hey, I heard if you change string gauges you need to give your guitar a setup. My SG never stays in tune so Im putting on some new strins (10s) to see if it helps, but first I want to know whether i need to change stuff or get a setup or whether it wont make a difference.

Cheers,
Jimmi.
Going up just one gauge often does not require a setup. It's as good a time as any to learn how to adjust your truss rod and intonation, though. Check out the setup thread in EG.
Quote by Roc8995
Going up just one gauge often does not require a setup. It's as good a time as any to learn how to adjust your truss rod and intonation, though. Check out the setup thread in EG.

thanks.
Yes, it will require a setup. The tension changes a lot, & a professionally set up guitar will be set up so precisely that it will need another set up. It won't be essential, but in order for your guitar to play at its best then you should get it set up again.
Rock [James] Roll
Changing string gauge won't really fix your tuning problems. 99% of the time, tuning problems come from either a badly cut nut or the tuners themselves.
9s to 10s on an SG is highly unlikely to require a setup of any kind - shorter scale lengths tend to suit the heavier guage anyway.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ummm, No, thats BS.
My guitars came from the factory with the shittiest, thinnest, most pussy string gauges ever. Put on my set of .54's or .52's, none of that setup or innotation stuff, NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. Take that sissy string gauges and pricey setups and wasting time adjusting bullshit that could break your guitar if you **** it up.
METAL!
Quote by Ultraussie
Ummm, No, thats BS.
My guitars came from the factory with the shittiest, thinnest, most pussy string gauges ever. Put on my set of .54's or .52's, none of that setup or innotation stuff, NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. Take that sissy string gauges and pricey setups and wasting time adjusting bullshit that could break your guitar if you **** it up.

Quote by littlephil

My thoughts exactly.
Gear:
Fender American Tele (Lefty)
Squier Affinity Strat (Lefty)
Boss DS-1
EHX Small Clone
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Laney LG12
Danelectro FAB Flanger (Rubbish)
Quote by Ultraussie
Ummm, No, thats BS.

I bet those "pussy strings" made your beast of a BC Rich look like a childs play thing eh?
Man you're so metal.

Just so you know, I play in Drop Z with a BC Rich Warlock (Gauge 200 - Barbed Wire) and a Line 6 Spider 3 to have a tone that everyone desires.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Last edited by Mopy at May 29, 2011,
Quote by Mopy
I bet those "pussy strings" made your beast of a BC Rich look like a childs play thing eh?
Man you're so metal.

Just so you know, I play in Drop Z with a BC Rich Warlock (Gauge 200 - Barbed Wire) and a Line 6 Spider 3 to have a tone that everyone desires.

drop z huh?
Quote by arrthor
drop z huh?

Yup, the notes are so low they grind down into the center of the earth and fondle Satans balls...
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Ultraussie
Ummm, No, thats BS.

I wonder what He'd think to my previous use of 8-46's until they stopped supplying them :\
Quote by dann_blood
Proof he's a communist! He finally comes out, the nazi!
Quote by Mopy
Yup, the notes are so low they grind down into the center of the earth and fondle Satans balls...

and thats why satan loves metal, strumming himself to Ecstasy! (haha mighty boosh; great show)
Quote by littlephil
Changing string gauge won't really fix your tuning problems. 99% of the time, tuning problems come from either a badly cut nut or the tuners themselves.

+1. However of that 99% in my experience 98% of the time the nut slots are cut poorly causing string snag. The tuners on my SG hold tuning fine, a little lubrication in the nut snots solved my tuning problems fine.
Quote by Tyler.Allain
+1. However of that 99% in my experience 98% of the time the nut slots are cut poorly causing string snag. The tuners on my SG hold tuning fine, a little lubrication in the nut snots solved my tuning problems fine.

thanks, how do I tell if my guitar nut is broken or damaged?
Quote by Ultraussie
Ummm, No, thats BS.

well i went up from 10s to 11s on a couple of my guitars without making any adjustments and the necks gradually bent forwards more and more. i'm still in the process of correcting one of them... it's a gradual thing that can happen to a damaging extent over time so i'd recommend that you keep an eye on the neck. most of my guitars have been fine and not needed any adjustment, though.

you can only break your guitar if you don't know what you're doing, and if you're worried about breaking your guitar, well, that's the reason guitar techs exist. but you can do just as much damage just leaving it, too.

the neck might be fine, or it might slowly start to bow forwards - it's worth checking the neck every month or so anyway as part of your routine maintenance.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at May 29, 2011,