I have an Epiphone Les Paul, standard strings from 0.10 gauge to... 0.46

How much slack should I leave for each string when re-stringing?
I'm not sure I understand your concern here.

You should tune each string to the pitch you want it to be at.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
There's no magic length. Obviously the thicker strings will have fewer wounds than the thinner strings. Go check out a few Youtube videos and watch how they do it.
Yeah you guys are real helpful...
When I restring I usually put about a hand's width between the nut and the string and start winding from there. Just the distance across your four knuckles, excluding thumb.
But that's still not really a reliable measure because it's different for each string - you want enough for at least 2 or 3 turns on each string but that doesn't equate to a consistent length on each string
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The simplest and most effective way to put a new string on is as follows: Through the bridge, over the saddle, over the nut, pull it taught with your hand and wrap it around the tuning peg twice, thread the string through the tuning peg ensuring that it goes over the already wrapped string and then wind it up. That's how I've done it for years and it's never failed me.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
He means how much slack you should leave before you start winding.

But yeah, there's not really a specific length. You sort of have to learn by doing.

Oh I see.

I always just stick it through the post at the headstock, bend the end of the string up so it holds it loosely there, and start turning. I usually don't let it go around the post more than two or three times.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I usually add 1.5 to 2" past the peg. If you add so much that the winds have to overlap then it's too much.
Quote by Duv
Start trying with about 1.5" to 2" past the tuning peg, or about two and a half tuning pegs length. Drop it to about two tuning pegs for the higher strings.

Trial and error padwan.

Agreed.
I am a fake mountain.
I put my middle finger on the 12th fret and lift up on the string with the rest of my fingers.

Then I bend the end of the string and wind it up.