Alright guys, this is for you who are familiar with both units.

1. On the Fractal site, there are many factory and user presets. Most of them are ambient/post-rock-ish.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/experience.html
^that's the link for the audio clips.

Is the Line 6 Pod Hd500 capable of the same sounds?

2. The Axe-Fx models all the amps i'd ever need. The PodHd, on the other hand, has a fairly limited number of amp models. I've also found out that Line 6 has added three new amp models.
So my question is: For how long, and how many amp models do you think Line 6 will keep adding for free without before a whole new version of Pod?

Reason for the question: I need something good to record with, i can wait to save up for the Axe-fx, but i'm getting a good deal on a Line 6 Pod Hd500.

Thanks a lot,

Saib.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Isnt your vypyr capable of all that?

1. It's not as great for recording at low volumes.
2. I need at times several simultaneous effects such as two delays and two reverbs for ambient stuff, and post-rock, not to mention a few filters, etc.
3. The delay on the Vypyr isnt as tweakable as i'd like.
4. The USB out on it sounds pretty meh. I tried, trust me.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
I'd save up for the Axe. I have the HD500 and it's great and everything but no doubt the Axe is better.

As for the sounds, you can do a lot of crazy stuff with the HD500 but I doubt you can make as crafty sounds as the Axe.

I went for the HD500 because it's a pedal board with it's own expression pedal and is awesome for the price. With the Axe you already pay a ton of money, then you have to buy a midi controller, which I can only assume is sort of a pain to configure as you'd have to make everything up. But if given the choice I'd go for the Axe. Better amp models and way more effects.
Quote by Ravenfaust
1. It's not as great for recording at low volumes.
2. I need at times several simultaneous effects such as two delays and two reverbs for ambient stuff, and post-rock, not to mention a few filters, etc.
3. The delay on the Vypyr isnt as tweakable as i'd like.
4. The USB out on it sounds pretty meh. I tried, trust me.

For the Axe you'll need to buy a separate interface btw.
I can get pretty wild sounds with one delay, one mod effect and a swell gate on my RP then again I still have two LFO's to play with
the pod hd will be able to do all sorts of ambient and effect heavy tones. Can it do as much as you would do on an axe fx? I don't know. Not sure exactly what kinds of tones you are after.

Yes the number of models are limited on the pod, but it started at 16 and is now at 22. Most of the new ones are the "other" channels on existing amps, but the fact that the new ones have been released means they will likely come out with more over time.

Also, to me it isn't about the number of amp models. You can do so much tweaking, you can make the amps sound nothing like themselves. You could use a fender twin and fender bassman, put an eq on each one with eq curves completely different from the amps normal response, and blend them together in such a way that it no longer sounds quite like either amp.

I think that dismissing a modeler because it is missing a certain amp is dumb because if you are buying a modeler for one amp, maybe you should just skip it and save up for that amp instead.

Sorry for the long response. I will be ordering a pod hd500 in the next few days and I will review any kind of crazy tone you would like to hear when it gets here haha.

One last thing, think about the price. The hd500 is 500. There is everything you need, the modeler and foot controller. The axe fx is around 2000, not counting used prices and whatnot, and the foot controller is....I'm going to say 700 out of memory. And if it was me I would want to have a rack to hold it, then you need a cable to hook it up. Almost 3000 will be spent if buying everythign new. I'd say if you went with a used axe fx you might be able to get everything under 2000 if you are lucky and patient. So I say do as much research on each as you can and then decide if the price difference is worth it.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
Also, to me it isn't about the number of amp models. You can do so much tweaking, you can make the amps sound nothing like themselves. You could use a fender twin and fender bassman, put an eq on each one with eq curves completely different from the amps normal response, and blend them together in such a way that it no longer sounds quite like either amp.

I think that dismissing a modeler because it is missing a certain amp is dumb because if you are buying a modeler for one amp, maybe you should just skip it and save up for that amp instead.

I've been following this thread for a while now, and I need to ask the TS a question.

How many amps do you really use?

I've had quite a few modelers - floorboards and amps. I also have a few software modelers on my computer, but I've come to realise one very important thing. I only use a select number of amps and effects. I don't think I regularly use more than 3 to 4 different amp on each modeler.

I think quite a number of people on UG will agree - they find 1 or 2 or 3 amps they like very much and stick to that amp. Most people don't need more than a few tweaked sounds.

