Hi folks,

I was browsing through an online store and I saw these Charvel guitars... now, I know next to nothing about them, but the specs they have are quite impressive for the money.

For example, the model called Charvel Pro Mod So-Cal Style is about 700 Euros and for this kind of money it has Dimarzio pickups (specifically, Evolution & Tone Zone), Grover tuners and a bridge called Floyd Rose FRT-O2000 (is this the same as an OFR??). Not bad at all, and quite tempting.

I know there are reviews out there, and I'll read them of course, but I'd also like opinions from the forum: if you own one, how's the fretwork, neck, quality, etc? What about this "FRT-O2000 bridge"? How can they have such specs for so cheap, when an equivalent Ibanez Prestige, for instance, is significantly more expensive?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
i played the so-cal; san dimas; and a wildcard one in a music store around the corner and i liked all of them. good quality guitars, japanese made.
the best thing about them is the neck. it feels great. the frt-2000 isnt that big of a deal. its better than a special but a tad worse than an original.

overall i can say, great bang for you buck and if you have the chance you should try one. a shredders delight and good for classic rock as well.
"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and i'm all out of bubblegum"
From what I've heard, the Japanese models are better value for money than the USA ones. They're basically the same quality, but cheaper.

The FRT-2000 is a Korean (?) made OFR. Its basically the same as a Schaller made OFR, it just isn't made of the same metal. Not a bad trem, just not quite as good as a Schaller Floyd or Schaller made OFR.
I bought a Charvel So Cal some weeks ago and yeah, it's a great guitar. I liked the Dimarzio equipped So Cal more than Duncan equipped San Dimas. I think the Floyd Rose is great and it won't go out of tune. I haven't had to retune it many times and I have a Les Paul which goes out of tune all the time. One bad thing about the FR on this guitar is that it's non-recessed so you can't bend up more than half steps with it. The neck is the best feeling neck I have tried.

Ibanez Prestiges are overpriced. You are paying for the name if you buy an Ibanez Prestige. I have tried one and I think Charvel beats it. The cheapest Prestiges don't even have Dimarzios but some Ibz pickups.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
i like the looks of the socal better. but if the floyd is non recessed, i dont need it at all.
"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and i'm all out of bubblegum"
If Heaven exists and I wind up there, St Peter better have a Charvel Surfcaster for me.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
…when an equivalent Ibanez Prestige, for instance, is significantly more expensive?

For the same reason that neon colored Japanese Ibanez guitars sell cheap on the used market; they remind people of hair bands. It doesn't matter how good the guitar is if most young guys will think it isn't cool no matter what.
Quote by littlephil
From what I've heard, the Japanese models are better value for money than the USA ones. They're basically the same quality, but cheaper.

The FRT-2000 is a Korean (?) made OFR. Its basically the same as a Schaller made OFR, it just isn't made of the same metal. Not a bad trem, just not quite as good as a Schaller Floyd or Schaller made OFR.

in my opinion the original schaller floyd from germany makes up for the extra 300 dollars plus i think the finishes add quite some too. what i've heard is also that the japanese made ones use some cheaper pots and wires.

i played the japanese ones and my USA production model. couldn't find that much of a difference in feel terms.
charvel necks are just like good women. nothing better.
i'd jump on it if i were you.
^ the usa production models had the korean floyd too... and (from what i read on the vintage kramer site... haven't corroborated it) had MIM necks.

So yeah. While I haven't tried the Japanese ones, I have tried the USA ones and am inclined to believe the people saying the MIJ ones are at least as good, for like 2/3 the price (and with a case, too). EDIT: the mij ones may well have cheaper pots and wire. Though I think i read someone's post on a forum somewhere which said it had a cts pot? maybe it was prophet of page on here
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I owned a Charvel back in the 80's and I loved it. Good neck, great sustain, looked cool too.