Is there a chart or website where I can finally start to really drill these chords? I see them all the time, especially during leads and fills. They involve the top E,B,G strings such as Dm, D, etc...
What would be better is to learn chords all over the fretboard and only play the top 3 strings.
It'll be better in the long run. Why? Because you'll see the entire chord and won't have to relearn anything if you want to learn how to play chords everywhere.

That's basically how the 3 string chords are made any way.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
incorrect ^
You certainly do need to learn chords only involving the top three strings
inversions are very important... as a jazz guitarist i rarely play the 6th or 5th string when comping
Quote by Sean0913
Learn all the notes on the neck first, then learn how to name any triad.

Best,

Sean

Very true. But learning the shapes is very helpful as well. at least to me to begin with.
So.. any site with diagrams of these chords? I was looking for but couldn't find one
I know Lucifer so well I call him by his first name...I say, "Hey Lou!"
Quote by FlexEXP
Very true. But learning the shapes is very helpful as well. at least to me to begin with.

Basically, learn the caged system. It will do wonders for your chord work.

Until then these shapes are the simplest and probably used the most.
(D) Minor
E-5
B-6
G-7

And (D) major.
E-5
B-7
G-7

These chords are obviously moveable and are based off the 5th string root shapes. I don't know how much you know about chords, so I'm sorry if this is condescending but these shapes are great because they are concise but contain all the notes a chord needs. Root, third and then fifth. Major and minor triads basically, with the root as the lowest note. There are other chords but they involve inversions, for example.

(D) minor
E-10
B-10
G-10

and (D) major

E-10
B-10
G-11

Both these chords are triads but first inversions. Both based off 6th string root chords.

Hopefully this helps you? Let me know if I wasn't clear. Also, I'd still urge you to learn caged system, not a quick fix but the results will be well worth it.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Venice King
Basically, learn the caged system. It will do wonders for your chord work.

Until then these shapes are the simplest and probably used the most.
(D) Minor
E-5
B-6
G-7

And (D) major.
E-5
B-7
G-7

These chords are obviously moveable and are based off the 5th string root shapes. I don't know how much you know about chords, so I'm sorry if this is condescending but these shapes are great because they are concise but contain all the notes a chord needs. Root, third and then fifth. Major and minor triads basically, with the root as the lowest note. There are other chords but they involve inversions, for example.

(D) minor
E-10
B-10
G-10

and (D) major

E-10
B-10
G-11

Both these chords are triads but first inversions. Both based off 6th string root chords.

Hopefully this helps you? Let me know if I wasn't clear. Also, I'd still urge you to learn caged system, not a quick fix but the results will be well worth it.

Very helpful, makes sense. I'm just tired of playing certain songs and wondering what the hell chord it is. Thank you for clarifying so much here. I'll definitely go back over the CAGED system stuff again, I definitely know that's the next thing I need to do in my self teaching journey.

PS: Frusciante = win
Last edited by FlexEXP at May 29, 2011,
Quote by FlexEXP
Very helpful, makes sense. I'm just tired of playing certain songs and wondering what the hell chord it is. Thank you for clarifying so much here. I'll definitely go back over the CAGED system stuff again, I definitely know that's the next thing I need to do in my self teaching journey.

PS: Frusciante = win

Coincidently he uses these things alot in his music.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.