Hello, I'm trying to decide what gear I should buy for recording. I'm buying a new computer soon, then I'm going to buy a Recording package, just something that comes with a multi-track recorder, mic and software.

What computers are good for recording and what are some good, but inexpensive recoding packages?
Okay well any computer that can do about 2.3GHz dual core processor with 2 GB RAM is what most people probably need at the least. If you are just planning on doing rock or metal that should do it. So really most computers in that range should work well for you.

For a recording package what you should shoot for is one with a audio interface, mic, and software if anything. If you get an interface you don't have to worry about multi track recorders.

Your best bet though is to buy the audio interface (you can read the million threads on those) and mic separate. For software you should look up Reaper it comes with a trail that never ends.
Also consider that most interfaces come with some audio recording software - usually a slightly stripped down but more user-friendly version of another popular platform that would otherwise cost hundreds of dollars.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
okay. Well i'm not really recording rock or metal. It'' mostly be either blues, or acoustic guitar and vocals.
Quote by FireHawk
i didn't want you crying all over the recording area

(we have the pit for that)

if I was gay I would put that in my sig. lol.
What does that have to do with being gay?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
The emu 0404 looks like a really solid audio interface. http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=15185 200 bucks i think. midi, xlr/1/4 inch inputs, adjustable gain, s/pdif inputs, usb, clipping monitors, direct monitor, 1/4 inch headphone out. The only negative i can see with this is that its not designed so much for music listening as for recording, so your missing some RCA jacks and it's supposed to sound a bit dry. I don't know particularly much about recording interfaces though, so there are probably others out there.