So my friend plays drums and the neighbors dont like it. So much that they call the cops everytime he plays. Now he wants to sell his drums (which im half invested in too) to get a guitar. Se are trying to form a band so I want it to be pretty serious. Now I know I cant tell him what to play but I feel like he would be a better drummer then a guitarist. As (even though he doesnt think it counts) but he has played rock band drums a lot for the last tw o years. The only thing he was really lacking was double bass. Which he fixed by learning heal t will probably add morr ddeatails later as im on my phone and the keyboatd is lagging.oe. How do I say this nicely but still be firm.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Cant he soundproof a room?
Its a pretty easy DIY process.
Put soft stuff on the walls, and rubber seal the doors. More soft stuff like quilts on the door.
Sharp projections on the ceiling.

He could also get an electric set that uses an amp and keep the volume low.
You could always find somewhere else to jam. A friend of a friend keeps his drums at his place because of the whole neighbor reason too.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Put soft stuff on the walls, and rubber seal the doors. More soft stuff like quilts on the door.

Right? That's what I would want to do.. Although money is kind of an issue right now.. I like the electric but I get the feeling he doesn't want to play an electric..

Quote by JetPackBlues
If he wants to play guitar, let him play guitar, god damn it.

I'm not stopping him, I just don't think he's the player I'm looking for (keyword think, who knows he could turn out great), and he wants to play in the same band I think.

Quote by Kortez3000
You could always find somewhere else to jam. A friend of a friend keeps his drums at his place because of the whole neighbor reason too.

Yeah, but that kind of defeats the purpose of it, as I want to start jamming with a drummer or band with drummer 6 + hours a day.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91

Quote by brandon2784
Now I know I cant tell him what to play but I feel like he would be a better drummer then a guitarist.

Just say that, but if he still wants to sell his drum set for a guitar, then you should leave it alone and let him do his thing.
A callous exterior isn't an uncommon way of protecting ideals; it hides the idealists from the derision of fools and cowards. But it also immobilizes them, so that, in trying to preserve their ideals, they risk losing them.
Quote by Attenuare
Just say that, but if he still wants to sell his drum set for a guitar, then you should leave it alone and let him do his thing.

I know! Even though it would upset me because I invested my money so I could have a drummer, but I can't stop him, and that's what I said. "I can't stop you if that's what you want to do" to which he replies "well... I just dunno man.. I mean I like them both.. but Idk.." Or some bullshit like that, I wouldn't care if he just came straight out and told me. I just hate all this beating around the bush kinda stuff.

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91

He's right, you can't tell him what to do. Drums are loud, people complain, they may just not be practical for where he's living. It happens.

If you have money invested in the instrument you have two choices;

1. Get your money back from him, or at least the percentage that it represents when it is sold again. (eg. You put in $50 for a $200 set, sells for $100, you get $25).

2. Buy the drumset off him minus your investment. (eg. You put in $50 for a $200 drumset. Sells for $100 to you, you pay $50).

Quote by brandon2784
As (even though he doesnt think it counts) but he has played rock band drums a lot for the last tw o years.

Hmm maybe I should change my sig....
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Hmm maybe I should change my sig....

By all means, I guess he's just a prodigy then, because he can play Thirty and Seven by August Burns Red, The Air that I Breathe by All that Remains, and a bunch of others after only having a drum set for like 3 weeks. So I'm sure it didn't help him at all...

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91

Quote by brandon2784
By all means, I guess he's just a prodigy then, because he can play Thirty and Seven by August Burns Red, The Air that I Breathe by All that Remains, and a bunch of others after only having a drum set for like 3 weeks. So I'm sure it didn't help him at all...

Without seeing a video/hearing a record of him I'm not going to make any judgement on his skills, including randomly listing songs.

Did you consider the rest of my answer?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Without seeing a video/hearing a record of him I'm not going to make any judgement on his skills, including randomly listing songs.

Did you consider the rest of my answer?

