Randy is one of my favorites and I was sitting here earlier listening to Revelation Mother Earth from Ozzy and I thought my God I forgot how crazy that solo was...so I was just wondering, What Scales does Randy Rhoads use? Not just in Revelation Mother Earth, I mean in a majority of his songs/
pentatonic, major, minor, those usual ones

you can hear him use harmonic minor scale, dorian mode, and combining these scales with each other and/or the blues scale (pentatonic with an added b5 note)
He uses the same scales as every other guitarist - major, minor and their pentatonic counterparts.

Knowing a scale isn't going to make you sound like an artist, there's thousands of people making music with those same scales and they all sound different. What differentiates them is how they use those scales. So study Randy's solos and try to understand what he's done with the scale and why he chose to do it.

It's like asking what tools somebody used to make a cabinet because you thought it was really well made. A hammer's a hammer, a screwdriver's a screwdriver, and owning them won't make you any better at making a cabinet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Fretboard Phil
...but you won't build a cabinet until you own a hammer and screwdriver!

IKEA even supplies the tools with the cabinet. Sometimes..

IKEA are not Randy Rhoads though..
IKEA are the furniture equivalent of UG's tab database
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
That's so true. The instructions are even sometimes still in Swedish (dammit Kensai, get in here and translate!)
Check this out, its very interesting and will answer your question well, in fact, just like IKEA it will provide your tools along with your flat pack cabinet.

http://www.guitarworld.com/randy_rhoads

And this is very useful for Randys style to.

http://www.guitarworld.com/soloing_strategies_randy_rhoads
A few of his songs that come to mind
1.)"Mr. Crowley" is in D minor
2.)"GoodBye to Romance" is in D major
3.)"Crazy Train" is in F# minor
4.)"Over the Mountain" is in G# minor

But there certainly were other scales that Rhoads used.
Quote by Mason 95
in crazy train i THINK he used natural minor

I think in Crazy Train he didnt just use one solo.

Id say start off with minor pentatonic and learn how to use it like he did, for example ascending and descending runs in triplets. Also do the blues scale. Randy love the blues scale (thats the minor pentatonic with an added flatted fifth).
Quote by jkielq91
I think in Crazy Train he didnt just use one solo.

Id say start off with minor pentatonic and learn how to use it like he did, for example ascending and descending runs in triplets. Also do the blues scale. Randy love the blues scale (thats the minor pentatonic with an added flatted fifth).

i meant it was either natural minor or harmonic minor that he used for the intro riff
Quote by steven seagull
A hammer's a hammer

Hmm, not quite.

There are some cheap hammers out there that aren't worth a fiddler's f*ck.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Hmm, not quite.

There are some cheap hammers out there that aren't worth a fiddler's f*ck.

And there are some scales out there that are all but useless; owning a high-quality hammer still doesn't make you capable of constructing a cabinet.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
That wasn't my point, though.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
That wasn't my point, though.

Just making sure the analogy continued to work

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by donp52084
you guys are both d o u c h e s

*reported*

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by steven seagull
...[ ].....It's like asking what tools somebody used to make a cabinet because you thought it was really well made. A hammer's a hammer, a screwdriver's a screwdriver, and owning them won't make you any better at making a cabinet.
With just a hammer and screwdriver, you won't build a from scratch, decent cabinet anyway. You need a fair assortment of very sharp, very dangerous, power woodworking shop tools. This is why the guy at the lumberyard is always nicknamed, "Stumpy"

For example, the only guy in wood shop who was allowed to use the jointer and such,. was the instructor...

THe devil's in the details:

When all is said and ALMOST done in cabinetry, the only thing that separates man from the animals is.... (wait for it)........sandpaper!

Moving right along, if the TS studies the scales that Randy uses diligently, will that make him a Rhoads Scholar?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 28, 2013,
Quote by Captaincranky
You won't build a from scratch decent cabinet, at least not without a fair assortment of power woodworking shop tools.

For example, the only guy in wood shop who was allowed to use the jointer and such,. was the instructor...

When all is said and ALMOST done, the only thing that separates man from the animals is.... (wait for it)........sandpaper!

Moving right along, if the TS studies the scales that Randy uses diligently, will that make him a Rhoads Scholar?

Maybe if TS comes back to his thread after 2 years...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Maybe if TS comes back to his thread after 2 years...
Then why the heck is it at the top of the pile....

Besides, it would be nice to know if he's graduated by now......
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 28, 2013,
Quote by Captaincranky
Then why the heck is it at the top of the pile....

Besides, it would be nice to know if he's graduated by now......

Post #19 is just bullshit spam.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
Randy does not use ANY scales! Randy is DEAD! Randy DID at one point fancy major/minor pentatonic, but at this here moment Randy prefers......The zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz scale!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Post #19 is just bullshit spam.
And the beat goes on! One quick question though, was Randy alive in 2011 when the thread was started?

I would like to point out, that these kids today can't be bothered to even type out the whole word, "your", preferring instead to use the "more hip", "ur".

With that in mind, how or why would you expect that they could get the verb tense or syntax correct in the topic question?

To wit, and that this juncture, it should read, "when he was still alive, what scales did Randy Rhodes use most frequently"?
Quote by Captaincranky
And the beat goes on! One quick question though, was Randy alive in 2011 when the thread was started?

I would like to point out, that these kids today can't be bothered to even type out the whole word, "your", preferring instead to use the "more hip", "ur".

With that in mind, how or why would you expect that they could get the verb tense or syntax correct in the topic question?

To wit, and that this juncture, it should read, "when he was still alive, what scales did Randy Rhodes use most frequently"?

well shit...the pent. scales! of course! sucker gets more action dead than i do alive!!!!