So i plan on getting another guitar in a few weeks, my only issue is that I can't find something I enjoy playing other than a Gibson.

If you are afraid to read the whole thing, look at the last few sentences.

I already have three, and I am looking for something with a little different flavor. I was thinking Rickenbacker or Tele, but I can't find a Tele that sounds/plays how I feel it should, and the only Rickenbacker I felt was perfect was a model at the Winter NAMM show. I have the luxury of living in Los Angeles, so I can basically try any guitar. I've decided if I were going to go Gibson, I want a Larry Carlton Mr.335, or a late 50's Les Paul Reissue, since I love the feel of the necks, and the sound. I've been leaning towards a Gibson Custom Shop 1957 Les Paul Frost Blue, because I already have a Goldtop (though you can never have to many goldtops, I eventually want a Les Paul Deluxe goldtop with Mini humbuckers). The color is limited, and awesome. But they play and sound really cool too. i just think it may be time for me to try something different. I know I will get a humbucker equipped Les Paul sometime in my Life but that blue is just so nice. I was also considering an R8 (R9's are overrated).

Any suggestions for someone with Gibson fever? I play Jazz, indie rock, blues, pretty much everything but country and metal. Thanks...
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Last edited by kracdown at May 29, 2011,
I'm a Gibson fan as well, but decided a while ago that I wanted to be a little different. I went with a Gretsch Duojet. Similar sort of shape to a Les Paul, but different enough make a difference (if that makes sense??). I've actually grown to prefer it to my Gibsons.

I believe you can even get it in a gold colour with mini humbuckers, so it could replace the need for you to get the Les Paul Deluxe you mentioned
Quote by GaryHB
I'm a Gibson fan as well, but decided a while ago that I wanted to be a little different. I went with a Gretsch Duojet. Similar sort of shape to a Les Paul, but different enough make a difference (if that makes sense??). I've actually grown to prefer it to my Gibsons.

I believe you can even get it in a gold colour with mini humbuckers, so it could replace the need for you to get the Les Paul Deluxe you mentioned

Maybe, I looked at a silver duojet with a Bigbsy once, but I didn't think they were very versatile. Cool for rock though.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

could you be more specific as to what you want in a guitar that's different to what you already have?

by the looks of it you've got quite a diverse selection of gibsons there. but judging by the other guitars you've been looking at, i'm guessing you want something with a brighter tone? in which case if you're specifically wanting a gibson, maybe try a firebird?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by thedonutman
Check out Heritage guitars - they're made by former Gibson employees and I believe using old Gibson machines too.

I think Heritage got the empty building and that was it!

TS. IF you like the 50's models consider an R8. You'll get a burst instead of Gold Top, the neck profile you like and the VOS models are priced the same as the R7's. SOme of the flat sawn plain top R8's look really good too.
Moving on.....
^^Don't you love your R7? They have the custom Blue finish that is being sold right now, which I think is awesome, but R8's are awesome too. I also want to be a little different since I have several friends with R8's but what ever. I'd still get one.

Quote by Blompcube
could you be more specific as to what you want in a guitar that's different to what you already have?

by the looks of it you've got quite a diverse selection of gibsons there. but judging by the other guitars you've been looking at, i'm guessing you want something with a brighter tone? in which case if you're specifically wanting a gibson, maybe try a firebird?

I am looking for something a bit brighter, or a Les Paul with humbuckers. I was thinking a Rickenbacker because of that jangley tone (if that makes sense) tone, but they just dont feel exactly right to me.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Last edited by kracdown at May 29, 2011,
^^ Yes my R7 is my favourite but you said you already had a GT so I thought you my like a burst and R8 bursts are a good value.
Moving on.....
On the other end of the spectrum, i am a tele lover, but wanted to try something different. I got a Les Paul, but only kept it for about 3 months because it just never felt right to me. I ended up selling it and getting a Gretsch, which worked for me. If Gibbys are what you love, stick with them.

What about something different, like a firebird?
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
well, since I see no budget. I can tell you my dream guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Junior Special Double Cutaway. It's so friggin sexy. link: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Junior-Special-Double-Cutaway-Electric-Guitar-430806-i1540546.gc

it's got two P-90s so it'll give a fat fat sound.

