Im starting a LP DC Build! Yay! My plans are:
DC Body style
Cherrywood Top
Walnut/Mahagony (I have a blank of each, not sure which to use yet)
2, Gibson pickups (out of my friends old busted up gibson sg)
4, 500K Volume/Tone pots
1, Epiphone SG neck (it's bolt on)
Some Grover tuners
TOM Bridge
Gold speed knobs
Creme Pickup rings

My main issues are the routing of the neck pocket and the neck angle.
I know that you need that 4 degree angle, but as far as i can tell this Epi neck doesnt have that angle (it's bolt on). I planned to just use it as a set neck (I dont want to mess around with carving my own neck, I do not have those skills yet).

So I need some help, advice, info, etc on how to do this neck and routing (keep in mind im doing a dual pickup set up).

Thanks UG!
Last edited by thehardwayout at May 29, 2011,
Firstly build your own neck! Its not that hard. The hardest part is mesuring the frets right an that isnt to dificult and pre sloted fret boards can be brought. Secondly the neck probably dosn't have an angle on it since it is a bolt on, the angle would most likely be in the neck pocket.
Quote by da_
Firstly build your own neck! Its not that hard. The hardest part is mesuring the frets right an that isnt to dificult and pre sloted fret boards can be brought. Secondly the neck probably dosn't have an angle on it since it is a bolt on, the angle would most likely be in the neck pocket.

If he's using a TOM - chances are he'd want an angle, bolt on or not. It sits too high, unless its recessed into the body. The action at the higher frets would be significantly higher than that of the lower ones. The neck angle is dependent on the type of bridge, not the set method of the neck.

Just saying... I'm not an expert but I've done a lot of swapping parts and setting up of guitars... and built a couple, and first impressions tell me that.

Edit: wait. yeah, nevermind. Neck itself wont have an angle, but the neck pocket needs one - read your reply too quickly... its 8 in the morning here ;_;
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212