Hey guys, I have a short pinky. So I cant reach frets that are after the 12th on the 6th and 5th strings easily. What can I do to solve this problem? Any exercises?
Last edited by ThEgAmE93 at May 29, 2011,
Lol I don't wish for a transplant. I just wanna learn any exercises that could enable me to reach the higher strings.
Quote by St. Chambo
Surely the technology is there for a pinky transplant?

Maybe that's a bit too much...
would just use 3 fingers for the lower strings
and then all for the higher strings/...
Quote by ThEgAmE93
Hey guys, I have a short pinky. So I cant reach frets that are after the 12th on the 6th and 5th strings easily. What can I do to solve this problem? Any exercises?

You can't reach those frets easily because you're not used to it, it's got nothing to do with the size of your hands.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have a short pinky too and when I started playing it was a problem for me too. You have to shift your hand position behind the neck to reach them more easily. After awhile it will come naturally
So how should I practice in order to enable me to reach the high strings with my pinky?
Quote by ThEgAmE93
So how should I practice in order to enable me to reach the high strings with my pinky?

Yes
Aha I have the same problem as you guys! It isn't freakishly short or anything and nobody's really commented on it but it's about an inch shorter than it should be because the rest of my fingers are very long. I just compensate with my ring finger for playing, and I've strengthened it an insane amount so now I naturally shred, sweep, tap and do all my legato with just my index, middle and ring finger. People often tell me I'm good but that I'd be extraordinary if only I used my little finger. Trouble is, I can't *sniffs*

and if this has something to do with anything, I'm only 14 so maybe my fingers will grow? I'm 6"2 so maybe I've stopped growing already? *sobs in corner*
Cant reach them at all and cant reach them easily are two different things.

Check your posture, maybe try playing guitar in classical position.
In the end its just about getting used to it, take your time and keep playing, eventually it will be no big deal.
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Django Reinhardt played some of the most complicated pieces I've ever heard, and he only had useable two fingers, as his others were paralysed after severe burns he suffered in an accident.

If he found a way, so you can you. Be creative with your fingering, move your hand more when moving through a pattern, or if you're seriously afflicted and can't be bothered with either - just go buy a new guitar with smaller frets.
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR
LTD EC1000 FR
LTD H1007 FR

Bass
ESP Surveyor

Line 6 Pod HD500

Wanted: ESP XJ-6, ESP Classic 400 Strat/Tele or ESP Traditional Series Strat/Tele

Dig Symphonic Metal or Visual Kei < Click.
Quote by theangelofmeth
Aha I have the same problem as you guys! It isn't freakishly short or anything and nobody's really commented on it but it's about an inch shorter than it should be because the rest of my fingers are very long. I just compensate with my ring finger for playing, and I've strengthened it an insane amount so now I naturally shred, sweep, tap and do all my legato with just my index, middle and ring finger. People often tell me I'm good but that I'd be extraordinary if only I used my little finger. Trouble is, I can't *sniffs*

and if this has something to do with anything, I'm only 14 so maybe my fingers will grow? I'm 6"2 so maybe I've stopped growing already? *sobs in corner*

Django Renihardt had 2 working fingers on his fretting hand after a fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoIJ4W7kXiQ&playnext=1&list=PL9DEE4E6C2410DB6F

Jeff Healey was blind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikHI7_PMFNc

Rick Renstrom...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqgTdVuGrAQ

you, on the other hand have NO physical limitations whatsoever, it's all in your mind.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ethan_hanus
So...your trying to stretch your hand from the 5th or 6th fret past the 12th fret??? I didn't know that was possible, that's like, 6 or 7 inches.

Quote by ThEgAmE93

Not a bad attempt tho...
Quote by the_white_bunny
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Woops, well, still, that doesn't make any sense, they aint' that far away.

i thought you were just trolling him
Quote by the_white_bunny
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Quote by ThEgAmE93
Lol I don't wish for a transplant. I just wanna learn any exercises that could enable me to reach the higher strings.

Everyone thought he was serious
Zune Tag: Metal4life 1976
PlayStation Network: Koltzow

Quote by Bearded_Seth
At least you know you're attractive..

Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'd smack his ass too.
Quote by ethan_hanus
So...your trying to stretch your hand from the 5th or 6th fret past the 12th fret??? I didn't know that was possible, that's like, 6 or 7 inches.

My pinky is short and I can do the 5 - 12 thingy
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Maybe you guys misunderstood me. What I meant was. I cant play anything easily on the 5th and 6th strings after the 12 frets. My pinky could only reach the 4th strings after the 12 frets. So I wanna know if there are any exercises to overcome this problem. Thanks
Quote by ThEgAmE93
Maybe you guys misunderstood me. What I meant was. I cant play anything easily on the 5th and 6th strings after the 12 frets. My pinky could only reach the 4th strings after the 12 frets. So I wanna know if there are any exercises to overcome this problem.

Yeah, your general bone-headed, one-finger-per-fret chromatic stuff will work just fine.

I don't understand why people feel that they need some special exercises to learn things when usually the simplest/oldest ones are the best. A little common sense goes a long way.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by ThEgAmE93
Maybe you guys misunderstood me. What I meant was. I cant play anything easily on the 5th and 6th strings after the 12 frets. My pinky could only reach the 4th strings after the 12 frets. So I wanna know if there are any exercises to overcome this problem. Thanks

Look at your technique, your posture, your wrist, the position of your thumb on the back of the neck.

Those things are what's stopping you from reaching those frets but you can't fix those problems with exercises, you just have to do it and then drill some stuff to make sure it becomes natural and you don't fall back into the poor technique you're using now.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.