how to somewhat navigate the fretboard you need to start you should be able to figure out whatever note it is your playing.

It may not seem like much but after you get the hang of that and start learning harmony and about chord/scale qualities it will really pay off

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 Major
2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 Minor
3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 Minor
4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 Major
5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 Major
6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 Minor
7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Dimished

The context of the song as alot to do with it. so just because your song is in C major and your play the D minor scale does not mean your playing in D minor. but worry about that later. hope that helps
I took music theory in college, which coincided with me learning the guitar. I had a great professor that really helped me grasp it.

If you want to some college credits, you may think about finding a music theory class at a community college. That way you will have a professor to actually ask questions to.