Hey Guys,

Me and my friends started a band about 6months ago. The trouble is that, due to a lack of bassists amongst my friends, we settled for our mate who had only been playing for a month or so when we started.
To begin with it was okay- he started to improve and we wrote some basic stuff for him. But then his playing starting to stagnate and he became an asshole- thinking he was a much better bassist than he was and not actually doing anything to help himself improve at all, which as you can guess is starting to be really detrimental and pissing the rest of us off...
So my question is to you guys; Do I try wait for him to improve and try and help him, or do I tell him to go?

Cheers
I guess it depends on what you want to do with the band. This is just my policy, and not based on anything but my own preferences, but I find for covers, I need to work with the most competent musicians possible, the most professional, so in that case I'd say he has to go. Whereas for originals, I would much rather work with someone not as talented musically, but who I can hang out with and spend all that necessary writing time with.

But that aside, if he refuses to take criticism, or try to help himself, you might have had this decision made for you...
If he's being a dick to the point of harming the band's capacity to write/perform/coexist, show him the door.

If he's acting this way because he's actually insecure about his ability to play his instrument, call him on it.

I hate kicking someone out without trying to resolve the situation, but sometimes, with some people, there is no resolution. Talk to the guy about it - he's your friend, right?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
if he is hurting the band, then you should give him a warning. if he chooses not to change, or becomes worse, then kick him. yeah it sucks especially if you are firends but he's hurting your band......
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by Powersurge213
Hey Guys,

Me and my friends started a band about 6months ago. The trouble is that, due to a lack of bassists amongst my friends, we settled for our mate who had only been playing for a month or so when we started.
To begin with it was okay- he started to improve and we wrote some basic stuff for him. But then his playing starting to stagnate and he became an asshole- thinking he was a much better bassist than he was and not actually doing anything to help himself improve at all, which as you can guess is starting to be really detrimental and pissing the rest of us off...
So my question is to you guys; Do I try wait for him to improve and try and help him, or do I tell him to go?

Cheers

Its funny you post this! Cause it sounds like the story of my band. We kept with him though, but we sat him down and talked to him and told him what was up and ever since its been great!. So my advice to you maybe you all sit him down and talk to him!
^That's a good idea, however if he doesn't change his attitude you should start looking for a new bassist.

I suggest you expand you're search. Limiting your search to "amongst your friends" is always going to make it hard to find bandmates. You definitely don't have to already be friends with someone to be in a band with them. Ask around and see if you can find any friends of friends who play bass.

If you're in school or uni it's usually pretty easy to find musicians once you expand your search from people you normally talk to. The more you expand you're search, the more chance you will have of getting someone who really clicks with you and the rest of your band.

Most bands don't start out as best friends, often it's a couple of friends who recruit the rest of the band. And once you start seeing these people twice a week you'll become friends anyway. Just make sure that you find someone who fits with you're music style and you're personalities.
In my opinion you have 3 options

a- Tell him to sharpen his act up.
b- Get rid of him and put an add in the local paper for a new bassist that isn't a self-centred asshole or
c- learn bass yourself and find a different guitarist

That would be my view
You know a lot of these problems that get posted in this forum could be easily be solved by one thing; Communication. This is key in being in a band. You need to communicate with each other and communicate well. Most of these problems could be sovled if you the people that posted them sat down and talked to their band mates. And I mean talked, not ordering, not argueing, not shouting but talking.
-Mithaearon-
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Just sit down and talk with him that he needs to beef up his playing skills. If my whole band told me I needed to improve it would motivate me.