Hi. All the reviews I’ve read on the J bass say that it’s not suited for metal. Iv seem lots of metal bands e.g. The Dillinger Escape Plan, The Architects use them and their some of the most heaviest bands around. I want to know because i love the sound and look of J basses and toying with buying a standard Mexican model.
I think many guitars are "suited" for metal based on their looks. What matters is if you can get the sound you want out of it and it plays nice.
Jazz basses can do just about anything. And they actually CAN do anything with a pick up change
Oh jeez. I thought this was a thread for Japanese basses not Jazz basses.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
Jazz basses are fine. I mean, Frank Bello uses on and he sounds absolutely godlike.
Frank Bello's is a P/J configuration, not your traditional Jazz.
No bass is better than another for any particular genre, it's all down to your personal preferences and your technique really.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I use the jazz for everything. It's my favorite configuration for metal/modern rock.
However, when getting a live gig: the style of player and his/her bass SOMETIMES makes a difference if you get hired. (fitting in the image) I am older (35) and I can't run around stage. I stand in next to the drummers hi hat and play with my bass held high. Luckily where I live; the bar bands usually don't care too much about the bassist's stage presence as it's usually country/classic-southern rock that the bar patrons want. But I auditioned for a modern rock outfit a la Alter Bridge style and was told I didn't fit the bands image. O.k I can't knock em. They make $$$ playing live.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
i believe the guy from Oceano uses a jazz but i'm not sure.

She's so pretty in her casts
The prettiest thing I've ever seen
I only get to hold her when she's injured
I only get to kiss her where she's sore
Every other local metal (hardcore, deathcore, etc.) outfit where I'm at features a bassist with a Jazz bass. I can't go to a show without seeing a Jazz bass in action.

Yes, you can use a Jazz bass (like almost any other bass) in metal.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
I personally prefer P basses over jazz basses, simply because of that P bass growl, but I feel I must post this

Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by Alucard817
I personally prefer P basses over jazz basses, simply because of that P bass growl, but I feel I must post this

+1,000

The Jazz literally is metal.
Not the element, but the genre. Like stated earlier; a Jazz configuration can do alot.

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Last edited by loinmute at Jun 5, 2011,
Quote by Alucard817
I personally prefer P basses over jazz basses, simply because of that P bass growl

Same here, and I'm surprised they're not as prolific as Jazz basses, at least in my experience.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt
Quote by graybass_20x6
Same here, and I'm surprised they're not as prolific as Jazz basses, at least in my experience.

You kidding man? I would say it's about 50/50 with P's and J's
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by Alucard817

Where I'm at locally, I don't think anyone owns or plays a P Bass, or even anything with a P configuration. I have seen them much more when out touring and such. As a sample size, I'm just referring to my area, since it does seem like every metal band here plays a J Bass.

If I could have any bass for metal (as far as taste goes), I'd pick up a 5 string P Bass. I can hear the growl in my head already.

Quote by KISSguitarist

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt
The P bass has a large and dedicated following.

Quote by Alucard817

This, but for some reason Jazz's still seem to get more attention.

Just thought I'd throw it out there too: I know its about the pup configuration, but in that picture Rob's actually playing what looks like a modified Precision with J/J pickups. The pickguard is a dead giveaway.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
It is a modded P, wouldn't be surprised if those J pickups were active.

Jazz basses will do anything though, just give it a decent amp to rumble through and don't eq it to death.
Saw a 'metal band' at a bar which holds around 40 people max, bassist had a fender P bass deluxe P/J configuration, ampeg head with two 4x10 cabs and you still couldn't hear him. No clue about EQ, which just proves you can have all the gear and no idea.