Hey all I'm trying to learn to sing and my range is about that of a baritone except for I can't go above middle C (I know, terrible range.) However, I noticed just now that when humming I can hit C5, and I'm not imagining this because I have a digital tuner with me so I'm definitely hitting the note. Is this normal or am I singing wrong?
I would think there is less of a strain on your voice to hum then sing, so singing would feel like its harder.
A callous exterior isn't an uncommon way of protecting ideals; it hides the idealists from the derision of fools and cowards. But it also immobilizes them, so that, in trying to preserve their ideals, they risk losing them.
don't take my word for it, but i would think that would just be you in your falsetto, well actually i'd assume that because you could hum that note that you could hit it in falsetto
I've had similar problems but yeah generally its easier to relax into notes when you hum (even if it is falsetto) but your vocal cords are doing the same thing as when you're singing, so you should be able to hit the same note when singing as well with a bit of practice. One thing to keep in mind though (a problem I had) was that I tended to sing with wayyyy too much tension which made it hard to hit some notes that I could hum comfortably. If thats the case with you then you should be careful cause it can damage your throat
Quote by IfellFromHeaven
don't take my word for it, but i would think that would just be you in your falsetto, well actually i'd assume that because you could hum that note that you could hit it in falsetto

Then you can take my word for it. This is true. Most males cannot hit tenor high C in full voice. Statistically, it is one in ten trained singers. But most males can hit it in falsetto.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Thanks all. Update is that i've been spending today googling head voice and falsetto and i've found that i can hum without break from F2 to A4 but again when i try to sing i can't go above c4. Being able to do it smoothly makes me think it's not falsetto but rather head voice. The big problem is that I don't think i've ever sung in falsetto so I can't differentiate between the two. But do you have any advice for how to hit those notes singing?
I used to be in this boat. If you keep with singing and trying to improve that upper register, you'll slowly pave over those notes and they'll be useable.

I went from topping out at A3, and at the moment I'm at F4.

My advice is to look at some RockTheStageNYC videos on youtube.
practice and vocal technique. dont hum loud your vocal chords may hit eachother to hard causing damage.

my voice flips sooner when i hum. what you need to do is sing the note u want to hit at low volume and get louder and louder. feel pain stop take a break.

mainly what i do is just sing. in my range as freely as i can dont worry about hitting those high notes.
Try taking a breath before you sing the high notes
Works for me
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.