I can post an old RB fc of his about a year ago, not that you care, but the rolls are legit, he had his kit set up like an electric with mesh heads and all. Yes I did that's probably what we'll end up doing, thanks.

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91

Quote by GS LEAD 5

Wow.... I don't even know where to start with that. I mean it will help, but it will hardly be soundproof. I guess I'll just say you have more reading to do. Soundproofing requires a fair bit of knowledge, and is usually quite expensive.

The basic premises are:

mass + insulation (which can be an airspace) + mass = soundproofing.... where the greater the mass and the better the insulation, the more effective your results are.

Your soft stuff on the walls would be an insulator of sorts, albeit not a very good one probably. You have only 2/3 of the equation.

If air can get out, then sound can get out. If air can't get out, then air can't get in. People need to breathe, yes? So, how do you ensure that air will get in, while NOT allowing sound to get out?

So caulking around all perimeters is a good start, soundproofing generally requires some significant reconstruction to allow for ventilation systems that involve absorptive materials.

You know that old experiment where you take two tin cans and run a length of string between them to make a telephone? Or the one where you can use a jar or a can against a wall to help you hear what is going on in the next room? These experiments highlight the basic (but often surprising) premise that sound does, indeed, travel through solids.

So that mass + insulation + mass equation is based on this premise.... If I have one mass, say a layer of drywall, sound will travel through it. If I have a wall that has a layer of drywall, a framed wall of 2x4 studs, and then another layer of drywall, I should have mass + insulation + mass, right? (drywall + airspace or actual insulation between the studs + drywall) Well... no. Because sound will travel from the room to the drywall, through the drywall screws and the drywall touching the studs, through the studs themselves, and back through the other layer of drywall. The trick: Preventing *any* physical contact between the two masses!!

Also consider this... Same room, but drywall + 2x4 studs + actual insulated gap + 2x4 studs + drywall. This is much better. The two sides of the walls aren't touching at all now! I have cut the string between the two cans and now sound can't travel between them, right? But wait... the sound travels from the room to the floor and ceiling, across the floor and ceiling joists and basically throughout the entire building. DAMN! So the next step is isolating the room from the floor and ceiling joists too, and ensuring a completely insulated space between the two. More significant expense, and more significant reconstruction.

Quote by GS LEAD 5

THIS could be a good solution.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Haha axemanchris' response seems to suggest that the only way to soundproof a room is to have some sort of disconnected floating room inside a bigger room. :P

Obviously I'm just being dumb but that's what I thought of when I read that lol
Quote by alexbass
Haha axemanchris' response seems to suggest that the only way to soundproof a room is to have some sort of disconnected floating room inside a bigger room. :P

Obviously I'm just being dumb but that's what I thought of when I read that lol

You don't know how close this is to the truth as one method of room sound proofing.

Edit: http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/index.php?/library/articles/room_within_a_room
Last edited by Quintex at May 29, 2011,
Actually, you're exactly right. It is the *best* method. Anything else is just a compromise.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Tell the neighbours to **** off. You are allowed to make heaps of noise on your own premises between 9am and 10-11pm
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
That's not necessarily true.

Check out the bylaws in your area. I thought the same thing too.

It turned out that language (in our area anyways) applies to sounds that are "not electronically generated." In other words, this allows people to do things like cut their grass, but ensures that it happens at a reasonable hour.

It restricts things like stereos - and guitar amplifiers - that many people consider a nuisance at any time of day.

That's the technical response.

Now for the pragmatic response:

Your neighbours are people too, and it is our responsibility to try to function as members of a community, no matter where we live. First, it's basic respect for others, which seems to be more and more lacking in our current culture.

Second, starting a war with your neighbours only asks for trouble. They will begin to *look* for things to complain about, just because you have no concept of respect for them. If you need something from them.... don't even ask. Is this the kind of community you want to live in?

My experience says that, with most people, if you are willing to make an effort to work with them, they will make an effort to work with you.

Everybody wins.

CT