In that light, you really need to consider what you are getting the AxeFX for.

I had plans to get an AxeFX -> Mesa Stereo 2:Ninety power amp. Then I realised that I only really needed one clean sound, one crunch sound and one extreme sound, and then I can vary the nuances of these 3 keys tones for the rest of my sounds.

Are you one to get one unique sound for each of your songs? Or do you have multiple variations of a few key tones that you use? If you fall into the latter, maybe you should evaluate the need for so many amps? Are you really going to use all the models regularly? Or are you wasting money for versatility that you will never make full use of?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by InanezGuitars44
the pod hd will be able to do all sorts of ambient and effect heavy tones. Can it do as much as you would do on an axe fx? I don't know. Not sure exactly what kinds of tones you are after.

Yes the number of models are limited on the pod, but it started at 16 and is now at 22. Most of the new ones are the "other" channels on existing amps, but the fact that the new ones have been released means they will likely come out with more over time.

Quote by Ignite
I'd save up for the Axe. I have the HD500 and it's great and everything but no doubt the Axe is better.

As for the sounds, you can do a lot of crazy stuff with the HD500 but I doubt you can make as crafty sounds as the Axe.

I went for the HD500 because it's a pedal board with it's own expression pedal and is awesome for the price. With the Axe you already pay a ton of money, then you have to buy a midi controller, which I can only assume is sort of a pain to configure as you'd have to make everything up. But if given the choice I'd go for the Axe. Better amp models and way more effects.

Quote by ragingkitty

I had plans to get an AxeFX -> Mesa Stereo 2:Ninety power amp. Then I realised that I only really needed one clean sound, one crunch sound and one extreme sound, and then I can vary the nuances of these 3 keys tones for the rest of my sounds.

Are you one to get one unique sound for each of your songs? Or do you have multiple variations of a few key tones that you use? If you fall into the latter, maybe you should evaluate the need for so many amps? Are you really going to use all the models regularly? Or are you wasting money for versatility that you will never make full use of?

Thanks for addressing my problem so well.
To be honest, i was worried about the fact that i'd buy the Pod only to watch it get obsolete soon and with the newer versions of the Pod getting amp models i'd irrationally lust after.
Plus there is a lack of post-rock/ambient demos of the PodHd500, so i'd been wondering...
Also, i was always more likely to get the PodHd500, and then got a pretty good deal on one, so i thought i should ask people better informed and experienced than me before taking the plunge.
I was more worried about the effects than the amp models, but it was a question that cropped up in my head, so i thought i'd ask.

The AxeFx is a distant option, as it is. I have around $700 saved up and i havent sold any of my gear yet so getting a used Fractal is a long way ahead..maybe someday when digital technology becomes even better and paying so much for a Fractal becomes even more justifiable. Being a student right now, i'd even be earning by then.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
there a re plenty of demos of ambient stuff for the m9/m13. the hd500 has the exact same effects as the m series, so watching demos of those would be a good indicator of the tones
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Ravenfaust
Thanks for addressing my problem so well.
To be honest, i was worried about the fact that i'd buy the Pod only to watch it get obsolete soon and with the newer versions of the Pod getting amp models i'd irrationally lust after.
Plus there is a lack of post-rock/ambient demos of the PodHd500, so i'd been wondering...
Also, i was always more likely to get the PodHd500, and then got a pretty good deal on one, so i thought i should ask people better informed and experienced than me before taking the plunge.
I was more worried about the effects than the amp models, but it was a question that cropped up in my head, so i thought i'd ask.

The AxeFx is a distant option, as it is. I have around $700 saved up and i havent sold any of my gear yet so getting a used Fractal is a long way ahead..maybe someday when digital technology becomes even better and paying so much for a Fractal becomes even more justifiable. Being a student right now, i'd even be earning by then.

It wont get obsolete for at least the next 4-5 years.
A computer will be obsolete in six months. Because the volumes sold allow makers to invest a LOT in R&D.
Line 6 doesnt get anywhere NEAR enough sales to justify the R&D and cost of releasing a new pedal less than at least 4-5 years after launch. Which is why the old Floor POD and POD 2.0 are still being sold.
Digitech's RP series has been going strong for the past 3 years now unless Im wrong?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at May 30, 2011,
Thanks a lot.

Okay, to add something, how do the RP and the Pod Hd compare?
Just for comparison so that i can know the quality gap..
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!