Just saying, i love the looks
Gear:
LTD EC-50
Vypyr 30

Sanpera II funds: $206

Quote by JKHC
I know....in dumpsters, closets....what next? I'm going to stand outside for the rest of the day. Maybe a guitar will fall out of the sky and I can catch it.
Quote by kracdown
I am looking for something a bit brighter, or a Les Paul with humbuckers. I was thinking a Rickenbacker because of that jangley tone (if that makes sense) tone, but they just dont feel exactly right to me.

ah yeah, i know exactly what you mean about rickenbackers.

gibsons with mini-humbuckers like the firebird, les paul deluxe etc tend to have quite a bright jangly tone - not as bright and jangly as a ric, but still kinda similar in a different sort of way - the firebird was introduced to compete with fenders during the early '60s when jangly tones were very popular.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Output
well, since I see no budget. I can tell you my dream guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Junior Special Double Cutaway. It's so friggin sexy. link: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Junior-Special-Double-Cutaway-Electric-Guitar-430806-i1540546.gc

I've already got a Les Paul with P90's. I like the minihumbucker idea, but my friend has an SG with minis, I didn't love them. A bit too bright, so I went back to using one of my guitars for that Jam session. I didn't really mess with the tone knobs all that much, though I was was playing through his Orange AD140 half stack, which is a darker amp. I like the Gretsch idea and possibly a Deluxe Les Paul or an R7/R8. I really just need to go into a guitar shop with my amp/pedals, but its a sunday and I am looking for more ideas. I wish I liked Teles and Strats, I should try something different, but Gibsons just feel so good!
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Quote by Output

Why is a guitar that was originally a budget model being sold for over a thousand dollars now? I'd also love to get a les Paul special or junior but they're just so expensive.
Quote by fuzzpedal
Why is a guitar that was originally a budget model being sold for over a thousand dollars now? I'd also love to get a les Paul special or junior but they're just so expensive.

that's pretty much budget. I've played a vintage 58 lp jr that was pretty amazing.

I also had a limited edition of the current lp special and it was a pretty good guitar.

Kracdown I'm still not sure why it has to be Gibson though.

you seem like you've got enough money to get what you want so why not explore the other options.

http://www.mattsmusic.com/031511N-prod.html

of course hamer and heritage make some great guitars as well.

these guys have been getting some pretty good rep as well

http://duesenberg.de/en/guitars/hollowbodies/imperial.html
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
that's pretty much budget. I've played a vintage 58 lp jr that was pretty amazing.

I also had a limited edition of the current lp special and it was a pretty good guitar.

Kracdown I'm still not sure why it has to be Gibson though.

you seem like you've got enough money to get what you want so why not explore the other options.

http://www.mattsmusic.com/031511N-prod.html

of course hamer and heritage make some great guitars as well.

these guys have been getting some pretty good rep as well

http://duesenberg.de/en/guitars/hollowbodies/imperial.html

It doesn't have to be Gibson. I am just having trouble finding on non-Gibson I enjoy playing. I have heard some Duesenbergs, and I think they are awesome guitars, I just haven't found a place that carries them near me and I don't want to buy one without holding the exact one in my hands. Duesenberg definitely seems like they make great guitars -not terribly expensive either (compared to custom Gibsons).
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

well colling, hamer, and heritage all make guitars that are the gibson scale length as their thing.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Guitars you should find and play. They may scare you now, but you'll love them.....

Godin Exit 22
Carvin CS6
Guild Bluesbird
Taylor T5
07 Ernie Ball Axis
04 Ernie Ball Axis Supersport MM90
04 Ernie Ball Sub 1
06 Godin Exit 22
69 Guild Studio 302
06 mim Telecaster
2000 Ovation S771 Balladeer
97 Stratocaster mim
2005 Stratocaster mim
99 squier strat
07 Ernie Ball Albert Lee
Quote by AcousticMirror
well colling, hamer, and heritage all make guitars that are the gibson scale length as their thing.

I think it has more to do with neck profile for me. I was also considering Fano Guitars: http://www.fanoguitars.com/altdefactoJM6.html but I want to try one out first, which I know there are dealers near me, but i already have a P90 equipped guitar.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Quote by AcousticMirror

Collings & Heritage are up their and beyond Gibson USA prices.
Moving on.....
Collings guitars are awesome. Some of the nicest guitars I've ever played. The only one I really liked better was a Petrucci BFR.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
what are the key differences in the R7's, R8's, and R9's?
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

R7's are generally goldtops and have beefy necks, R8's are burst with beefy necks, R9's are bursts with slightly less beefy necks.
In VOS an R7, R8 Plain Top or R9 Plain Top should be the same price. Gloss models (in plaintop) are around $300 more. Then if you go to plus tops you can add up to $2000+
Moving on.....
PRS or a G&L
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
PRS or a G&L

I was thinking maybe a PRS semi-hollow but I don't know if any PRS will give me the vibe I want. I need to try some G&L's though. One of my friends has a tele type one with P90's from the 70's that's awesome.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps: