I can play the basic major/minor barre chords fine, without having to put much effort into it. However, if I were to play a barre chord like this

e|-10-----10-----|
B|-10-----10-----|
G|-10-----10h12--|
D|-10h12--10-----|
A|-10-----10-----|
E|-10-----10-----|

I need to apply a ridiculous amount of pressure to get all the notes, and I still usually end up accidentally muting some strings.

And they get harder the farther up the neck I go. I can do them fairly easy up to the 6th fret, after that it becomes difficult.

Also, if I take away the low e string like this, I can do it just fine without applying much pressure at all:

e|-10-----10-----|
B|-10-----10-----|
G|-10-----10h12--|
D|-10h12--10-----|
A|-10-----10-----|
E|---------------|

I have small hands with skinny fingers, not sure if that's a factor besides poor technique but it's really frustrating me. Any advice?
Last edited by danleary at May 29, 2011,
Well if your just trying to get the note on the low e in the chord, you could always try thumb-fretting it, thats what i do.
What is the action on your guitar like? IE: How high up from the fretboard are the strings by the 12th fret? If you can get anymore than a fingernail underneath them then the action is too high and it'll be a bit trickier to barre those chords. You can adjust this by either adjusting your truss rod or checking to see if they are strung properly.

Also, it'll just get easier with practice.
If I thumb fret it then I end up muting the treble strings because of the way my index finger bends. I'd like to be able to do what Derek Trucks is doin here. (it's not exactly the same as what I tabbed, that was just an example of what I mean. This is in open e tuning anyways)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fukDidyz4y4
Oh how I hate Vevo and their commercials. There's many different factors that could allow Derek to play those chords, his neck could be alot thinner considering it's an SG. He could have longer fingers too, but honestly the best thing you could do is just practice it like Tps said. Just focus on the clarity of the notes and taking it slowly, then you should be able to play it easily after some practice.
The thing is I've been playin for 4 years, I practice every day but no matter how I approach this I can't seem to figure it out. I can't do it unless I apply a ridiculous amount of pressure, where it hurts my hand and it just doesn't feel natural. I remember when I used to be unable to play regular barre chords, back when I hadn't built up finger strength yet, but this feels completely different than that. I don't think it's a matter of weak hands, it's just I can't seem to find a comfortable position. My guitar is a 335, it's got a fat neck but that's not what's bothering me, it's the width that's getting me. It's like my index finger is too short to do what I want to do, but if I omit the low e I'm fine.

And it's definitely not an action issue, my guitar has been professionally set up, dressed, and the nut's been properly cut
Well you answered your own problem then. Playing guitar should never be painful, so if I were you I would just do the chord without the e string. Its better to have a clean chord minus one note then a full chord that sounds like crap. Sorry
Well I was at a friends and tried some of his guitars. Turns out my 335 does have a really wide neck, because I was able to do it fine on all of his guitars including a fat neck SG... complete revelation. Even he said that the neck on mine felt strange. I'm glad to say this is something I can overcome, I just need to get a guitar with a narrower neck.