I understand when an artist has a very recognizable signature model companies want to sell it. I'm even willing to bet it is an easy sell. My question is why do they seem to pump them out distastefully after their death? The biggest example is the Dean Razorback. Yes Dimebag was one of the biggest and most influential guitarists of our time. The problem is that he was tragically killed a few years back and some how Dean has been pumping his guitar out like the world will end if they don't They even put out a series of bass guitars based on his. He didn't play bass! Or if he did it wasn't actively and involving him ordering a custom one for Dean. I could understand if they made a Quorthon custom everything, but he played everything for Bathory and Quorthon with the exception of drums on some stuff. He did everything so a Quorthon bass would be appropriate. Let's all be thankful Quorthon didn't have a custom model (I don't even know if he had endorsements to be honest).

Here is a good idea

When an artist dies continue to make their guitar if they were popular. Keep the number of models down to one or two styles with a couple of paint jobs each, or keep it to one if they were known for having a special color that was almost used exclusively. Keep it high end call it a tribute series so that it is tasteful. Don't ruin one of your big people's good name with your cheap cash ins.

Thoughts?
I'm not a fan of them myself. I don't want people to say "Oh, he plays a Clapton/Dimebag/Herman Li guitar.

But then again, I'm not the entire guitar market. If people want them that's cool. For instance, Dean do use Dimebag a lot, but they have a lot of other models out as well. They're not purely Dimebag, really.

The only thing that does annoy me is for a pickup change and a logo difference, some companies will charge massive amounts.
My question is why do they seem to pump them out distastefully after their death?

Well, because they can make a ton of money that way. It's not right, but that would logically be why a company would do something like that. Very few companies are your friend - every company wants you to think they're your friend with your best interests at heart, but only until they have your money.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Dean wouldn't be so bad about the Dimebag stuff if they made em high end, actual "tributes." Instead they must have the legitimate though process of "I'm sure Dimebag wanted a Made in China replica of his ML, except with his face on the front. That's totally what he wanted before he died." The Razorbacks would have been acceptable if they didn't make so many cheap POS ones, and actually made them how Dimebag designed them.
Quote by EFGuitar
*cough* les paul... *cough*

This,
+ I played the Herman Li signature, IMHO worth the money. all $2700 of it.
I don't mind signature guitars at all, but I wouldn't use it as my base guitar. It's their signature, not mine. And yes I agree with the Razorback thing, making millions of dollars just because of his name is ludicrous. It's just a label. That's all it is. That's why anything cost more when it's name brand or has a label.
well i like ibanez signature guitars cuase they are different than the usual
like pgs fireman guiatars or the jems or the js models not just a regular model with a different paintjob and the name on them

but i wouldnt want to buy a singature guitar that just has a pick up change and a name on them...i could do that myself
Quote by EFGuitar
*cough* les paul... *cough*

lol
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
i want a time mahony prs
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
i can understand buying a signature guitar if it has some unusual specs to it that fit you're need, but i wouldnt play anything instantly recognizable as a signature like the Synester Gates models. i dont want a name or band symbol on my guitars. And agreed about Dean. He was a great player but Dean has put out so many cheap guitars with his name on it its sad. most guitarists laugh or warn people away whenever they hear "Razorback". he could have had some great models but they just handled them badly
Quote by shecter guy
i can understand buying a signature guitar if it has some unusual specs to it that fit you're need, but i wouldnt play anything instantly recognizable as a signature like the Synester Gates models. i dont want a name or band symbol on my guitars. And agreed about Dean. He was a great player but Dean has put out so many cheap guitars with his name on it its sad. most guitarists laugh or warn people away whenever they hear "Razorback". he could have had some great models but they just handled them badly

Yes you think his estate would be handling this a tad differently and saying okay these can't be garbage and ruin his good name. In life you have your name and that is it, nothing else. They are running his into the ground.

Quote by ThatDarnDavid
i want a time mahony prs

Somehow I think PRS is handling things in a more tasteful and elite way then most companies would. They are known for even their lowest end products being high quality, I don't think they would put out garbage.

Also as a quick aside does anyone know if there were endorsement deals done with Bathory?